Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 83 30.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 89 32.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Dogs allow the Hawks wingers to float back as 7th and 8th defenders? Mass and Amon are so critical for how the Hawks attack and teams just let them float free as they are too worried about the Hawks half forwards who come up to act as traditional wings.

It is a good tactic from Sam. Lulls teams into thinking they have an advantage with extra men back as their half backs don't follow the half forwards up because the wings pick them up. Then the elite kicking of Mass and Amon pick them apart with little pressure.

I would sacrifice a wing to run with Mass or Amon and see how it gums up the works. Probably Mass due to his age and inexperience but could be either.

Will the Dogs allow the Hawks wingers to float back as 7th and 8th defenders? Mass and Amon are so critical for how the Hawks attack and teams just let them float free as they are too worried about the Hawks half forwards who come up to act as traditional wings.

It is a good tactic from Sam. Lulls teams into thinking they have an advantage with extra men back as their half backs don't follow the half forwards up because the wings pick them up. Then the elite kicking of Mass and Amon pick them apart with little pressure.

I would sacrifice a wing to run with Mass or Amon and see how it gums up the works. Probably Mass due to his age and inexperience but could be either.
Amon doesn't play wing. D'Ambrosio will definitely be on one but usually it will be Morrison/Jiath or Mackenzie rotating through the other

Hawks haven't had a positive free kick ratio in a season since 2018 and are dead last since records were collected of all clubs in terms of free kicks for/against percentage.

Dogs on the other hand.....
The Dogs aren't even positive this year

Amon doesn't play wing. D'Ambrosio will definitely be on one but usually it will be Morrison/Jiath or Mackenzie rotating through the other

My bad. I thought it was Morrison/Jiath acting off the back flank. Either way the strat is still the same. The two wings fold back and the half forwards push up to act as traditional wings.

Works because you have drafted/recruited absolute gut runners. Smart coaching/recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be a hard fought contest, quick and great to watch
Let’s see how the teams line up. One can’t help but barrack for the Hawks their style of footy is exciting, hard and entertaining. Michell, is a quality footy coach . Dogs are impressive too , moving nicely , both very solid footy teams.

Well it’s true. I find it amazingly naive how people say ‘well we beat them in RD 8 so we will win this one’

Just not how it goes.
I purposely avoided the word beat for the reasons you have just stated. I spoke about control of play. Control of play has little to with score but everything to do with system. Running that system against the dogs caused them significant problems because they couldn’t get the game on their terms. Now, Bevo will look at that and try to break it down. How successful he is at the won’t determine the result but it will then put the onus on Mitchell to respond. But be clear on this, Bevo has the more work to do. And getting more of the game on your terms more often than not increases your chances of winning. Furthermore, systems are not as amenable to change as tactics.

Hawks have only defeated 1 top 8 side in their last 10 games, Carlton. It's a soft lead into finals, with rich x2, freo, wce, nm, coll, so we'll see how they go now they only have top 6 sides to play. Lost their last 2 vs top 6. Dogs had 3 good wins vs top 4 in last 7 games.
Yep, that kind of brings be back down to earth😔

I've Seen a lot of Hawks supporter's doing rain dances and stalking BOM thinking it will give them an advantage. Which is really confusing for me. Because we have played some of our best scrappy classic Doggies football in the rain this year(Geelong at GMHBA) and last weekend against the Giants, among others that aren't as memorable.

This may be just ignorance, because I haven't really watched many Hawks games and I strongly suspect their supporters have the same gaps of knowledge.

Hawks supporters -- Why do you think this will aid you?(I'm genuinely no bullshit curious).

Last edited:
I've Seen a lot of Hawks supporter's doing rain dances and stalking BOM thinking it will give them an advantage. Which is really confusing for me. Because we have played some of our best scrappy classic Doggies football in the rain this year(Geelong at GMHBA) and last weekend against the Giants, among others that aren't as memorable.

This may be just ignorance, because I haven't really watched many Hawks games and I strongly suspect their supporters have the same gaps of knowledge.

Hawks supporters -- Why do you think this will aid you?(I'm genuinely no bullshit curious).
Probably due to the the fact that it would be harder for the talla to mark in the wet.
No idea how Dogs have gone in the wet but from your post pretty good.

We have also done well against Pies and North.

It sounds like it is raining in on Friday so idk who that advantages

Probably due to the the fact that it would be harder for the talla to mark in the wet
Ah! That makes sense. That Could mark trouble if you get athletic and especially quick numbers around the ball when it hits the deck. Otherwise, our forward line is pretty elite at groundwork. Naughton, Darcy and Occasionally Jamarra are all semi-big bodies that are scarily fast and nimble.

This is why for the most part, we get away with Weightman being our only proper small.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Back