Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Georgiades isn't getting a game ahead of Walker, Fog or RT. Our forward line is signficantly better than theirs. Rioli borderline, but isn't fit to lace Rankines boots nor racheles to be fair. Rioli kicked 30 goals this year - his highest ever and he is 30. Rachele is already doing that as a 21 year old.

Rioli would be playing Sanfl. He is a lazy player. Watched Geelong players run off him at will and he didnt move. He is clever, dont get me wrong but he is lazy and goes missing when the pressure is on. Stengle showed him up by two way running.

I thought I was. I’ll do better 😛

All in all, am just shocked. The failure normally hits in a knockout final, their home qualifying finals have been their happy place and I am sure they believed (like most of us did to be fair) it would continue. Very glad to be wrong.
I don't really understand the dynamics of how a team can be strong in H&A and fall away in finals. It happens in other sports too. I watched the recent NHL playoffs and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the Port Adelaide of Ice Hockey. Massive finals chokers.

I don't really understand the dynamics of how a team can be strong in H&A and fall away in finals. It happens in other sports too. I watched the recent NHL playoffs and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the Port Adelaide of Ice Hockey. Massive finals chokers.
And I thought we had a woeful finals record. And well, we do, but so many were close losses.
They get pumped. Every year. At home.
And still, every year I’m surprised.

Last edited:
Port have an unbalanced list of stars and spuds as opposed to Geelong who have a very even team with no weak points.
The only players I would take from Port who played tonight are:
Allir
Bergman
Rozee
Rioli
Georgiades
Butters
Horne Francis
maybe Wines, Burton and Sweet.
But it's all Hinkley's fault lol. Apparently most of their supporters think they have a premiership list. Burton and Wines has been shit for years and I would take Houston.

Yes, it is genuinely interesting. This season overall has been bizarre, I mean, Port had no right finishing second but put together a ‘strong’ last six or so weeks and with the close wins they had throughout the year, that’s where they landed and you give yourselves a good short to get to a grand final from the top two. Makes tonight almost unbelievable.

A concern they are still in it. I mean, will be a major task to turn it around, but normally Ken’s sons rally for dear old dad after they let him down. A win and then an away prelim might be something of a pressure valve release, not the crushing expectation of a home prelim like 20/21. Still one week at a time as they say, but the psychology of it all is fascinating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Port are perennial bed-shitters, Geelong produced that without a star-studded midfield and Tom Stewart.

Whilst they have a gun forward line, Geelong aren't equipped with a lot of stars yet continuously stay around the mark (last year not withstanding). Chris Scott is the best coach in the league, and has been for some time.
We should pay him $2 million a year and we'd be in finals easily

As much as Port are perennial bed-shitters, Geelong produced that without a star-studded midfield and Tom Stewart.

Whilst they have a gun forward line, Geelong aren't equipped with a lot of stars yet continuously stay around the mark (last year not withstanding). Chris Scott is the best coach in the league, and has been for some time.

Agree. This is a coach who knows what he is doing. It shows.

Simple really, they had the easiest draw in the competition....

Said it all year, they will absolutely capitulate when the iron gets turned up a few notches which turned out to be the case.

Jeff is an S.A. based Cats supporter who hates Port Adelaide. Like Jeff, yours truly is also an Adelaide-based Cats supporter (Panthers are my SANFL side) and I absolutely hate Port Adelaide.
It goes deeper than just randomly shitting on / trolling the team we just so happen to be playing against at the time. Beating Port Adelaide feels like a double victory. They're scum.

Imagine being a Geelong supporter.
Success.
Games in Geelong for a getaway down the coast.
Prime time games in Melb.
Not gonna lie, it's pretty good.

Even my Crows supporting misso said that if Geelong was a bloke, she'd leave me for him.

Couldn't even blame me for being a cuck in that hypothetical scenaeio. 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back