Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 83 30.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 89 32.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I purposely avoided the word beat for the reasons you have just stated. I spoke about control of play. Control of play has little to with score but everything to do with system. Running that system against the dogs caused them significant problems because they couldn’t get the game on their terms. Now, Bevo will look at that and try to break it down. How successful he is at the won’t determine the result but it will then put the onus on Mitchell to respond. But be clear on this, Bevo has the more work to do. And getting more of the game on your terms more often than not increases your chances of winning. Furthermore, systems are not as amenable to change as tactics.
?

Control of play, system…. Both processes designed to be honed to the point of being the best available to beat you’re opponent.

I purposely avoided the word beat for the reasons you have just stated. I spoke about control of play. Control of play has little to with score but everything to do with system. Running that system against the dogs caused them significant problems because they couldn’t get the game on their terms. Now, Bevo will look at that and try to break it down. How successful he is at the won’t determine the result but it will then put the onus on Mitchell to respond. But be clear on this, Bevo has the more work to do. And getting more of the game on your terms more often than not increases your chances of winning. Furthermore, systems are not as amenable to change as tactics.
I am not sure LB has more work to do. I am glad you’re not coaching Hawthorn….. I wouldn’t be underselling the WB. To be fair you haven’t beaten many top 8 sides, you’ve done demolition jobs on sides not playing finals.

I’ll be surprised if you win.

I've Seen a lot of Hawks supporter's doing rain dances and stalking BOM thinking it will give them an advantage. Which is really confusing for me. Because we have played some of our best scrappy classic Doggies football in the rain this year(Geelong at GMHBA) and last weekend against the Giants, among others that aren't as memorable.

This may be just ignorance, because I haven't really watched many Hawks games and I strongly suspect their supporters have the same gaps of knowledge.

Hawks supporters -- Why do you think this will aid you?(I'm genuinely no bullshit curious).
Dogs may have played some scrappy wins but Hawks handled the ball like dry weather footy in very heavy rain for complete thrashings. It was quite the spectacle and surprising when watching this.

Dogs may have played some scrappy wins but Hawks handled the ball like dry weather footy in very heavy rain for complete thrashings. It was quite the spectacle and surprising when watching this.
Clearly have not watched the dogs at all ... 8 goal win agai St Geelong in Geelong, and 2 GWS 5 goal plus wins with inaccurate kicking in the wet

Wet weather aids contested football. It does not hinder the dog's forward line

Clearly have not watched the dogs at all ... 8 goal win agai St Geelong in Geelong, and 2 GWS 5 goal plus wins with inaccurate kicking in the wet

Wet weather aids contested football. It does not hinder the dog's forward line
Why are you referencing the GWS game? It was blue sky most the match with a few drops towards the end. It wasn't even remotely comparable to our Collingwood and North games, where it bucketed down all game and we still demolished them, handing both sides their biggest losses for the year.

I am not sure LB has more work to do. I am glad you’re not coaching Hawthorn….. I wouldn’t be underselling the WB. To be fair you haven’t beaten many top 8 sides, you’ve done demolition jobs on sides not playing finals.

‘To be fair you haven’t beaten many top 8 sides’. It’s an argument that’s not unique to you. And it is irrelevant. We don’t have to beat the other top eight side in 5 days time, we only have to beat the dogs.

There is a lot banter here between the dogs and hawks supporters. I think both probably nervous about the result. If the hawks bring their A game and they have for most of the season after a poor start they are going to be hard to beat. I think being a young team a big final in front of a big ground may have them a bit off their A game.

The dogs have more experience and they can be very good in the first quarter whilst the younger hawks may have a bit of stage fright earlier and dogs can set up a lead to win this one.

‘To be fair you haven’t beaten many top 8 sides’. It’s an argument that’s not unique to you. And it is irrelevant. We don’t have to beat the other top eight side in 5 days time, we only have to beat the dogs.
Just my observation. I think the WB are the better side but who knows. I could be wrong. Hawthorn might win convincingly.

There is a lot banter here between the dogs and hawks supporters. I think both probably nervous about the result. If the hawks bring their A game and they have for most of the season after a poor start they are going to be hard to beat. I think being a young team a big final in front of a big ground may have them a bit off their A game.

The dogs have more experience and they can be very good in the first quarter whilst the younger hawks may have a bit of stage fright earlier and dogs can set up a lead to win this one.
It's certainly a 50/50 game.

I don't get the confidence from either supporter base. Those thinking it will be a blow out are probably going to be disappointed

Saying the wet conditions won’t suit the Bulldogs just shows you don’t watch footy that doesn’t involve your team.

In the GWS game earlier in year where it pissed all day Naughton was best on ground.

In the very wet conditions in Geelong Jamarra was best on ground.

Bont also is well known to play very well in the wet and handles it like its dry condition.

Bulldogs biggest strength is contested footy and winning clearances, exactly what you want when it’s wet and have tall forwards who are very good below their knees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the expected rain suits Hawthorn rather than the Dogs. They put 20 goals on the Pies in the wet back in July.

Irrespective of the rain, Hawthorn WILL win this game, and win it easily.

The dogs put on 30 scoring shots in the wet back in July against the team that finished 3rd.

We went 4-5 against top 8 sides. Beat GWS (6 points), Brisbane, Bulldogs, Carlton. Lost to Sydney, Port (1 point), Geelong x 2, GWS (2 points).

Dogs went 5-5

Saying the wet conditions won’t suit the Bulldogs just shows you don’t watch footy that doesn’t involve your team.

In the GWS game earlier in year where it pissed all day Naughton was best on ground.

In the very wet conditions in Geelong Jamarra was best on ground.

Bont also is well known to play very well in the wet and handles it like its dry condition.

Bulldogs biggest strength is contested footy and winning clearances, exactly what you want when it’s wet and have tall forwards who are very good below their knees.

Possibly. But it also illustrates how little Dogs supporters (especially the mouthy fellow a few posts above) seem to understand the dynamics of the game, i.e. Hawthorn has an issue with talls, which are the Dogs' strength. Wet weather sees the ball go to ground a lot, and Hawthorn is extremely happy playing at ground level. Put simply, a wet game neutralises your main advantage against us.

Whatever helps you sleep at night... but rain suits the dogs contested style more and I will put my house on Hawthorn not wanting that.

And using the North game 😅
Definitely helps Hawthorn, who love tackling, have shown to handle the ball and use it in the wet well whilst also being generally shorter, hindering the height of the Dogs forward 50.

Won’t make or break a game but definitely favours Hawthorn.

Hawks 3 big crowds this year already. Every game for 2 months has been an elimination

Doggies far more finals experience, particularly Duryea

The thing with wet weather games is that they're usually low scoring, like your first game against the Giants was. They also typically make contested marking a lot harder, which is one of your strengths.

You can huff and puff that we don't watch Dogs games, but your examples are no different from your typical wet weather games. The Hawks games we've referred to have been high scoring, which is why we feel the conditions suit is better. No-one is suggesting it's a guaranteed Hawks win though, like you and Doggy seem to feel.
Hawks have been the best ground ball team in the comp all season while the Dogs are one of the best stoppage teams. Unless it pours and if it does it is usually only a 10-15 minutes patch, I doubt any wet weather will have any influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Back