Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 16 - Dogs v Eagles Sun September 6th 6:10PM AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights added to OP

Who will win and by how much

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not even kudos. Like every week it’s always the umpires.

The game has been going for a long time. Umpires make mistakes. But you can’t honestly blame one umpiring decision, good bad or indifferent on losing or winning. You’ve got ample opportunity to absorb the umpiring as it comes to you and still win. But West Coast didn’t do that.

Just frustrates me how immature some people are.
The Dogs were clearly the better side. Eagles were trash very tired and missing 5 of their best 10 players against a fully rested team no surprises the Bulldogs played better.

However they showed they aren't a great side by only scraping over the line against them. Should have been a 5 goal win.

Eagles have limited depth and that is exposing them right now. They aren't the only club with injuries but the media literally has no idea about the validity of their premiership chances.

At the moment they aren't even in the conversation for a premiership. Got to call a spade a spade

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes the video on the other side clearly shows daylight. Which one is correct?

touched.png

There is certainly no daylight. The goal post has a black halo artifact due to contrast. The halo is clearly broken by the ball and part of the ball appears to be obscured by the post - possibly washed out due to contrast/resolution.

The halo being broken implies there was an object covering part of the goal post.

Last edited:

The Dogs were clearly the better side. Eagles were trash very tired and missing 5 of their best 10 players against a fully rested team no surprises the Bulldogs played better.

However they showed they aren't a great side by only scraping over the line against them. Should have been a 5 goal win.

Eagles have limited depth and that is exposing them right now. They aren't the only club with injuries but the media literally has no idea about the validity of their premiership chances.

At the moment they aren't even in the conversation for a premiership. Got to call a spade a spade

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

You created a new account for that?

Geelong can win 1 of 2 and make it with their great %. They will probably tank the game vs Richmond, and if they do that I hope they lose the gf by 1 point
Chris Scott hates Richmond They will play to win for sure

If the Eagles had won, it would have been a robbery. However, premierships are made up of a lot of skill, a bit of luck and sometimes winning ugly. I’m more frustrated that the mark was paid to Bont after going hard all night on ‘not 15’ when the kick would have been reaching to be 10. We could have stolen an ugly one and kept us in the premiership hunt. That said, they squared it up with Darling, his kick was in a similar spot to Bont’s and he missed it.
I didn't watch the match so have a go at me if you wish about judging umps when I didn't watch it.
I watched 2 highlights, one was English taking a clear mark and he got pinned for holding the ball, I believe no score resulted after so you could say insignificant. The 2nd I watched was incredible, Flyin' Ryan set up a great goal, only problem was he ran close to 30m without a bounce, I counted 17 steps...
Channel 7 commentators were all over how incredible he is but not even a hint of alarm about the massive free run breaking the rules. It seems certain clubs are the golden goose and can streeeetch the rules without any mention even from the TV commentators.

It’s not even kudos. Like every week it’s always the umpires.

This is every WC match thread ever:

What a terrible game of football.
Eagles can't handle of life without the armchair ride of optus stadium.

And yes, people should STFU about umpires as a general rule. WC were garbage tonight. I was actually hoping for a late behind to make it a draw because that's what the game deserved. Dogs tried their hardest to kick themselves out of a finals spot and were lucky to get away with a win in the end. Darling goals or Kelly doesn't mung his last kick inside 50 and it could've been a different result and the game should've been over long before then.

Dude talk about pseudo- science! You have gone mythbusters like with your red line but it is on an angle!
There is a gap between the goal post and your red line.
Give it up mate, if there was some of the ball in line with posts it was paint varnish. The review system has worked relatively well this year. This one is correct.
The rule is if there is no conclusive evidence that the umpire is incorrect the ump's decision stands.
Kudos to the goal ump and the review system officers.
Field umps have a harder job and have been extremely poor this year. A tough job made harder by beauracracy continually changing rules week by week.
The game has become a joke as a result and not too many fans enjoy the game much.
I am close to walking away and not watching it anymore as the glory days of the footy 80s, 90s and 00s are long gone as corporates have taken over.

Dude talk about pseudo- science! You have gone mythbusters like with your red line but it is on an angle!
There is a gap between the goal post and your red line.
Give it up mate, if there was some of the ball in line with posts it was paint varnish. The review system has worked relatively well this year. This one is correct.
The rule is if there is no conclusive evidence that the umpire is incorrect the ump's decision stands.
Kudos to the goal ump and the review system officers.
Field umps have a harder job and have been extremely poor this year. A tough job made harder by beauracracy continually changing rules week by week.
The game has become a joke as a result and not too many fans enjoy the game much.
I am close to walking away and not watching it anymore as the glory days of the footy 80s, 90s and 00s are long gone as corporates have taken over.

The point he/she was trying to make is that a goal is scored when the ball is kicked completely over the goal line by a player of the attacking team without being touched by any other player.

The goal line aligns with the back of the goal post padding, not the goal post. Meaning that the correct line that should be used for adjudicating whether or not a ball has been touched is not the goal post line, but the goal/padding line.

The review system has been using the wrong line since its inception.

Should also scrap the blocking rule. I don't get why it's bad to strategically box players out.
Because it is against the whole fabric of promoting a spectacle seeing the big marks which us locals love and will make this amazing game huge globally. Ask any international about AFL who know very little and nearly all gush over the huge screamers.
The game has less big hangars now, clear why it is so. Teams use it as a tactic, the best teams are better at it, the defenders work together to nullify the big marker.
No more Colemans, Hudsons, Cappers, Stephen Michaels, Abletts these days.
A case in point young Jeremy Howe has taken a lot more big hangars as a defender than an attacker. No blocking him out as a defender, don't like the Pies much but gees what a marvellous move.

I think everyone would much rather play Brisi than Port away, especially with Andrews out now so no chance they are tanking against us unfortunetly. Surely the West Coast Saints game is 50/50 at best for you. Both off 4 days but St Kilda just had a bye, West Coast end of a brutal schedule.
so true, poor tiges got shafted again this year heh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it touched? Maybe, but it was called not touched so move on.

You realise the blokes in the Arc aren’t umpires yeah?

If that wasn’t the decision, which one of the 14-22 (West Coasts way) decisions did you feel was incorrect?
well, actually.
They're state league goal umpires.
Maybe that's why they're in the state league and cant progress much further.

To the dogs supporters saying the line is aligned with the post.
That changed about 15 years ago due to some instances at the SCG where it hit the back side of the post. But with their thick pads it was well over the line. After that they moved the line to align with the pads.

And the rule is it needs to fully cross the goal line to be a score and all those other subpoints (touched, etc.)

Yes, it barely cleared the post before being touched, so if you're ignorant and are going by what the commentators said and focusing in on whether it had cleared the post, yeah, it's a goal.

TOo bad that's not the rule

It's the line, and that's in line with the back of the pads. So going by that, it is clearly touched.

Maybe if you were playing schoolboy footy at lunch without pads its a goal, but we're not. Whoever the AFL has employed to work in the arc should get cut this week. Their wrong decision has just resulted in the wrong team winning which will have an effect on finals seedings and potentially the wrong team making finals.

On a side note, Darling shouldn't have received a free at the end there. I'd have pinged him for sheaparding out of the ruck contest. But because they handed the Bulldogs an incorrect goal, I really dont care they got that wrong, even it up.

To the dogs supporters saying the line is aligned with the post.
That changed about 15 years ago due to some instances at the SCG where it hit the back side of the post. But with their thick pads it was well over the line. After that they moved the line to align with the pads.

And the rule is it needs to fully cross the goal line to be a score and all those other subpoints (touched, etc.)

Yes, it barely cleared the post before being touched, so if you're ignorant and are going by what the commentators said and focusing in on whether it had cleared the post, yeah, it's a goal.

TOo bad that's not the rule

It's the line, and that's in line with the back of the pads. So going by that, it is clearly touched.

Maybe if you were playing schoolboy footy at lunch without pads its a goal, but we're not. Whoever the AFL has employed to work in the arc should get cut this week. Their wrong decision has just resulted in the wrong team winning which will have an effect on finals seedings and potentially the wrong team making finals.

On a side note, Darling shouldn't have received a free at the end there. I'd have pinged him for sheaparding out of the ruck contest. But because they handed the Bulldogs an incorrect goal, I really dont care they got that wrong, even it up.

I'd argue it wasn't "clearly" touched. The video ref made the correct call.

3-4 posts in this thread? Is that obsessed? Much less than you popping up constantly with your anti Richmond hysteria.
Anyway on to the game, happy to see the dogs win as puts us closer to top 4 and also makes it harder for pies to make the 8.
It’s a win win you can say!

Just think how many Eagles posters will be in the Geelong/Richmond thread on Friday night. Provided they beat St.Kilda, of course.

McGovern touched that I reckon.
Dogs should have sealed it, but Eagles could have won it.
Darling still chokes during clutch moments.
Despite all those outs, the Eagles almost dogged it.
With them in, they would have pulverised the Bulldogs who are a good team.
If fuly healthy, WCE still have the potential to win it all from outside the four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 16 - Dogs v Eagles Sun September 6th 6:10PM AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights added to OP

Back