Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got up at 5.30 am to watch the game. Did not disappoint.

How can they go from the inform team to complete capitulation at home is baffling. It’s not like Geelong played a contested game, either. Just went head to head with speed.

They used all their draft capital on defence last trade season but it still remains their Achilles, as well as an average forward line.

Good luck beating Hawks followed by one of the Sydney teams in Sydney, and then having to face Geelong again but this time at the MCG.

Maybe if Brisbane gets through?

Another wasted year. Shame.

Remember when Dangerfield was never going to play more than 200 games because his game style was too hard on the body? Played his 336th tonight.
Absolute freak! And put in as much physical effort in that final quarter as he did in the first. We were all saying “put him on ice” in that last quarter, and he’s like “no fricking way”. I remember seeing him go to recovery the morning after a particularly brutal game up here against the Lions over a decade ago, and he was, no joke, shuffling. He could barely walk. He rarely doesn’t leave it all on the park.

Port have an unbalanced list of stars and spuds as opposed to Geelong who have a very even team with no weak points.
The only players I would take from Port who played tonight are:
Allir
Bergman
Rozee
Rioli
Georgiades
Butters
Horne Francis
maybe Wines, Burton and Sweet.
Thats half their side

How can they go from the inform team to complete capitulation at home is baffling.
Yeah, it's unbelievable. I get it if they lost by 2-3 goals in a tight contest but Geelong should have won by 100+ with something like 4.12 from set shots.

Geelong had +80 disposals but only +4 inside 50's.

They literally played the Crows showdown gameplan, probably invented by Rahilly where Port rush forward, leave the back exposed and score out the back goals on turnover.

How’s half of them touching the photos in the race on the way out.
Cult
Yeah I thought at the time, that 'this is weird'

They weigh heavily into what has happened before them as a predicted outcome for the future.

Problem is that what they think as 'what has happened before them' is the dominance of the Magpies in the SANFL, not what it actually is, which is the last 10 years of finals failures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from Rioli and Georgardis their forwards are useless. If Butters isnt running rings around everyone then the midfield gets destroyed.

Rioli is not a great forward. Does a few good things but doesnt chase or pressure. More of your opportunist small forward. JHF is a better forward and he is a midfielder.

Both teams next week Port will struggle with, but I feel like the dogs will match up better.

The dogs have the midfield to match up against Port, but also I can’t see how Port will stop their forwardline.
Trouble is the dogs have sucked in adelaide both times this year.
Hawthorn were 40pts up on them

Ports run home flattered them.

Sydney result aside (which was an anomaly and the sort of freak occurrence that sport throws up every now and then)

Beat Freo who aren’t that good. Missed the 8. Missing their number 1 young forward.

Beat us only after knocking out our best player. And we suck.

Just beat Melbourne who suck just as much as us and all hate each other.

Thrashed Sydney.

Beat Carlton who had bottom 4 form at the end of the season.

Beat Richmond. Everyone beats Richmond. Except us. See point above re sucking.

Lost to Gold Coast.

No games there (apart from Sydney) that would have prepared them for last night and gave them the sort of false confidence that had Dixon commenting that premiership medals should also go to players not picked (playing the long game there dicko) and Kochie flapping about arrogantly on radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back