Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know the platform Longmire was on when he made that comment?

Radio? or the Monday presser?
It's from his Monday press conference, which is up on the Swans' website.

He returns to the theme a couple more times during the press conference, and checks himself at one point when encouraging the old South faithful to turn up on Friday night to give the team another chance to play in front of a home crowd.

Amazing win. The last quarter is exactly what the team needed, it'll unlock our form & finals push. Signs were promising earlier in the game with an uptick in pressure & tackling, albeit not consistently. It was enough to sow the seeds of belief & confidence in the players.

It all came together in that final quarter where some of our key leaders stood up. Heeney, Parker, Warner went to another level to drag us over the line. That will unlock new found confidence for those players to step it up again in the finals. I loved our handball chains coming out of defence. Finally our structure improved too which was missing for large parts of the game.

I don't think it's possible to have 4 quarter form reversal when a team like us are in a slump. It will always be periods of game where improvement occurs & then a quarter or half of top notch footy. That's exactly what happened in this game. We had the final quarter of brilliance.

For all those who said last week that Warner should be dropped "to send a message" maybe you should stop posting on what the selectors should do.
I'm still concerned with our method of play. Watching GWS and even more so Hawthorn running in waves with handball from one to another and then a third is one aspect of the game that has completely disappeared from us. This was what made us so electrifying in the first 13 weeks. Also, I'm concerned that we seem to have reverted into simply bombing the ball long into the forward line expecting someone to take a pack mark. Not going to happen too often.

Watching live at the ground, I think Luke Parker needs to play more inside mid minutes, his last quarter allowed the likes of Heeney & Warner to explode from contests while Parker was feeding them the ball.

He was also a bit ineffective in the forward line with our current set up because when the ball hit the ground his lack of speed was noticeable. I don't know if he can co-exist in a forward line with Amartey & Mclean. Amartey & Parker were playing the same aerial role when one of them should've been crumbing, the balance was off in our forward line imo.

TLDR - Parker more mid mins pls.

For all those who said last week that Warner should be dropped "to send a message" maybe you should stop posting on what the selectors should do.
I'm still concerned with our method of play. Watching GWS and even more so Hawthorn running in waves with handball from one to another and then a third is one aspect of the game that has completely disappeared from us. This was what made us so electrifying in the first 13 weeks. Also, I'm concerned that we seem to have reverted into simply bombing the ball long into the forward line expecting someone to take a pack mark. Not going to happen too often.

We bombed it less & utilised the handball chains a lot more in the last quarter. I hope we continue that for the rest of the season, the win should give confidence to the players to back their handballing ability.

We were doing what GWS/Hawks do in the last quarter and at least 50% less bombing it in hopelessly, hopefully that has woken them up in how to play, use our skills.

I think you make the point that we know how to do this. We were doing it. I don't fully understand why we've moved away from it a bit, although it's only been totally absent in the Dogs and Power games, and there we just couldn't win the ball at contests (both games) or execute basic skills (especially the Port game).

I think some clues come from Gulden's observation that it is taxing to play in the high energy mode for a full game, or even parts of games. Maybe it was exhaustion, maybe it was "boredom". Maybe it's around connection and trust in team mates, maybe in confidence (linked to connection and trust).

We can only hope that the final quarter against Collingwood reminded the players of what it feels like to play higher tempo, risk taking football, and the results that brings. And that we see them execute it for the remaining six weeks of football for the season.

I think you also have to take account of the opposition and the pressure they are applying. Each one of Collingwood, the Bulldogs and, especially, Port applied a huge amount of pressure to our players every time they got the ball. Brisbane did to some extent, though not to the level of the last three opponents. And our game style was far more evident against Brisbane than in the last three matches. Indeed, had we actually started playing in the first quarter against Brisbane (another familiar theme that I don't quite understand), we'd have won that game comfortably.

We looked as good against North as Hawthorn did against Carlton. It's pretty easy to play that kind of football when your opposition isn't trying very hard to stop you, either structurally or via pressure on the ball carrier. As that Hawks Carlton game went on, the Blues became increasing unable to counter what Hawthorn were doing due to loss of personnel. Without taking away (too much) from Hawthorn's performance, any team could have looked a million dollars against Carlton yesterday, especially in the second half.

I think you make the point that we know how to do this. We were doing it. I don't fully understand why we've moved away from it a bit, although it's only been totally absent in the Dogs and Power games, and there we just couldn't win the ball at contests (both games) or execute basic skills (especially the Port game).

I think some clues come from Gulden's observation that it is taxing to play in the high energy mode for a full game, or even parts of games. Maybe it was exhaustion, maybe it was "boredom". Maybe it's around connection and trust in team mates, maybe in confidence (linked to connection and trust).

We can only hope that the final quarter against Collingwood reminded the players of what it feels like to play higher tempo, risk taking football, and the results that brings. And that we see them execute it for the remaining six weeks of football for the season.

I think you also have to take account of the opposition and the pressure they are applying. Each one of Collingwood, the Bulldogs and, especially, Port applied a huge amount of pressure to our players every time they got the ball. Brisbane did to some extent, though not to the level of the last three opponents. And our game style was far more evident against Brisbane than in the last three matches. Indeed, had we actually started playing in the first quarter against Brisbane (another familiar theme that I don't quite understand), we'd have won that game comfortably.

We looked as good against North as Hawthorn did against Carlton. It's pretty easy to play that kind of football when your opposition isn't trying very hard to stop you, either structurally or via pressure on the ball carrier. As that Hawks Carlton game went on, the Blues became increasing unable to counter what Hawthorn were doing due to loss of personnel. Without taking away (too much) from Hawthorn's performance, any team could have looked a million dollars against Carlton yesterday, especially in the second half.
Further on the theme of tiredness and withstanding physical pressure. I watched most of Hawks v Blues yesterday and noticed Weddle who we passed on (or swapped so Hawks could take). He could run through brick walls. Kicked three goals. We picked two twigs before Mitchell. We will probably delist both without firing a shot.
We have done this far too often IMO.
Warner is our "Dusty" but he is 8kg lighter. Both of our KPDs are 194cm. I like Hayward but look at Walter or Caddy. 10kg heavier.
Grundy's impact has not just been his ruck work but his work as a big-bodied inside mid.
Perhaps our players' bodies are not up to the level of pressure required.

Further on the theme of tiredness and withstanding physical pressure. I watched most of Hawks v Blues yesterday and noticed Weddle who we passed on (or swapped so Hawks could take). He could run through brick walls. Kicked three goals. We picked two twigs before Mitchell. We will probably delist both without firing a shot.
We have done this far too often IMO.
Warner is our "Dusty" but he is 8kg lighter. Both of our KPDs are 194cm. I like Hayward but look at Walter or Caddy. 10kg heavier.
Grundy's impact has not just been his ruck work but his work as a big-bodied inside mid.
Perhaps our players' bodies are not up to the level of pressure required.
Will Gould...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Votes
Player (Club)
Isaac Heeney (SYD)
7 Darcy Cameron (COLL)
6 Chad Warner (SYD)
5 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)
1 Will Hayward (SYD)
1 Josh Daicos (COLL)

3 in the top 10 :heart::heartssuit::heart:

Leaderboard​

VotesPlayerClub
102Isaac HeeneySYD
99Nick DaicosCOLL
99Caleb SerongFRE
95Patrick CrippsCARL
89Lachie NealeBL
84Marcus BontempelliWB
78Errol GuldenSYD
76Zach MerrettESS
75Adam TreloarWB
74Chad WarnerSYD

Votes
Player (Club)
Isaac Heeney (SYD)
7 Darcy Cameron (COLL)
6 Chad Warner (SYD)
5 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)
1 Will Hayward (SYD)
1 Josh Daicos (COLL)

3 in the top 10 ssuit:

Leaderboard​

VotesPlayerClub
102Isaac HeeneySYD
99Nick DaicosCOLL
99Caleb SerongFRE
95Patrick CrippsCARL
89Lachie NealeBL
84Marcus BontempelliWB
78Errol GuldenSYD
76Zach MerrettESS
75Adam TreloarWB
74Chad WarnerSYD
Rowbottom robbed

The biggest 'bitch' in football. What's he ever done except kick a few goals in a PF.

Bloke has an ego as big as Texas and always tries to trash talk but the only thing he can come up with is calling other players ' bitch ' or 'my bitch.

Glad we made their premiership flag unferling an unforgettable night and then ended their season.

No wonder their coach is crying about how unfair their world is.

The first time I saw any real overlap run (and especially run through the corridor) on Friday was that play in Q4 that led to the Hayward point. Even then, it was some time later before the avalanche of goals came, but it was so shocking to see it happen at the time because it was so noticeable by its absence before then. What toggle switched in their mind? Who knows, but it may have been just simple desperation.

Let's hope we see more of that dare and run this week.

I’m of the very simple belief that what happened on Friday night it was like someone finally found the light switch (that fell off the wall a few weeks ago) flicked the switch on and the boys found the light and just went forward (not wanting to sound remotely religious coz I’m not blllah) it really did look like that. Im just a simple old gal!
AND CRAIG MCRE CAN F**K OFF

Last edited:
I’m of the very simple belief that what happened on Friday night it was like someone finally found the light switch (that fell off the wall a few weeks ago) flicked the switch on and the boys found the light and just went forward (not wanting to sound remotely religious coz I’m not blllah) it really did look like that.
AND CRAIG MCRE CAN F**K OFF
And now we nervously await for a few days to see whether it was just put back on with some flimsy tape, or whether someone bothered to get the screwdriver out and secure it back for real.

And now we nervously await for a few days to see whether it was just put back on with some flimsy tape, or whether someone bothered to get the screwdriver out and secure it back for real.
That did cross my mind!!🤣 Bloody hope they got the good tool box out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back