Preview AFL Round 12 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 6 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Smedts example shows Kersten should not play next week. Although I rate Kersten and think he is a good chance to be best 22 by year's end, he needs another few weeks at the lower level.

Walker should be in next week so much it is not funny.

Walker should have been in the team for weeks already.. I seriously can not get my head around why we are persisting with a ruckman at CHF

Has everyone got their tickets to this? As usual I only thought about getting tickets today and ticketmaster is coughing up crap, ie. row Q.

Yes Dear… I do have my tickets for THIS one…

Little subdued but I aint traveling 17000 kms for a loss…

GO Catters

Let's consider the variables:

- Hasn't played all season at either level
- Coming off a long injury layoff
- No form to speak of
- Match fitness could be in question

Based on that, I'd say he's a certain inclusion. :thumbsu:

I take the point you are making but last week he played VFL managed minutes and kicked 2 goals. One from a strong lead and mark outside 50. Cant remember the other…

Go Catters

IN: Enright and Lonergan
OUT: Smedts and McIntosh

B: Enright, Lonergan, Blicavs
HB: Mackie, Rivers, Kelly
C: Stokes, Johnson, Horlin-Smith
HF: Duncan, Taylor, Motlop
F: Murdoch, Hawkins, Bartel
R: Simpson, Selwood, Guthrie

Int: Varcoe, Sheringham, Bews
Sub: Stringer

Emg: Walker, Hunt and Lang

The Tosh has not missed a game this year. While he was alright last night, I'd like to see us go with just the one log ruckman (Simpson played better in his 6 games last year as the lone log ruckman). The Tosh just hasn't worked in recent weeks as the 2nd ruck/makeshift CHF. Been annoying to watch CS persist with it for so long.

I blame MC for bringing Smedts in over Hunt last night. Give Billie 2 solid weeks in the VFL before bringing him back. Also, pre-season he was back pocket and played ok from memory. Still unsure of his best position though. Hunt's last AFL game was against Freo. Was he really that bad?

At the moment, I see Walker as a star VFL player but just off the pace in the AFL. I know Harry is our best CHB, but he has played decent footy at CHF. Kersten will come in in a few weeks, but will he be good enough come finals? After Blitz's past two weeks, I think for the rest of this season at least, he should be played as the 2nd or 3rd tall defender (like Rivers has been) while being able to relieve either one of Simpson or McIntosh in the ruck. With an 'easier' draw coming up, I reckon we give this a crack. We won premierships with a spread of goalkickers. While I love seeing Tom kick bags most weeks, we need to get back to sharing the load. With Lonergan at full-back and Mackie off half-back, I can see Rivers and Blitz both alternating between CHB and the 3rd/intercepting tall.

Sheringham was good when he came on last night, but I can't wait to get Christensen and Caddy back in (missing those 2 plus Joel Corey have been massive outs from last year to this year; although Guthrie and Horlin-Oates have stepped up in their absence). I also can't wait to see a fit Smedts and a Lang cameo in the near future.

I hope we are in full rebuild mode now.

As I have been saying all year bring in Walker/Brown to play CHF, just no reason not to get games into them. Even if they are going to get delisted at least it keeps a good structure until Kersten/Vardy are ready.

Keep the 2 rucks, Simpson needs to develop.

This, this, EXACTLY THIS!

That is what I just cannot fathom.

Oh, unrelated to this, just a general comment on Simpson. I for one was actually glad he took the responsibility for that kick at goal, and more to the point, that he told Johnson to get the hell out of there. Fed up with Johnson trying to tell everyone how to kick goals around the body - I'm hoping Simpson pointed out he actually played last week and Johnson didn't. Anyway, that's my rant.

It's been getting clearer and clearer we need another marking forward to help Hawkins.
The MC don't seem to have faith in Walker and Brown, so I assume when Kersten is fit enough they will bring him in for a go.
Seeing as though they've had a tendency to bring players coming back from injury quickly (something I don't agree with), when do you think they might do that?
And can you see them putting Brown or Walker in for a week or two or three in the meantime?
Have we reached the tipping point this week and can no longer ignore the CHF problem? Or do you think they will try to muddle through a few more weeks with the current team?
What do you think the MC will do? And what do you think they should do with this issue?

It's been getting clearer and clearer we need another marking forward to help Hawkins.
The MC don't seem to have faith in Walker and Brown, so I assume when Kersten is fit enough they will bring him in for a go. Seeing as though they've had a tendency to bring players coming back from injury quickly (something I don't agree with), when do you think they might do that?

Kersten? Could easily be next week. He might play 1 VFL game but at the most that'll be it before he's introduced.

And can you see them putting Brown or Walker in for a week or two or three in the meantime?

Nope. They should. They won't.

Have we reached the tipping point this week and can no longer ignore the CHF problem?

Yes.

Or do you think they will try to muddle through a few more weeks with the current team?

Yes. Minimal changes.

What do you think the MC will do?

Speak in very vague terms. They certainly won't make sweeping changes.

And what do you think they should do with this issue?

Reward VFL form with senior selection. Play either Walker or Brown as a CHF and leave them there for the remainder of the year. Bring back Taylor Hunt. Demote Smedts and Varcoe. Decide which 2 out of Simpson, McIntosh and Blicavs are the ruckmen and play them and only them. Try and come up with a gameplan that involves winning contested possessions and clearances. Stop thinking about how good players might be in future and look at how good they are right now. Select players who are actually match fit and in good form.

Perhaps , but if I was going to pick someone fresh it would have been Kersten. We are on the clock ,he must play this year and if he has a good game this week Id strongly consider playing him. The truth is our forwardline looks that flaccid that you could bring both in.

But I wonder if they will do some sort of , it was too bad to be true and go again with the same bar injuries.

I know in such a small ground contested game both Motlop and Varcoe looked pedestrian. Not sure if they will remember this Ind round fondly

Give Kersten another game or two in the reserves to hit his straps. As for fresh, Lang and Jansen worth a look in. Would pick them over all of Stringer, Sheringham, Smedts and Varcoe that's for sure. I'd like to see Walker come in. We need him both from a structural POV and for him to develop too.

Well I'd like to see the following structural changes.
I want us to peel the layers right back and go in with a more standard setup.

Hmac rucks alone, with Blicavs as support.

We get our back half sorted, and let Kelly set up play.
So the backline group will be Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers, Mackie, Enright, Kelly, Thurlow.

I want Guthrie to be released to free wheel in the middle.
Hunt can tag.

Bartel can go back up forward and Walker can provide the CHF structure.

So;
In- Hunt, Lonergan, Enright, Thurlow, Walker
Out - Smedts, Simpson, Bews, Stringer, Varcoe,

Give Kersten another game or two in the reserves to hit his straps. As for fresh, Lang and Jansen worth a look in. Would pick them over all of Stringer, Sheringham, Smedts and Varcoe that's for sure. I'd like to see Walker come in. We need him both from a structural POV and for him to develop too.

We don't need him to develop. Vardy is our CHF and is guaranteed to be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vardy may be a star but he is yet to play more than a few games at all let alone consecutively. Wouldn't be making decisions this year for his return next year.

It looks very much like they are. Scott said at the start of the year he was irreplaceable which I found staggering. But I'm getting less and less surprised by his decisions every week.

In : Lonergan Enright Hunt Lang Hartman Jansen
Out : Simpson Smedts Sheringham Stringer Bews Varcoe

B: Enright Lonergan Rivers
HB: Mackie Blicavs Hunt
C: Guthrie Kelly Duncan
HF: Murdoch Taylor Motlop
F: Stokes Hawkins Johnson
Foll: McIntosh Bartel Selwood
Inter: Lang Jansen GHS
Sub: Hartman

Given there is no vfl game this week, Kersten can't show fitness, so no for me.

Completely disagree on the second bit, McIntosh has exceeded expectations and has been very good when in the ruck (it is not his fault they play him at CHF that is MC's fault)

And fitness wise he is way fitter than Dawson, which given he hasn't played for 3 years is an indictment on Simpson.

I think the latter is clearly the ruck who needs to go back to the vfl.

That said, with his injury history Hamish will be due for a preventative rest soon and the next few weeks would be the window to do it.

Well its not first time or the last.

Hmac has been a wasted trade that may have justified its self by his performance in the first year . Fail. Or by him helping us beat Freo Fail or by his performance in the finals. Jury is out. If we accept its not our time and we will probably drop a little before bouncing back up then he is just a older bloke stopping a young guy get better.

You have a fair point on Kertsen re no VFL , but we are so devoid of anything like a forwarline that can threaten I forgot that. Hawkins as our sole target because again Hmac is useless in the forwardline , and after that we have very few guys that look likely to worry the other side. Bartel has at times but he seems to have lost his leap, he is not as strong over head as he once was.

Why are Richmond & Essendon playing the only VFL game this week ?

No idea - all I know from looking at the fixture for this round (which goes over 2 weeks), with the Richmond vs Essendon game at Punt Rd Sat afternoon as the lead in match to the Dream Time game. But no idea why that should exclude any other game being played.

No idea - all I know from looking at the fixture for this round (which goes over 2 weeks), with the Richmond vs Essendon game at Punt Rd Sat afternoon as the lead in match to the Dream Time game. But no idea why that should exclude any other game being played.
Is the VFL interleague this week?

Rivers performance against Tippet under extreme pressure was exemplary and showed he can hold down a key post for the rest of the season. We severely lack another tall target up forward, which means Harry must play forward, even accounting for the fact of how good he's been down back.

Lonergan/Rivers down back

Hawkins/Taylor up forward.

Varcoe - Must be dropped. Shows no desire whatsoever for the jumper and needs some home truths.

Simpson - Simply doesn't do enough and 3 ruckman type is slowing the team down.

Stringer, Sheringham - Both simply not up to AFL standard.

Smedts - too soft and takes the game for granted.

Blicavs - Decision making is terrible.

Murdoch - Struggles with pressure.

Unfortunately we're carrying a few at the minute and not all of them can be dropped.

In: Jansen, Enright, Lonergan, Lang

Out: Sheringham, Smedts, Murdoch, Simpson

If Mackie doesn't recover then Walker comes in and Taylor plays back.

Varcoe sub.

I know that so why aren't Richmond & Essendon also having a bye like every other club ?

Maybe because AFL listed players can't be selected for the interleague match, and with the Dream Time game on Saturday night they thought this was a good opportunity for a double header match. As the round goes over 2 weekends, Richmond & Essendon don't play next week.

It may be a case that if this wasn't Indigenous round and no Dream Time match, then there would have been no Richmond vs Essendong VFL match this weekend either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back