AFL Grand Final AFL 2021 GRAND FINAL - Demons v Dogs Sat September 25th 7:15pm EST / 5:15pm WST (Optus) Congratulations Demons! 🍾🏆 Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 132 36.4%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 108 29.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 50 13.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 33 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a jumper clash? I’m happy for us to wear our royal blue jumper if the Dogs wear their Thor jersey.
We didn't wear white in our round 19 game against you guys when you were the home team, so hopefully we don't have to for this one. We wore our indigenous kit in round 11 and you wore your normal guernsey as well.

Happy to wear Thor guernsey. Undefeated strip.

The Dees are favorites and they are also every neutral's team this week. Nobody, other than Dogs fans, can resist the romance of a great old club getting it done for the first time since 1964 (the same narrative that Footscray had in 2016).

Also I have a personal irrational and intense dislike for the Dogs. A team called "Western" sounds ridiculous. Every club should have a proper place name. They listened to some idiot nerd with a marketing degree tell them they'd appeal to more people if they weren't attached to a single suburb....as if numerous other Melbourne clubs haven't found huge success while still keeping their traditional suburb name. They sound like some cheap gimmicky BBL or A league franchise. And did throwing away that tradition achieve anything? No. They are still one of the smallest clubs in town. So they lost the heritage AND didn't gain anything financially.

I'd be fond of you if you were still called Footscray but as you are not, it's go Dees all day on Saturday.

Last edited:

The Dees are favorites and they are also every neutral's team this week. Nobody, other than Dogs fans, can resist the romance of a great old club getting it done for the first time since 1964 (the same narrative that Footscray had in 2016).

Also I have a personal irrational and intense dislike for the Dogs. A team called "Western" sounds ridiculous. Every club should have a proper place name. They listened to some idiot nerd with a marketing degree tell them they'd appeal to more people if they weren't attached to a single suburb....as if numerous other Melbourne clubs haven't found huge success while still keeping their traditional suburb name. They should like some cheap gimmicky BBL or A league franchise. And did throwing away that tradition achieve anything? No. They are still one of the smallest clubs in town. So they lost the heritage AND didn't gain anything financially.

I'd be fond of you if you were still called Footscray but as you are not, it's go Dees all day on Saturday.
1631416798474.gif

Also I have a personal irrational and intense dislike for the Dogs. A team called "Western" sounds ridiculous. Every club should have a proper place name. They listened to some idiot nerd with a marketing degree tell them they'd appeal to more people if they weren't attached to a single suburb....as if numerous other Melbourne clubs haven't found huge success while still keeping their traditional suburb name. They should like some cheap gimmicky BBL or A league franchise. And did throwing away that tradition achieve anything? No. They are still one of the smallest clubs in town. So they lost the heritage AND didn't gain anything financially.

There’s an element of white flight to it. Footscray was become a more multi-ethnic area in the 90s and the suburb was beginning to be associated with more negative sentiments. ‘Western’ is more amorphous. Obviously it’s all meaningless rubbish because these things have no genuine impact on the appeal of an institution when everything is just a commodity for sale.

Also I have a personal irrational and intense dislike for the Dogs. A team called "Western" sounds ridiculous. Every club should have a proper place name. They listened to some idiot nerd with a marketing degree tell them they'd appeal to more people if they weren't attached to a single suburb....as if numerous other Melbourne clubs haven't found huge success while still keeping their traditional suburb name. They sound like some cheap gimmicky BBL or A league franchise. And did throwing away that tradition achieve anything? No. They are still one of the smallest clubs in town. So they lost the heritage AND didn't gain anything financially.

Reckon you have other things to worry about with your own tragic club.

The resilience the dogs have showed to fight their way out of a form slump that had them finishing 5th added to the travel and nagging injuries they’ve had to put up with will hold them in good stead. Dees have had a fairly seamless run in comparison.
Dogs could nick it!

Moved to Egypt and became a tour guide, converted to Islam (oddly for a bloke who liked a beer), raised a family there before coming home.

During his playing days he kept a shark in his bathtub for a while and had a pittbull named Pentridge. Certainly wasn't a cliched footballer.
A shark in his bathtub? That would have died very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Footscray Reserves player Dennis Commetti? If he's lucid that day, 1985 Brownlow medal winner Brad Hardie?
Daniel Southern can be ruled out as it's hard to get anything out of his arms.

Bobby hasn't moved yet IIRC
Matthew Boyd over there as a Freo assistant?

Going to be a wonderful midfielder battle.
Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Libba, Dunkley, Smith v Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, Viney and Brayshaw.

Melbourne copping the double week off will hurt them here. Dogs by 4 goals.
It's not ideal I'll admit but I kind of feel the Dogs could have gone next week anyway. They lose some momentum as well but it probably hurts us slightly more.

Both teams are quite resilient though and professional in their preparation.

There's a lot of pressure on Stef to play out of his skin. Gawn and Jackson are the best ruck duo in the competition and we need to try and keep English forward as much as we can.
We may even roll the dice with only two talls in defence again and hope our rebound counters the extra couple of goals we give up.
I just have this sneaky feeling, not based on anything, that English will play the game of his life. All the attention will be on Martin in the ruck, and Naughton as the key forward, can see English getting off the chain.

It's gonna be a great game.

Melbourne going for their first premiership in like 150 million years or something.

Bulldogs with the AFL's match fixing department on their side.

Heart says Melbourne. Head says Bulldogs.

only 21 years. They're having another go before Carlton and North even, by a year

I've just noticed something - the last GF either Carlton or North made was against each other. Was there some voodoo shit put on these two teams that year? It was an average GF so not surprised if it was.

Also, the time before last that Melbourne made a GF was 1988 - 12 years before the 2000 GF, which is the inverse of the the 21 years between now and the last GF they made? Spooky? Not really. I'm just trying to make up bullshit links between events and pretending some mysterious force will determine the outcome of football match. Move along

Last edited:
Midfield is all that matters these days. Win the middle, win the game. You have depth and if you get first hands to the ball you’ll bury us. Our best chance is hitting you as hard as possible in tackling pressure and intensity all game, but I just think you’ve hardened up a lot since our last encounter and you’re great at shifting the ball around to advantage.

Just think we will hold it together but eventually be overcome. 30-45 point win.
Dees have the best defensive system, don't give up big scores, so I doubt you'd lose by 6-7 goals.

All the talk will be of how good Oliver and Petracca are, Maxy, Lever & May - but the danger man for us is Brayshaw. His ability to cut off the switch is probably the best in the compeition and in the first game this year he was outstanding regardless of what the stats say. We simply have to make him accountable and take his influence out of the game.
Same for Langdon on the wing. They go to him for so many plays, he sets up a lot of forward entries

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2021 GRAND FINAL - Demons v Dogs Sat September 25th 7:15pm EST / 5:15pm WST (Optus) Congratulations Demons! 🍾🏆 Match Highlights in OP

Back