Autopsy AFL 2020 Premiership Season Second Qualifying Final - Lions v Tigers Fri October 2nd 7:50pm AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 23.7%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 69 32.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A thoughtful counter analysis, but you missed Stefan Martin, who is a massive IN as a ruckman, but also because he frees McInerney up to go forward. The Big O in the forward line is going to be difficult for Richmond to counter. Time will tell.

yeah agreed, I was taking the In's from your summary so missed that one.

Was mainly trying to highlight we have a lot of top line players coming in from that game also. Traditionally the Big O would have been harder for us to counter, as we previously had only really played one genuine tall defender. Astbury and Balta now playing the same team gives us a decent advantage here IMO, as I cant see Big O beating Astbury or Hipwood beating Balta. Martin should get on top of Nank in the ruck but we hardly ever win the ruck or clearances so don't know how big that advantage would be.

Still think bringing in Prestia, Astbury, Houli, Edwards & Graham is a huge win for us, question is how rusty some of these guys may be, we need to play them however to get their match fitness up.

Forgetting 3 role players from that game to now.
Out Answerth, Skinner, Ballenden
In: Birchall, Rich, McStay
Also Rayner played half a game, don't know how you did it? Turn it up, the excuse pile is getting bigger than dolly parton's tata's

Comprehension obviously not your strong point if you took from my post I was making excuses, you generally don't need excuses when you've won the previous 15 encounters, lol.

Should be a good game tomorrow, if Lions are good enough to beat us they will have well and truly earnt it. Good luck to them.

Comprehension obviously not your strong point if you took from my post I was making excuses, you generally don't need excuses when you've won the previous 15 encounters, lol.

Should be a good game tomorrow, if Lions are good enough to beat us they will have well and truly earnt it. Good luck to them.
I acquiesce, you're too kind.

Aren't you? I am nervous/excited before any final and this one would probably be included. I want it to go our way but the unknown of whether it will pan out the way I want it to makes me nervous.

I don't think I'll be a nervous wreck though. The Richmond boys are professionals and reliable so they at least gain my confidence before the match even if they end up losing.
At least with the Tigers you know what you're going to get, they'll smash in hard, tackle like crazy and dial the pressure up to suffocating. Win lose or draw that's all I've ever asked. Winning is the bonus.

Pffft! Did you hear Fages? Last time he bemoaned Brisbane's inaccuracy "which always seems to be against Richmond". When quizzed about goalkicking yesterday he fired a snappy retort worthy of Malthouse at his grumpiest.

Under strain.

Such a lazy attempt at trolling. He simply responded by quizzing the reporter to see whether he actually had done some research on the goalkicking bullshit that almost all the journalists and media have taken a hold of. Sure, it's been an issue but it's clear the Lions have done some work on it, since we are now top 4 in accuracy in the last month or so of footy. That reporter clearly doesn't do his homework before press conferences.

He simply responded by quizzing the reporter to see whether he actually had done some research on the goalkicking bullshit that almost all the journalists and media have taken a hold of.

But it's Fagan's goalkicking bullshit!

I want to see him shuffling the stats sheets in search of answers around 10:30 tomorrow night. He clearly felt the last game was line-ball.

Last edited:
Summary from a Richmond Souvlaki lover perspective,

- The Media and The Lions themselves are underestimating our recent dominance over them. The conversation is centred around their inaccuracy and our ability to take our chances. When you delve deeper, there are some deep rooted psychological issues here. The Lions are increasingly troubled by our two way running. They score well off the rebound, in particular they like to open defences up on the rebound and enter through the corridor. Richmond are the best team at blocking the corridor and pushing the opposition wider along the flanks.

- The Lions know their advantage against us is in the clearances. This is where Prestia is crucial in this match up. I expect him to decrease their dominance in comparison to last time in this area. If the Lions expect to have the same access to clearances as last time, and simply need to build off effectively using those clearances, they are sadly mistaken. Richmond are good at adapting little patterns in their gamestyle to keep their opponents guessing, Lions will be banking on winning the midfield battle and exploring opportunities to score from those. Richmond will pull the rug from under their feet and slightly adapt their style to limit Brisbane's centre clearances.

- The forward line delivery is absolutely pivotal. For Richmond to win this match, they absolutely must lower the eyes and identify key targets inside 50. Harris Andrews will be instructed to play a Jeremy McGovern style game, play off Chol/Riewoldt and intercept. Generate scoring opportunities through this defensive rebounding by locking up Daniel Rich and pushing the Lions forward, ideally through the corridor. We must lower the eyes, hit up leads and be patient with the ball as we enter the 50. By giving the lions back the ball, we will be effectively assisting their scoring whilst decreasing our potential to score. Josh Caddy is so important, his strength and sublime skills as a forward should make this a big day for him. The Lions will focus on Riewoldt, Chol, Martin very much which will leave Caddy as a threat.

- Taking our opportunities early against The Lions is a must. One thing they have done well against recently is attain control of the match early on. On the last two occasions they have 80% of the scoring shots in the first 15 minutes of the game. They'll come out blazing and thats fine, just dont let them kick goals, if they get their tails up early, they will be dangerous and VERY hard to stop.

Aren't you? I am nervous/excited before any final and this one would probably be included. I want it to go our way but the unknown of whether it will pan out the way I want it to makes me nervous.

I don't think I'll be a nervous wreck though. The Richmond boys are professionals and reliable so they at least gain my confidence before the match even if they end up losing.

Healthy finals nerves.

Forgetting 3 role players from that game to now.
Out Answerth, Skinner, Ballenden
In: Birchall, Rich, McStay
Also Rayner played half a game, don't know how you did it? Turn it up, the excuse pile is getting bigger than dolly parton's tata's

excuse pile?

WE WON. We're not the ones who need to make excuses.

If we do have people on Earth in a hundred years' time, thousands of scholars and football fans will pore over millions upon millions of minutes of televised AFL matches, not unlike the way modern archaeologists dig up the detritus of old Roman streets and towns. And after watching untold hours of early 21st-century "football", those intrepid future researchers will solemnly conclude, "Holy crap, the Tigers were over rated..."
So, which of them Byzantine chariot teams do you reckon was over-rated, the Blues of the Greens?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tiges are an awesome club and team, they are predictably effective like the Great 3peat Lions side, you know what they will do and plan as you might it is tough curbing them espesh in big games.

However, I also reckon the Lions have a bit of tiger cryptonite in that they get plenty of the ball and plenty of scoring shots. If they can convert and the tiges have trouble doing so, a stronger possibility now with Andrews Lynch in out, Lions can win comfortably.

Lions by 5 goals.

I think lions been playing this game in there head all week mentally.Practising sledging, the Freeman stuff, tagging Neale and Robinson back tracking.

All I hear lions missed alot of shots last two games and that's the root cause it is partly , but there is a alot of other reasons lions ranked 16th for turnovers huge.Huge pressure on lions double chance again ,home etc.

I hope everyone is watching this game very closely, because it will be the game we all remember as the beginning of the end for the Tiggers little era of success.

Lool atleast we got 2 flags in 3 years unlike your mob choked.

I think lions been playing this game in there head all week mentally.Practising sledging, the Freeman stuff, tagging Neale and Robinson back tracking.

All I hear lions missed alot of shots last two games and that's the root cause it is partly , but there is a alot of other reasons lions ranked 16th for turnovers huge.Huge pressure on lions double chance again ,home etc.

Yeah how dare a team try to change things up and have the media report on it. Absolutely disgraceful

A thoughtful counter analysis, but you missed Stefan Martin, who is a massive IN as a ruckman, but also because he frees McInerney up to go forward. The Big O in the forward line is going to be difficult for Richmond to counter. Time will tell.

Martin is a good ruckman , but around the ground is a different story how does the ruck setup with McInerney work usually.

Martin is a good ruckman , but around the ground is a different story how does the ruck setup with McInerney work usually.
I agree that Martin is not what he was around the ground. Fairly standard two ruck set up. When Martin is rucking, Oscar is either on the bench or “resting” in the forward line. If McInerney is doing the first ruck duties, Stef is usually on the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2020 Premiership Season Second Qualifying Final - Lions v Tigers Fri October 2nd 7:50pm AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Back