Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't buy its that simple
Easy to say, but unfortunately it's not that simple. The West is a media monopoly. And not only does Stokes own the only major newspaper in the state, he incredulously owns the only printing press, the technology required to produce newspapers. Even Pravda didn't have so much power.

There is no alternative to buy. As long as there is any demand for print news/sports (demand which is obviosuly in steady decline but will always persist in some demographics), the West will continue propagating trash and wielding corrosive power in this state. The same applies nationally for Murdoch / News Corp.

We should take solace that this is just sport and that, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. But spare a thought for the welfare of this nation's body politic.

Won 2, lost 3 in the first hub

Won 3, lost 3 in the second hub

So 5-5 overall

And some of the concerns prior to the first hub were justified. Only the WA clubs were asked to hub initially with no definitive return date in what were very uncertain times. And unlike Fremantle, we had several players with young families who were mostly left behind in Perth

Didn’t Schoey mention when on the BF pod, that quite a few guys were being paid less than Job Keeper because of cost cutting and wanted to go to fair work about it

Didn’t Schoey mention when on the BF pod, that quite a few guys were being paid less than Job Keeper because of cost cutting and wanted to go to fair work about it
Yeah I remember this, and also thought it was probably a major contributing factor in the "hub sook". A bunch of blokes on contracts that stipulated "pay for games" were getting shafted?

Forget blaming the young players or text msgs.....if the older credits crew had actually turned up to play anytime he's backed them in over the last 3 years he'd still have his job
Imagine the disdain that would have created amongst the playing group, especially given they had provided 6 years of concurrent finals appearances, including 2 grand finals and one premier ship. Grubby grubby stuff

That was a ridiculous situation 100% of the AFLs making to protect themselves (GC, GWS) and their leech clubs (NM, St Kilda etc) from not being able to keep their lights on when COVID hit.

As if that’s the Eagles problem - should have never had to cut anyone’s pay and the multimillion dollar league should have been using their plentiful funds to make up any short fall required for the leeches.

That was a ridiculous situation 100% of the AFLs making to protect themselves (GC, GWS) and their leech clubs (NM, St Kilda etc) from not being able to keep their lights on when COVID hit.

As if that’s the Eagles problem - should have never had to cut anyone’s pay and the multimillion dollar league should have been using their plentiful funds to make up any short fall required for the leeches.
Yeah, I remember him talking about this. Seems his issue was with the AFL in regards to being underpaid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a whole lotta retweets today. I'm seeing more West content today than I've seen for the past month. While everyone is calling them out, the West are rubbing their hands together.
The idea that all publicity is good publicity simply isn’t true. Most of the retweets are calling the paper reprehensible and a lot are calling for people to disengage in future. I saw a comment on a story that said ‘once this comment appears, I’m cancelling my subscription’. That’s not good publicity.

I find it funny Port supporters hating Ken comparing it to our situation.

We'd sign Simmo on for Life if we had Ports last 3-4 years record.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's won a flag.
We've won 2 finals in a decade under ken which gives it more context. Had we won a flag in 2018 or at the very least made a GF you wouldn't be seeing the reaction from fans as you see now.

I don't think the end of Simpsons reign and how it panned out had much at all to do with him individually but most things around him and his attitude just followed with it.
Ken on the other hand has had every single person around him come and go and the clubs in the same position after coming out and saying 3 flags in five years. The land of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Easy to say, but unfortunately it's not that simple. The West is a media monopoly. And not only does Stokes own the only major newspaper in the state, he incredulously owns the only printing press, the technology required to produce newspapers. Even Pravda didn't have so much power.

There is no alternative to buy. As long as there is any demand for print news/sports (demand which is obviosuly in steady decline but will always persist in some demographics), the West will continue propagating trash and wielding corrosive power in this state. The same applies nationally for Murdoch / News Corp.

We should take solace that this is just sport and that, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. But spare a thought for the welfare of this nation's body politic.
So do not purchase the garbage. Do you run a fish and chips shop. perhaps? I thought news print was now illegal?

The idea that all publicity is good publicity simply isn’t true. Most of the retweets are calling the paper reprehensible and a lot are calling for people to disengage in future. I saw a comment on a story that said ‘once this comment appears, I’m cancelling my subscription’. That’s not good publicity.
If you interact, you bring traffic. If you bring traffic, you create opportunities for advertisers. If you create opportunities for advertisers, you increase your revenue. How many times do people on this board comment about Kane Cornes' bad takes only to be commenting on another of his bad takes a week later? Financially, it's better to be relevant than right.

If you interact, you bring traffic. If you bring traffic, you create opportunities for advertisers. If you create opportunities for advertisers, you increase your revenue. How many times do people on this board comment about Kane Cornes' bad takes only to be commenting on another of his bad takes a week later? Financially, it's better to be relevant than right.

Of course it is.

Shock tactics and ‘hot takes’ are the currency of today’s media (not just footy).

10,000 people saying ‘OH MY GOD THAT’S A DISGRACE!’ is twice as ‘valuable’ as 5000 people saying ‘oh gee thanks Simmo’.

It’s a shame it has come to that but that is how it works when you are paid on clicks, views and advertising and have absolutely no interest in producing something of quality.

This is reason why I hadn’t bought a copy of the west for about 15 years.

Sometimes my wife at cafes passes me one of the papers and I say “no thanks”.

Looks like that will go on for a little bit longer.

It’s not about the news, it’s about shock content and if you consume it, you encourage it. They only provide shite that provides attention.

But there are a large number of people saying this was the final straw. A spike in engagement today is no good if it halves tomorrow and stays that way. There are bad takes that stir the pot and then there are bad takes in such poor taste they turn people off for good. The question will be if people are serious when they say they have had enough or just go back tomorrow.

But there are a large number of people saying this was the final straw. A spike in engagement today is no good if it halves tomorrow and stays that way. There are bad takes that stir the pot and then there are bad takes in such poor taste they turn people off for good. The question will be if people are serious when they say they have had enough or just go back tomorrow.
Yep this. Time will tell if their strategy paid off or just further hastened their slide.

But I’ll take a bet that WCE are still a strong relevant organisation in 20 years, The West however …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back