Preview AFL Round 14 - Geelong v Adelaide, Skilled Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some weird selection and positionings! Why risk Jimmy or James Kelly? If Mitch Duncan is fit enough to be selected, why isn't he in the run-on side? It'll be good to see Mitch Brown though!

It would be illuminating to compare this listed line-up against what actually lines up on Sunday

Some weird selection and positionings! Why risk Jimmy or James Kelly? If Mitch Duncan is fit enough to be selected, why isn't he in the run-on side? It'll be good to see Mitch Brown though!

It would be illuminating to compare this listed line-up against what actually lines up on Sunday

There is no doubt in my mind that Scott is "fast-tracking" kids at the expense of team structure to some degree now.
Partly as a necessity to make for a seamless generational transition over the next 2-3 years, and partly as a way of ensuring players aren't worn down by years end, particularly younger players. In as much as it makes sense to rest senior players, giving 1-2 year players a break both mentally and physically when we are 12-0 makes complete sense to me.
The way we're going, we will face September with a list full of as much energy and contingency as possible, plus if we get a run of outs late in the year, Scott can fill the gaps with ready made replacements.
Those first 5-6 wins this year were absolute rolled gold!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that Scott is "fast-tracking" kids at the expense of team structure to some degree now.
Partly as a necessity to make for a seamless generational transition over the next 2-3 years, and partly as a way of ensuring players aren't worn down by years end, particularly younger players. In as much as it makes sense to rest senior players, giving 1-2 year players a break both mentally and physically when we are 12-0 makes complete sense to me.
The way we're going, we will face September with a list full of as much energy and contingency as possible, plus if we get a run of outs late in the year, Scott can fill the gaps with ready made replacements.

This. (i hope)

Absolutely nailed it.

Carlton have really made a major step in the right direction this season haven't they. Their form is almost as good as Collingwood's yet this week will be a true test to see where they are at. If West Coast thought they had a shot at the premiers but came up short by over 8 goals then how will they go against the challenger? I reckon Carlton will be in for a tough match because they simply haven't got enough tall backman to cover 3 genuinly tall forwards. Which is a major reason why Geelong is still going to be the favourite if we have to play them in the finals. Pods, Vardy and Mooney or Pods, Mooney and Hawkins are all over 6ft 4 in height. The exact same reason why West Coast will stay in the game and either lose in a thriller or win it by 3 points. Carlton are good but remember we didn't exactly play to our full potential when we still won by a few points and the same could be said for Collingwood when they met before us. It's great how the hype is generated in the space of a month because of some big wins but suits Geelong because again...we found ourselves behind Collingwood and Hawthorn (if not for some injuries)and nearly on par with Carlton:D
forgotten that kreuzer is back? he'll free up waite to help in defence and carlton are complete. i pick them to play pies in october, pies have never lost a gf in october. carlton will be too fast and potent for geelong in finals. those cat forwards you mentioned, only one works, the others are gone or inexperienced. tell me i'm wrong, but carlton are the 2011 version of 2008 hawks, but they have to beat geelong then pies.

Congrats to Mitch for getting a game though I would have liked it if Vardy were in the team as well to allow Mitch to be the third tall as it stands if he lines up at FF Rutten will be his match up and IMO will monster him in one on ones
ottens will be the third tall, with simpson rucking most of the game, ottens mainly forward, pods and brown, perfect

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but I don't see why Dawson Simpson has been named. What possible incentive do we have to play him, with Ottens having already rested quite recently, and Hawkins fit and available?
Hawkins has been in ordinary form in the VFL and didn't play last week due to injury.Simpson easily deserves a game ahead of him,plus he's more mobile than Hawkins.I'd be staggered [actually pissed off] if Hawkins plays ahead of Simpson.

Thing is JUBJUB, was he playing injured? Sore perhaps?

I saw him down at Werribee, something was definitely wrong, didn't look like he could run and jump into a pack at all, just gave up a lot of the time. Didn't see much of him after the half so perhaps there was an injury limiting him.

Maybe he was,which is more reason for him to spend more time in the VFL to get some form and fitness back.

Still not sure why Duncan isn't starting with doubts over Jimmy and Kels. I'll be watching his game on the weekend to see what flaws the coaches are seeing in his game.

If they have named Hawkins and Simpson on the I/C does that mean one of our talls is doubtful? Or maybe Simpson is cover if Hawkins is not right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not sure why Duncan isn't starting with doubts over Jimmy and Kels. I'll be watching his game on the weekend to see what flaws the coaches are seeing in his game.
doubt he's fully recovered from his concussion, otherwise a sure starter

If they have named Hawkins and Simpson on the I/C does that mean one of our talls is doubtful? Or maybe Simpson is cover if Hawkins is not right?
could it be that pessimismer is correct, that both Ottens and Simpson will play, with Ottens more fixed at FF?

Strange squad TBH.

Gillies I don't really get, not sure we need 4 tall defenders and not convinced he can be a running half back (he must surely slot into that Milburn role because he won't be playing full back ahead of Lonergan). Guthrie's form has been better over the last month or two and would make more sense IMO. Anyway, I'm intrigued to see how we structure up there.

What has Hawkins done to merit a recall? (answer: somewhere between nothing and very little) Hopefully they play Simpson ahead of him, partly for that reason, but partly also because Hawkins can't be trusted with the ruck minutes that Vardy can because he's a much inferior ruckman, whereas Dawson could be trusted with some significant minutes in that role which would allow us to manage Otto's workload and give him some forward time at times. I will give them credit for resting Vardy though, I said a few weeks ago one of the three talls ought to be rested this week, but I thought they'd back out of it given our depleted team, glad to see they haven't. Vardy will be very critical against the Bombers and the Eagles and a rest will help him over the journey (i.e. having the petrol in the tank to play well in September).

Obviously the four outs will be replaced by the three guys who went into the 18, plus either Simpson or Hawkins, which means Byrnes Motlop and Hawkins/Simpson will be the emergencies (personally I'd drop Varcoe for Byrnes if Byrnes was truly match fit, but as he's not Varcoe gets one last chance and he better really step up to the plate this week). But there's my other question, surely Bartel and Corey have to be in some doubt, and yet our emergencies will be two small forwards and either a ruckman or a tall forward? Either they've been giving us a bum steer all week and Bartel/Kelly were never in doubt at all, or they've missed a track not naming at least one actual midfielder as an emergency. I would have had Cowan or Simpkin as one of the three emgs.

I agree with Exhale and some others that Brown's body is still not ready for seniors, but his form has been good and he does thus deserve a shot, hopefully they don't sit the ball on his head, and just instruct him to roam between the arcs and use his ability to read the play and mobility. Good to see Bundy get another game and hopefully he can continue to make an impression.

Have to wait until the final teams are announced, but I'm really looking forward to Mitch Brown hopefully debuting.

I'd go with this for the final squad:
IN: Byrnes, Christensen, Brown, Simpson
OUT: J Hunt, Stokes, Milburn, Vardy

I don't really like giving Gillies a game when he's not performing at his best at vfl level, I think we've got enough versatility to cover down back

Why mention you're looking forward to Brown, then not saying he's an in? Surely will debut being named at FF.

I never said he wasn't in? :confused:

Of course he's in.

Edit: sorry my bad, wrong post.

Have to wait until the final teams are announced, but I'm really looking forward to Mitch Brown hopefully debuting.

I'd go with this for the final squad:
IN: Byrnes, Christensen, Brown, Simpson
OUT: J Hunt, Stokes, Milburn, Vardy

I don't really like giving Gillies a game when he's not performing at his best at vfl level, I think we've got enough versatility to cover down back

Gillies Christensen and Brown are in the 18 so they are definitely going to play.

It's simply a matter of which three guys (of the seven on the bench) drop off the bench.

Gillies Christensen and Brown are in the 18 so they are definitely going to play.

It's simply a matter of which three guys (of the seven on the bench) drop off the bench.

Is that always the case? Gillies down back might be a smokescreen if they're looking to throw a wildcard on the half back flank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back