Prediction Round 20, 2024 - Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a major problem with the ins or outs, that wasn’t the point of my post.

Wouldn’t mind Chesser playing over LEdwards but, provided he is playing inside mid now that WAFL has resumed off the bye, I can rationalise it.

JJ, Witho out is correct. Petch on a short leash after a terribly quiet game is nice.

I don’t think Trew makes it because his skills are deplorable but nobody can fault his effort so…sure he stays. I’d drop him now and pump games into a Hall or Rawlinson or Johnston but is what it is.

Would probably go a Dewar over Darling or similar change, give us a smaller forward line, but generally our list is currently constructed in a way that several pegs that a square for one reason or another (too old, low ceiling, going to be delisted, played out of position) will find their way into round holes.

Just find it funny that sacking the coach didn’t change the old boys getting a game when I’ve been assured for years it’s solely because Simpson backs them in no matter what. Then the new coach comes in and immediately does the same. Shows where our list depth is at.
How the hell do you think Trews skills are deplorable?
Please share your wisdom.

Unless we absolutely dominate in the middle, we will get smashed. Horrible forwardline bringing Darling back with so many slow, low pressure forwards already in there.

Schoey wasnt the best choice in the coaches box I reckon. He has a reputation to build/look after. We needed someone who just played the kids and didnt care about his record.

One game?
:shrug:

Only other option would've been Archer Reid, who would've made us way taller and probably doesn't apply as much forward pressure as Darling does.

That or leave Petch in as a defensive forward.

We're rather bereft of options right now. If Long wasn't injured, things would be far more balanced.

Unless we absolutely dominate in the middle, we will get smashed. Horrible forwardline bringing Darling back with so many slow, low pressure forwards already in there.

Schoey wasnt the best choice in the coaches box I reckon. He has a reputation to build/look after. We needed someone who just played the kids and didnt care about his record.

So he's named a slow, low pressure forward line to ... Build/look after his reputation?

**** me.

Listening to him on 6pr this evening, he's surprisingly bringing in Darling and dropping Petch and JJ for that exact reason - pressure. Reckons Darling had been competing and providing pressure prior to him going out, and Petch/JJ didn't provide enough last week.

Witherden out was a no brainer he's been so poor it not funny.
Yeo, waterman and McGovern in are a given.

For the life of me I don't get the darling selection. What has he done to deserve a call up?
Land of the giants forward line again and Freo are just going to run it out of our forward line with ease.

Just as a matter of interest, Freo's backline is exactly the same average height as the WC fwd line.

:shrug:

Only other option would've been Archer Reid, who would've made us way taller and probably doesn't apply as much forward pressure as Darling does.

That or leave Petch in as a defensive forward.

We're rather bereft of options right now. If Long wasn't injured, things would be far more balanced.
You said his WAFL form warranted selection.

If pressure is the only reason he’s in, then surely Rawlinson, Dewar or Petch could apply just as much pressure if instructed.

Trew being given another game. Culley being given another game.

Gov, Yeo and Jake back.

No Gaff or Sheed. Jones and Witherden dropped. Chess to build in the WAFL.

All good things and seemingly meeting consensus right 🙃

Luke Edwards quite fortunate… agree that Dewar or Johnston could be given a go in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be getting Cripps to tag Clark. Hutch another possible option but I'd prefer to let him get on the end of a couple, have Cripps take Clark out of the game and try to hurt him the other way should he be so lucky.

And similar to Fyfe running a negating role, if you want a game at the top level, it will be selfless and for the team. The Masto Wing™

I’m pretty sure on the limited game time he’s had this year, he’s running at just over 81% disposal efficiency. As an inside mid under immediate pressure I would have thought that was pretty bloody good.
Come.on mate he doesn't look like reid when he plays...

Long, Hewett, Duggan, Burgiel and Brockman all being on the injury list is a blow to our forward/ midfield options. Jamieson the only tall unavailable which might partially explain why we look a bit tall

Running players not selected are Gaff, Sheed, Chesser, Petruccelle, Witherden, Johnston, Hall, Jones, Rawlinson, Baker and Dewar. All players who’ve just been dropped or who’s WAFL form hasn’t exactly been knocking the door down

That said we could have taken a punt with at least one of Hall, Dewar or Johnston in place of one of our taller players

Hopefully we can surprise Freo a second time this season

You said his WAFL form warranted selection.

If pressure is the only reason he’s in, then surely Rawlinson, Dewar or Petch could apply just as much pressure if instructed.
I mean, probably not?

Statistically, Darling's one of the best in the AFL at forward pressure. It's the rest of his game that currently blows.

I'm not saying he'd be my preference as an in(would prefer Dewar), but after having a might zero tackles inside 50 last week, I can see why the MC would rationalise bringing him back in.

I mean, probably not?

Statistically, Darling's one of the best in the AFL at forward pressure. It's the rest of his game that currently blows.

I'm not saying he'd be my preference as an in(would prefer Dewar), but after having a might zero tackles inside 50 last week, I can see why the MC would rationalise bringing him back in.
I suspect his stats show that largely because he’s being beaten to the ball by defenders and he’s having to try and constantly win it back. At least he tries to win it back.

My concern is that stats like pressure acts tend to be misleading. Similar to contested possessions. Sheed getting chased down whilst scrubbing a kick and then putting an arm out toward his opponent as they run away with the ball would plausibly register as 1 contested possession and 1 pressure act.

But if Darling’s our best pressure forward option and the coaches are confident in this, then great I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back