Game Day AFL Preliminary Final - Matchday Discussion GWS@Collingwood(MCG – 4:35PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We agree then, that's how I see it. Coniglio and Whitfield matched against Cox, Greenwood, Langdon and our list of 7 players who are a major risk to play in a final. Whether it's in our favour or theirs depends on how our "fingers crossed" selections go.

I don't know the Giants players well enough to list the selected players that are risks for them. That may make a difference.
So you've decided that 7 of ours are a major risk "fingers crossed" selections, but none of theres are - despite them playing guys like Keeffe and Mumford?

Keep back pedaling its most amusing.

Wills is a quality hard inside mid and no amount of bleating about his lack of experience is going to cover the seemingly obvious bias you have against him.

Be a man and admit it.
No back pedaling. Just explaining my original point.

And no, Wills is objectively not a quality AFL inside mid. Quality inside mids don't have 14 games to their name at 26 years old.

So you've decided that 7 of ours are a major risk "fingers crossed" selections, but none of theres are - despite them playing guys like Keeffe and Mumford?
As I said I don't know the Giants well enough to list their risks. Mumford has played 18 games this year and is an experienced AFL player. He's not to be compared to any of the 7 players I listed. Elliott is the one you could question from my list seeing as his form is great and he has strung games together.

Keeffe is one that I would mention. Though he's not at the same level of risk as Noble or Wills. He has 57 games to his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who imagines Wills is a 'worst player in the finals' obviously has NFI about football - especially finals football.
He might be one of the least talent, but he makes us better. Since his return, we've started to get some clean breaks from stoppage. He's doing a great job.

He might be one of the least talent, but he makes us better. Since his return, we've started to get some clean breaks from stoppage. He's doing a great job.
This is definitely true. As I said before "worst" was in quotes for a reason. He has a certain skillset and even though it's limited, he might be able to play an important role for us this finals series. So far he has. We've seen it for such a short time that we can't be sure his positives will continue to outweigh his negatives. That's why he's a risk, not an out and out failure dud selection, something I've never said. Your comparison with Mumford is a good one, both playing more for their physical presence than anything else. Mumford though has more experience to back that up and should be less of a risk, though he may be failing physically.

How much we attribute our uptick in performance to Wills is very difficult to say though. Adams came in at the same time and is a very good player. What we can say is that he has not negatively effected our performance and that's a big thing to say of a player who many had not expected to see at AFL level again.

Rupert wills is a king maybe he doesn’t kick fancy goals and run the ball down the ground but he tackles like a bull and if we have no one playing his role then good luck getting the ball to the boys who kick the fancy goals. Get ruped mofos

Looking at our team in comparison to the Giants outs has helped to manage my expectations. Despite the media hysteria we are not significantly better placed in terms of personnel.

The absent De Goey cancels out Greene.

Cox missing is a major structural issue. Langdon and Greenwood out is a blow to defensive cohesiveness.

Then we have the following with major questions or risk attached:
Reid (fragile and not played in months)
Aish (not played in months and never a clear best 22 player)
Moore (hamstring still a concern)
Elliott (hamstring still a concern)

Noble (only in the league since mid year. Has never had an AFL pre season)
Wills (VFL level player with no offensive game)

With Wills and Noble we may just have the two "worst" players in this finals series. Both are a major risk. Wills with no offensive game and a major fumble, silly free against risk. Noble without an AFL pre season and with a risk taking mentality. He made many mistakes early against Geelong, it was only luck that they did not cost us a few goals.

These risks and other outs puts us close to equivalency with the Giants for personnel going into this game. We are only better off if our fingers crossed selections pay off. Their major out is Whitfield, the rest are cogs that don't cause significant structural issues.

That said we've been building form and fitness for over a month now, as have the Giants. Both teams are in a good position to strongly attack this Prelim. The recency of the Whitfield out and the fact we are playing at home gives us the edge, but I have no doubt it will be a tough contest. Pies to bring it home by 16 points.

Wills is no way the worst player in the finals, you’re kidding!
He has played well in a team roll and I have faith he will be at the bottom of every pack today and throwing himself into every contest.
He hasn’t even been our worst player

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rupert wills is a king maybe he doesn’t kick fancy goals and run the ball down the ground but he tackles like a bull and if we have no one playing his role then good luck getting the ball to the boys who kick the fancy goals. Get ruped mofos
It's pointless trying to reason with unreasoning bias lilzab, let him stew in his own crud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back