Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 28.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

12 free kicks played to both teams for the entire match. I liked it. They let a few go, but it went both ways. Was a good contest. Pies eked out a win despite not playing their best footy- good on them. Been the team to beat all year. If they can find their best footy for the gf, they will win comfortably. If they can’t find that form, they will have to scrap for it, like they did last night.

One good thing about Collingwood making the GF is at least I will have a team to barrack against.

I even barracked for West Coast in the 2018 GF and I usually hate West Coast, I will probably even barrack for Carlton if they make the GF.
Well as a Saints supporters you've never got anyone to barrack FOR so this makes sense

Well done to both teams - great game of footy to watch and just shows that H&A finishing position doesn't say much about the difference between teams in finals. I thought that the GWS was one genuine tall marking target in the forward line 'short' of a win - the ex Collingwood player was a useless lug for them up there and cost them an easy goal. In fact GWS cost themselves a few goals through brain farts and misses - but Collingwood were abe to get over losing their best-marking target and close out the game. DeGoooey earned his pay cheque 4 sure as did the Cox- very important goal he kicked.

No team has a brighter future than GWS.

Where do they lack?

Because they’ve got a number one pick who’s a key forward and two first round picks this year to fix any holes they might have..

You scored 3 goals in 3 quarters of football. You could at least have scored 10 goals! Look, terrible is probably a bit strong. But you're not being fair dinkum if you didn't want that to open up more. The last 2 minutes was basically Rugby union. Just not calling any frees at all when they're clearly there just ruined the spectacle. It's another game where you could tune into the last 5 minutes and not have missed much.
Pies just hold it in the last 5 mins of games. Obviously a tactic but something that the umpires need to get on top of. A few times there Collingwood players dragged it in and weren’t penalised.
They role the dice on the umpires not having the balls to pay a free in the dying minutes and they are usually correct.

The question that needs to be asked is why finals are adjudicated so differently than H+A games .

Same game , different rules.

Amazing contest by both teams .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah need 11 home games in Western Sydney for starters imo

As a Collingwood supporter, you’ll disagree, but the AFL stuffed up the scheduling for this match this week.

The NRL had their prelim final schedule announced prior to Week 2 finals being decided. Penrith had Friday night, Brisbane Broncos Saturday night.

Not only did they give the Giants a 6-day break, but the AFL pitted their match directly against the Panthers, a club from the large region the Giants are attempting to reach. It’s already hard enough for the Giants to penetrate this region given this Penrith side are the most dominant team in the modern NRL era. Not many of them would’ve watched that Giants effort last night.

And Tonight, the Lions and Broncos matches will be overlapping too. An own goal from the AFL in promoting the game in these markets.

NRL have dropped the ball themselves though. Tonight’s match won’t begin in New Zealand until 10pm, limiting the potential for kids to watch the Wahs in their prelim.

The pain and hurt on show in here by non Collingwood supporters is a beautiful thing. It is eating at them. Most of the hurt is coming from supporters whose teams were too insipid to make it.
Go Pies. Paint the Town Black and White.

As a Collingwood supporter, you’ll disagree, but the AFL stuffed up the scheduling for this match this week.

The NRL had their prelim final schedule announced prior to Week 2 finals being decided. Penrith had Friday night, Brisbane Broncos Saturday night.

Not only did they give the Giants a 6-day break, but the AFL pitted their match directly against the Panthers, a club from the large region the Giants are attempting to reach. It’s already hard enough for the Giants to penetrate this region given this Penrith side are the most dominant team in the modern NRL era. Not many of them would’ve watched that Giants effort last night.

And Tonight, the Lions and Broncos matches will be overlapping too. An own goal from the AFL in promoting the game in these markets.

NRL have dropped the ball themselves though. Tonight’s match won’t begin in New Zealand until 10pm, limiting the potential for kids to watch the Wahs in their prelim.
not only Collingwood fans will disagree. Most of us have never heard of those teams you're on about. They are irrelevant to most footy fans in the advanced states :)

not only Collingwood fans will disagree. Most of us have never heard of those teams you're on about. They are irrelevant to most footy fans in the advanced states :)

The Typical myopic approach.

And I’m sure you’ll also keep accusing the Giants of being a supporter-less club in years to come. Not much is done to help them grow. Yet Collingwood get all the perks, helping them get bigger!

I thought it was Blicavs dominating in the role in 2015 and every one sooking about it? It took the club 7 years to find how best to utilise him after the rule was introduced.

Nope. Clarkson used a tactic to win hitouts, as we had average rucks, and it actually worked for quite a while.

Then Gerard Healy and others on the media complained that Hawthorn's tactics were going to cause the death of the ruckman, so they changed the rule.

Anytime the Hawks get a leg up, everybody has a sook. It happened with Buddy running around the mark, rule change.

Delibrately rushed behinds from Hawthorn, rule change.

12 free kicks played to both teams for the entire match. I liked it. They let a few go, but it went both ways. Was a good contest. Pies eked out a win despite not playing their best footy- good on them. Been the team to beat all year. If they can find their best footy for the gf, they will win comfortably. If they can’t find that form, they will have to scrap for it, like they did last night.
The 2 obvious ones to the Giants were the Green and Idum highs. Greens one maybe as his knee was bent but I feel like he didn't duck should have been paid.

But it certainly went both ways.

McStay is not exactly Wayne Carey, Frampton or Kreuger can play his part, and the biomechanists we've got on retainer will get Daicos off (if the AFL have the stones to charge him)
Your right - not much resale value in your talls (Moore aside).

Now we’ve got to get our job done to bring forth Armageddon.

A brave effort from Collingwood to get past GWS by a point with a longer break, less travel, more supporters and the umpires on their side.

Looking forward to a 20th anniversary repeat of Brisbane beating them in the GF or in the unlikely event Carlton win a repeat of 1979 or 81.
2010 still stings mate ?
I would have thought 13 years of Stingoes cream would have done the trick.
Oh well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Back