Review AFL Round 15 autopsy - Essendon defeat Geelong by 4 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Autopsy thread - Essendon defeat Geelong by 4 points

112 less possessions

+15 inside 50's

+6 free kicks

What does this say?

Hold onto the ball and deny us time with the ball and we never get confidence or momentum, we play majority of the game frustrated and make stupid errors. Ive said it in other threads and i'll say it again, Mark Thompson knew exactly how to beat us

Did Brown Re-injure his shoulder??

Think so:(

Looked like Pod's and Fletcher landed on him late in the last quarter

Re: How Embarrasing

We kicked ourselves out of it. Simple as that.

too a degree. the miss by the pod was embarrasing.

our intensity in the first half in particular killed us. Apart from christensen in the 1st half and duncan in the 2nd our kids couldn't stand up when they had to. mind you most of our seniors weren't any better. Pods, Scarlett, Stevie J (1st 3 qtrs) Lonergan, Ottens early played their worst footy for the year and when we needed one the kids to give them a chop out they weren't up to it. It happens and I don't think we'll panic.

steve j magic in the last with a brilliant cameo (after being pretty much a liability for the rest off game), disguises the fact that essendon wanted it more. they deserved their win.

Scott was for the first time outcoached, and quite badly IMO. He will learn.

Lowest possession total for about 5 years tonight. Reckon we really missed the likes of Corey and Selwood. Essendon were absolutely fanatic, i honestly didn't think they were capable of applying that pressure, and creating so much space for their forwards. Hille, Crameri, Monfries and Colyer all found acres of space.

Probably better to find out though mid-season than later in the year, no side can realistically never lose. A reminder to the Cats that sides will gun for them and that constant improvement is always the watchword of the opposition.

Once we get Selwood and Corey back in, the clearances will start to come back our way i'm sure.

I think a lot of people underestimate Bombers and Mcartney's knowledge of Geelong.

All credit to bombers they played well and deserved to win. Suck it boys may go b2b losses with WC next week...

Worse thing for me about this lose is my best mate and brother go for the Dons and I have been sticking it up them for ages time to take some back...:(

Just heard on KROCK that Mitch Brown has hurt his shoulder...

Will keep listening for further info..

Keep all posted..

That was some absolute shocking footy tonight!

As some have already said, the older guys looked disinterested. And in the end the desperate Bombers were much more desperate than us! Full credit to them for their pressure and accuracy in front of goal - both those things were obviously lacking from our game.

Delivery into the forward 50 was appalling, and our clearances were horrible. Bartel, Chapman, Kelly, Ottens, Scarlett, Enright were all missing when it counted most.

I think the result shows what can happen when a team comes out with guns blazing, stellar pressure and your not expecting it - if we had of, I think we would have gone harder at it.

The result will hopefully be a kick up the arse of our key players so we are primed and hungry for next week, and coming into the end of the season!

But most of all, I think we should spare a thought for the IDIOT who bet 1 millions dollars!! It was never a sure thing, Corey, Selwood and Varcoe all being out and the Bombers really had nothing to lose than to throw the kitchen sink at us... which they did.

Think so:(

Looked like Pod's and Fletcher landed on him late in the last quarter

Well if he did it would have to be the most predictable injury in AFL history. His body was still nowhere near strong enough for AFL and if it is as bad as it looked, we'll have to wait till 2012 to see him again.

And I seriously hope I'm jumping to conclusions.

had to have a bad one sooner or later. Oh well life goes on. We are still top of the ladder and still a contender for the flag. One bad night at the office doesn't define a season.

Weird, weird game...I'm sure the neutrals would have loved it, because if you didnt care who won, it was one of the games of the year. Essendon were much better on the night and deserved to win and yet, we absolutely shot ourselves in the foot with misses from set shots. Vardy, Pods x 2, Johnson with 2 early...just not good enough.

As for Darcy...I wonder how Paddy Ryder's going at the moment. Any chance of giving us the 600th update for the game, Darce? Because we know how commendable it is for a professional footballer to actually play like he gives a stuff for the first time in two months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown's strapped shoulder it was. He didn't look in pain but he wasn't moving his arm when he was running off. Knowing his luck its probably season over.

Very poor goal kicking tonight. Very strange choice taking a key defender as the sub.

Essendon busted their gut a lot more than we did.

they the dons wanted the ball more got more of the pill and were better kick in front of the sticks and played much better.geelong played crap most of the night and just fell short.are real test next week V the weagles go cats chin up.

The bummers were ferocious tonight, their work rate returned to the levels they showed in the first 8 weeks of the season, have to give then credit for that. But where has this intensity been in the last 7 weeks or so? :rolleyes:

It's annoying that certain teams save their absolute best for when they play us. lol

No biggie you can't expect any team to be up for every single game, we've been lucky with two of the close ones (carltank and saints), the boys eventually had to lower their colours. Better for it to happen against the bummers who are unlikely to feature in the finals than either colonwood or the cawks.

Would have merged the "how embarrassing" thread into the "autopsy" thread, not the other way around.

This thread is embarrassing. We were bound to lose one day and we at least fought it out in the end. Credit must be given to the Bombers for how well they played.

I reckon Mike Sheahan will be pulling an all-nighter. This is the match he's been waiting all season for.

Kudos to Essendon. Played us really well and we were shithouse. Disposal was poor and our forward line was absolutely atrocious - but the disposal inside 50 wasn't much better. Absolutely filthy on the umpiring in the first half, which was absolutely disgraceful, and the commentary. I don't think I've ever heard a more biased commentary unless listening to KRock. They were willing Geelong to lose, which in itself isn't bad (everyone loves an underdog), but to do it on TV just makes the game unenjoyable and frustrating. Piss off C10, thank god you're not broadcasting footy next year.

Once again, kudos to Essendon - especially Hird. They were easily the best team on the day and their intensity and gameplan were exceptional. I will rage if there is a column tomorrow about how Thompson won them the game because that is bullshit and actually an insult to Essendon and the way the won that match.

I didn't think it was embarrassing at all.

The stakes for ESS for very high - their season on the line.
The stakes for GEE weren't so high - to the point that we are starting to 'player manage' the list for September.

In missing Selwood, Corey and Varcoe it meant that 3 of our main midfield rotations were not there. That is hard to cover.

ESS played out of their skins and should be congratulated for it. GEE played poorly for most of the night. Which makes going down by just 4 points all the more remarkable - given the games stats we should have been creamed.

I'd like to see us take a similar squad (the same team perhaps) to Perth. Will learn more from these losses and i think the more experience we get into the likes of Vardy, Motlop and Christenson now the better. It is a luxury that can be afforded with 13 wins already on the board.

And one thing you will not here the media mention is that there was half dozen blokes out there tonight with 30 odd games between them. That is something to take from the loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 15 autopsy - Essendon defeat Geelong by 4 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back