Autopsy AFL 2024 First Qualifying Final - Swans v GWS Sat Sept 7th 3:20pm EST (SCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Draw.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A shame the Giants don't have more supporters, they deserve to with how well they are playing, it looks like 95% Swans fans.

I’m a bit torn this game, if we win tonight I’d prefer to play giants as I want to go up and be basically like a home game for us with support we’d bring.

On the other side I like the giants, and love the way they are playing. Impression of the first half is their style more suited to finals than swans.

Green 18
Kelly 17
Callaghan 13
Ward 10

Warner 10
Gulden 9
Rowbottom 8
Florent 7

That's the game. Only positive for Sydney is their mids aren't out of 1st gear yet and it's only 21 points. If they lift they're a chance.

There’s good reason Grundy didn’t win a premiership at Collingwood, and moving him on was the catalyst in building a premiership list.

Granted Sydney are only paying 2/3 of his salary, but he is not built for big games

Yep, better off getting a rock solid competitor who you can pay 40% of salary and doesn’t go out of his lane. Briggs & Meek types who just use their size. You see that even with Rhys Stanley at Geelong - he doesn’t try to be anything special.

Green 18
Kelly 17
Callaghan 13
Ward 10

Warner 10
Gulden 9
Rowbottom 8
Florent 7

That's the game. Only positive for Sydney is their mids aren't out of 1st gear yet and it's only 21 points. If they lift they're a chance.

That’s glass half full. But port also would have thought that at half time Thursday, but the trend then continued and the scoreboard ended up reflecting the stats domination.

In saying that I’d be very surprised if Swans surrendered as meekly as Port.

I don’t think GWS did enough in that half. Had all the run but not quite enough on the scoreboard. Sydney is still a real chance. I reckon there’s 3 goals GWS way that should have been kicked, and then you add in the 5% chance Heeney took late, and that’s a 4 goal swing. Margin should be in the 40s.

Don't think it’s surprising to say that the Swans chances lie solely on Isaac Heeneys shoulders. Hard to see the tall forwards all of a sudden taking over Taylor/Buckley/Himmelberg so Heeney & Parker & Papley & Hayward will have to get busy, but Heeney is the one who can do it all

It's been a hard 3 years. How long did you guys hold onto 95 during rebuilds? Still at least we aren't Freo eh. 30 years and only 1 grand final.

I was thinking an equivalent gif for us would be Fraser brown tackle on Dean Wallis 99 prelim.

The semi final play last year of Weitering > Hollands > Docherty > Acres pretty good one too.

It gets harder to hold onto 95 as time goes on as many supporters weren’t born then, I was at least 14 at the time and that was my first season going to games most weeks.

So I think take the small things even non flags, with 18 soon to be 19 sides they are getting harder and harder to win.

So finals wins are also not to be taken for granted and even great home and away wins.

Also GWS way too many long range shots - thinking of Briggs, Callaghan, Ash, Greene. Way too low percentage, especially for Briggs, and in this Swirly wind. GWS had success with some goalsquare kicks and if no mark then you let Hogan & Greene go to work with their positioning & Daniels, McMullin & Jones with their tackling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about that, Brisbane are pretty good (granted somewhat volatile like most other sides this year) and I fancy their chances against this Sydney team given the way they're playing right now.
If the Swans lose I'd back them to bounce next week, especially at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Qualifying Final - Swans v GWS Sat Sept 7th 3:20pm EST (SCG) - Teams in OP

Back