Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know what you mean - I guess the 2.5m difference each side could appear accentuated as the SCG camera is quite low? But don’t think it’s the difference in their performance
Be interesting to see their mids with goals scored home vs away.
I know before the grand final Sydney’s 3 mids had 80 odd goals and about 6 of brisbanes mids totaled 40 odd goals

It looked like they didn't have any effort left to give when Brisbane destroyed them in the second quarter. Dropped their heads and went through the motions as if it was happening to them yet again
They lost the midfield battle. Comprehensively. Unfortunately for Sydney, they don't have the talent in their forward line that Bris do to cover such a drubbing out of the middle. If the Syd mids aren't on top, good luck relying on Amartey and co to turn the tide. Their only hope was to get back even in the midfield and go all out attack and stay positive, but I agree, they just capitulated. They may have been able to turn it around at the SCG in June, but their September demons got the better of them today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end, speed did not win it at all. Big bodies won it, and then elite kicking. We don't have this and wont get anywhere in finals unless we address this.

What we do have is a potent fwd line which sydney did not have today even when it got in there. TBH sydney today looked like FWD DEF and RUC lines looked like they need a rebuild.

In the end, speed did not win it at all. Big bodies won it, and then elite kicking. We don't have this and wont get anywhere in finals unless we address this.

What we do have is a potent fwd line which sydney did not have today even when it got in there. TBH sydney today looked like FWD DEF and RUC lines looked like they need a rebuild.
The bigger bodies around the ball was definitely a factor. McCluggage, Berry, Dunkley are all monsters. Even Neale and Rayner, though they are short, are built like a tank.

Not sure I agree, Brisbane players were running on top of the ground whereas Sydney players looked like they had lead in their shoes.
Sure it wasn’t straight line speed , but the ability to get past 2 to 3 opponents. Neale and Ashcroft did this often .

Even our forward line is miles off Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, Archee, Lohmann and Rayner and whoever else rotates through there. There are a few roles players in there but every one of them could have a day out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back