Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 83 30.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 89 32.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Squiggle is just one imperfect model. For what it's worth, Squiggle has the Bulldogs as comfortably the strongest side at the start of finals, stronger than several recent premiers.

In comparison, it has Sydney, Carlton, Geelong and GWS as not premiership-standard yet, and Hawthorn and Port of comparable strength to Richmond in 2017 and better than Collingwood last year. The 2023 Collingwood side broke new ground in terms of premiership winner weakness.

View attachment 2095045
Wild the 2 best in it are out of the top 4.

Hawks to get away to a flier with the first few goals.
Dog will steady late in the 2nd & early 3rd to claw back a 20 point deficit and turn for home with a 2-3 goal lead at 3/4 time and run out 25 point winners.

Haw: 5.3, 8.7, 9.10: 13.12.90
WB: 2.4, 5.8, 11.12: 16.19.115

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well given Puopolo and Rioli got off the hook because Bruce Macavaney was too busy verbally stroking them I think the comments are well within scope.
Even if you combined the two of them, they’d have half the free kicks for high tackles of Selwood.

Such an intriguing and bard to predict matchup between the 2 in-form teams. As I and others are saying just such a shame only one will make it through. I think Dogs just but who knows.
You’re right, The Bard will have a tough time predicting this match-up.

In Footscray’s corner, we have Mark Antony from Julius Caesar with his ominous warning for Sam Mitchell, “Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.”

But on the other hand, Bevo’s boys are facing one of the greats, Henry V at the MCG on a horse setting the example for his (Peter) Knights, “When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk”

Tragedy awaits.

This is a mini GF. Like a lot of posters have said Hawks and Dogs the two best teams in it atm.

My only concern is a lot of Hawks hanging their hat on downing the blues with Curnow and Mckay as the twin towers for Carlton. Curnow was on one leg and Mackay is not much on his own. The Dogs tall forward line has troubled the Hawks before and will again.

Dogs by 23.

This is a mini GF. Like a lot of posters have said Hawks and Dogs the two best teams in it atm.

My only concern is a lot of Hawks hanging their hat on downing the blues with Curnow and Mckay as the twin towers for Carlton. Curnow was on one leg and Mackay is not much on his own. The Dogs tall forward line has troubled the Hawks before and will again.

Dogs by 23.

Didn’t really trouble hawthorn in the last two meetings, but of course that can change

If you were inclined to tip based on their earlier encounter you’d have to tip Hawthorn. The scoreboard flattered the dogs that day and the Hawks controlled the play for longer periods. Both teams have improved since then, it’s a question of whether the Dogs have improved enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were inclined to tip based on their earlier encounter you’d have to tip Hawthorn. The scoreboard flattered the dogs that day and the Hawks controlled the play for longer periods. Both teams have improved since then, it’s a question of whether the Dogs have improved enough.
The dogs team will be vastly different, with major positional changes as well

As was the year before when hawks denied bulldogs finals, plenty on the line. The final is tipped the closest for a reason

When discussing both teams run in to finals, in which both teams have impredded , a side note is up till round 22 hawks were not often favourites in their games, whereas the doggies mostly were.

Weather may be wet, windy and outside at the G, which for me favours the hawks. But both teams train outside so it’s a subtle advantage

Last edited:
Hawks to get away to a flier with the first few goals.
Dog will steady late in the 2nd & early 3rd to claw back a 20 point deficit and turn for home with a 2-3 goal lead at 3/4 time and run out 25 point winners.

Haw: 5.3, 8.7, 9.10: 13.12.90
WB: 2.4, 5.8, 11.12: 16.19.115

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You forgot the all important crowd number

Hawks easily. In the 40-50 range.

Dogs were flattered last week by a team that deliberately chucked the game to ensure they didn’t have to leave Sydney for their first 2 finals.
Neither side is winning by 40-50 mate. I'd say this one will be close until the last eight minutes where one team will find a way.

You’re right, The Bard will have a tough time predicting this match-up.

In Footscray’s corner, we have Mark Antony from Julius Caesar with his ominous warning for Sam Mitchell, “Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.”

But on the other hand, Bevo’s boys are facing one of the greats, Henry V at the MCG on a horse setting the example for his (Peter) Knights, “When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk”

Tragedy awaits.
Massively underrated post this one.

Who will the umpires give the free kicks to? They’ll be genuinely confused.
Hawks haven't had a positive free kick ratio in a season since 2018 and are dead last since records were collected of all clubs in terms of free kicks for/against percentage.

Dogs on the other hand.....

Prior results literally make no difference. None.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Back