Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love us to keep half a dozen of the kids who played in the side yesterday in the side for the Essendon game. How sweet would it be if we thrashed the Bombers with Thompson in their coaches box with a bunch of kids he refused to play when he was our coach? :D

Would love us to keep half a dozen of the kids who played in the side yesterday in the side for the Essendon game. How sweet would it be if we thrashed the Bombers with Thompson in their coaches box with a bunch of kids he refused to play when he was our coach? :D
In fairness to Bomber he wasn't bad at playing kids through the premiership years....and a lot of other people would have backed the experience of 2 time premiership players over first year players in Duncan, Menzel and Hunt...hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Certainly Josh Hunt and Stokes have to come back in, they were both in career best form and as a rule, never flirt with form! (Ditto Trav!)

Otto' and Vardy must play...this is a huge confidence boosting game for Vardy, especially against the three prong ruck attack that Essendon will most likely go for.

Wouldn't suprise me if Chappy was rested, but he would be dead keen to play given the aura of the game! Same with Smithy....Kelly and Bartel are certainties as well....

That leaves minimum of 6 changes!!! Don't know how thats going to work, maybe Menzel will be rested, maybe Ling....Would love Gillies to get another crack at it, but who do you leave out?

Ins: Otto', Vardy, Hunt, Stokes, Bartel, Kelly
Outs: Motlop, Simpson, Byrnes, Gillies, Ling, Hawkins

Re: bury them

Hi guys. I know you are all thinking about the crows game but ive been talking to a few essendon supporters and had a look at the bombers forum and they are extremely confident they will beat you and not only beat you but actually belt you. I find this to be a joke and extremely disrespectful, the bombers have lost 5 in a row including a drubbing against the hawks, a team without half of there best 22 and they expect to beat the cats who havn't lost a game and look great. I only hope you absolutely belt them and stick it right up them. GO CATS!

What a little snitch!

Gillies interviewed on K-Rock yesterday after the game, indicated that from what he knew he would be in the seniors for a couple of weeks.

In fairness to Bomber he wasn't bad at playing kids through the premiership years....and a lot of other people would have backed the experience of 2 time premiership players over first year players in Duncan, Menzel and Hunt...hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Fair point, but what irked me was the fact we'd play players on reputation rather than form. Our young players more often than not would play well in the seniors, only to be dropped when a more experienced teammate came back. Wouldn't have been good for the youngster's confidence knowing that despite how well you played, you'll be back in the VFL when a more well known teammate returned from injury or suspension.

You can tell now that the likes of Menzel and Duncan are a lot more at ease now that they know that their good performances in the seniors are being rewarded by getting a game the following week.

Where and when: Etihad Stadium, Saturday, July 2, 7.10pm
Head to head: Essendon 112 wins, Geelong 90 wins, five draws
Last time: Geelong 19.11 (125) defeated Essendon 13.16 (94) at ES, June 10, 2010.
Telecast: Channel 10 (delayed)

FORM
Essendon: LLLLL
Geelong: WWWWW

Supercoach Top 6 Players -"It's your top 6 that win you matches"

Geelong
104 points – Steve Johnson
103 points – Brad Ottens
99 points – Jimmy Bartel
99 points – Paul Chapman
98 points – Corey Enright
96 points – James Kelly
*Some players rank higher but wont be playing this week

Essendon
91 points – Brent Stanton
88 points – David Zaharakis
83 points – Dyson Heppell
82 points – Ben Howlett
82 points – Patrick Ryder
82 points – David Hille
*Some players rank higher but wont be playing this week

Pay Back Is A Bitch

Cats Fans have been patiently waiting all season for this game to roll around and I wouldn’t be surprised if deep inside the bowels of Skilled Stadium there are many who have been as well. Naturally the Club will Officially say that ex-coaches Bomber Thompson and Brendan McCartney’s current employment at Essendon will have little to no bearing on how they prepare for this match. But no one will forget how dodgy the departure of ex-coach Bomber Thompson was from the Cattery at the end of 2010.

We could respect that he may have been burnt out after 10 years at Skilled Stadium, but when it was revealed he had been discussing his future employment at Essendon prior to and during Geelongs disastrous 2010 finals campaign, then one has to seriously question the integrity of the man who preached loyalty and integrity as part of his Coaching mantra. When one considers how Bomber Thompson pushed Gary Ablett away with his attitude, challenging Abletts loyalty to Geelong when he himself was acting seditiously behind the scenes, is extremely hypocritical.

But although this makes a nice by-line to the match, the reality is Bomber Thompson doesn’t play for Essendon anymore so the Cats will need to extract some revenge by beating his team and ruining their Top 8 chances for 2011. With Essendons season teetering on the brink of disaster itself, the timing for this match from Geelongs perspective couldn’t be better. Here come the Cats ready to put the final nail in Essendons 2011 campaign and they will happily do it for Bomber. Pay back is a bitch after all.

Essendon – What’s gone wrong?

The Bombers started the 2011 season with a bang. After really challenging the Pies in the 2011 NAB Cup this team, reinvigorated by new Coach James Hird and his team of million dollar men, have fallen flat in the middle of the season and are in danger of missing the finals. Unfortunately the Bombers have suffered from devastating injuries to key players but don’t really have the depth to cover those key men like Dempsey and Winderlich. Now Jobe Watson has done his hamstring and Sam Lonergan is out for the season too.

Hirds experimentation with the three big men Bellchambers, Hille and Ryder rotating ruck and forward has so far been a failure. The big man experiment has Bomber Thompson written all over it. These men are talented footballers but are struggling with the structures and not making an impact in matches. Paddy Ryder is copping serious criticism from the football media for his very poor form at present. Having watched a few matches I have to say he looks like a man not enjoying his footy at the moment. He looks disinterested and is often found standing behind play flat footed.

But this lack of intensity one sees in Ryder is also found in the whole team. Something is amiss at Bomberland and the glory train of the second coming of James Hird has derailed, and the Coach looks like a deer in the headlights when the camera crosses to the Coaches Box. Coaching is a tough gig when things go pear shaped. Something Chris Scott has yet to experience.

Geelongs Depth Is Terrific

Last Sunday was a great day not because of the win over a crappy Crows team, but they had a chance to show off the next generation of players to the AFL world. The future looks bright and hopefully these talented young players will keep the cats in the top 8 for years to come as our old warriors finish their fantastic careers. But from Essendons point of view the fact that this week will see James Kelly, Jimmy Bartel, Josh Hunt, Mathew Stokes, Darren Milburn, and Nathan Vardy return to the senior line up must be a real worry.

The question will be who to drop from the squad with Mitch Brown, Allen Christensen, Dawson Simpson and Tom Gillies showing enough last weekend to warrant staying in the Senior squad. These are selection headaches that clubs dream about.

Injuries

Essendon – Jobe Watson (3 weeks), Sam Lonergan (season), Cale Hooker (3 weeks) David Myers (3 Weeks)
Geelong: – Jimmy Bartel (test), James Kelly (test), Darren Milburn (test), Brad Ottens (test), Nathan Vardy (test) – all should be right to play.

Key Match Ups

Hille/Bellchambers/Ryder versus Ottens/Vardy Although I think the Bombers would probably prefer Ryder to play more CHF they do use him as a ruckman when required. Bellchambers is having a pretty good year as a ruckman and will be competitive against big Otto. But one can’t deny that Brad Ottens is one of the best Ruckmen in the 2011 season so far so I expect him to dominate. It is all a question of who can take the clearances. Geelong can be beaten in this area, especially with Selwood out so this gives the Bombers a chance.

Stanton versus Enright I have never known a player to be booed by his own supporters as much as this guy. Sure boo ex-players who may have left for selfish reasons, but while they are still playing in your team is weird. Stanton is one of those attacking HF types who roam the midfield as well. Enright is having a terrific season and his ability to tag out forward players is legendary. Enright with a BOG performance last weekend will be tough for the maligned Stanton next week.

Zahkarakis versus Mackie I like Zaharakis as a player he kind of reminds of Wocjinski a bit. A burst player who is dangerous and he has put in some good games. I have matched Mackie on him because I think Mackie is quick enough to keep him well covered. Macke may not look too quick due to his casual posturing at times but he can put in when he needs too.

Heppell versus Chapman/Johnson Heppell has been a decent defender this year and he may just take the role of getting our dangerous combo of half forwards as they rotate from HF to midfield. It is going to be a tough game for him with both players in great form

Howlitt versus Ling/Corey I like Ling up against Howlitt as a tagging option to keep this midfielder quiet for the game. But Joel Corey may get a run there too. I guess it all depends on how well Howlitt is playing on the day. If he needs shutting down then Ling should get the gig. If he is being largely ineffectual anyway then put Corey on him so he can run off him.

The Rub!

Last weekend Essendon had a chance to exert some presence back into the competition coming up against a depleted Hawthorn line up. But as history showed Hawthorn looked clearly a class above the Bombers even with some of their best players out. This really does not bode well for the match this week against the Cats who will come in at full strength and ready to treat their old coaches to a little punishment for their lack of honesty with the club.

Statistically Geelong averages 35 more disposals a match than Essendon and 20 more marks and scores more. So it is hard not to fancy that the Cats will continue their amazing winning run this weekend with what should be a comfortable win over a side decimated with injuries, lacking the depth to cover those injuries, and with players showing they have checked out mentally. I hope the Bombers can turn it around and be competitive against the Cats, but I doubt it.

Geelong by 55 points.

Nice work Catman,

Pretty hard to see us not wanting to smash the bombers this week given the recent history. I don't think you will see us ease off (like the Crows game) and inparticular there are a few boys in our squad who tend to react quite strongly to these sort of things...i'm looking at you Paul Chapman! Thus, with a few boys fired up and a number of young guys looking to really cement there spots i feel we are going to be going all out for 4 quarters! Given the fact we have also destroyed the bombers over the last few years it is hard to see us not thumping them.

One thing that we need to work on is our centre clearances - obviously this is aided greatly by the inclusion of Bartel and Kelly, but i feel we have still been a little below par and it would be nice to see a few midfield additions (Duncan, Taylor Hunt and Bundy) really step up and control more of the inside work....Bundy looks ready to explode, particularly in this role!

This is also the perfect time to give a little more responsibility to the kids...Vardy should have a longer spell in the ruck and certainly Bundy is cherry ripe for a full game in the guts. I am hopeful that Gillies holds his spot....really impressed with his composure this week and he will be a welcome addition to a post-milburn world.

With a tough game against the West Coast and back to back travel to Brisbane following, i hope we gather some momentum and put the top two berth beyond doubt in the coming weeks.

Great read Catman well done.

Im giving great consideration to making the trip over for this one as it's gonna be a noteworthy game and id like to be part of it.

Wow with their out's, our In's, form lines plus the conclusion to
"Bomber-gate", this could be an extremely one sided affair.

Adelaide done.

No love lost between Essendon and Geelong after the goings-on over the past twelve months.

Hopefully no mercy this week.

Agreed. Hoping we at least get Ottens, Bartel and Kelly back, and calmly and efficiently obliterate them. Love to see Menzel and Duncan kick a few goals to show Thompson why they should have played finals last year.

He should, he was very good. I think he's one of those players who plays at a certain level in the seconds but seems to step up in the seniors.
Where I have seen him exposed at VFL level is one-out where he has been outmarked or outplayed.

Thankfully he didn't find himself in many of those contests yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should, he was very good. I think he's one of those players who plays at a certain level in the seconds but seems to step up in the seniors.

He just looked very composed and slotted back there beautifully. Surprised me completely after receiving a number of pretty ordinary reports on him through the last few years. His Pace seems to be a good asset as well....would be great to give him a real test over next few weeks...particularly against the tall forwards of West Coast.

I must admit this thought has crossed my mind.

And yes, it would be very sweet.

Fair point, but what irked me was the fact we'd play players on reputation rather than form. Our young players more often than not would play well in the seniors, only to be dropped when a more experienced teammate came back. Wouldn't have been good for the youngster's confidence knowing that despite how well you played, you'll be back in the VFL when a more well known teammate returned from injury or suspension.
I think when you actually go back & break it down, you'll realise it's not quite as bad as the hysteria suggested.

Duncan got dropped off an 8 touch game, for Joel Corey - surely a first-pick type, who had 18 the next week & was good through finals.
Menzel had 10 touches & got dropped for first week of finals, along with Taylor Hunt (11 touches) and Hogan (15 touches) for Enright & Selwood - clear best side types - and Josh Hunt.

Picking JHunt over Taylor Hunt or Hogan was the only really questionable one, IMHO.

I'd argue Josh Hunt & Wojinski this year are just as much line ball decisions - although that's probably not going to be popular.

You can tell now that the likes of Menzel and Duncan are a lot more at ease now that they know that their good performances in the seniors are being rewarded by getting a game the following week.
Or - real conspiracy theory stuff here - 2nd year players have simply improved over their first years.

Who is staying in the 22

What a great position to be in. Of the players that came in last week none played really badly but I would see Christensen and Brown as certain to stay in with perhaps Simpson being kept for Eagles the following week.

If they rest anyone it will make it easier but some players are going to very unlucky.

Duncan got dropped off an 8 touch game, for Joel Corey - surely a first-pick type, who had 18 the next week & was good through finals.

There was a bunch of stuff though slats.
For instance (in regards to the quoted) Corey actually requested that he come back through the VFL.
Bomber over ruled him. And no, he didn't come good through the finals.

Yeah really good point Vinum. You notice Corey's ability to run and spread this year as compared to last year and it's clear how badly Bomber got that one wrong. Now Corey may never have come good, but he was never given the chance to build up his fitness like he knew he needed to.

The Corey incident unfortunately was indicative of Bomber's mindset that last year, as with most years, he had a best 22 in his head, and it wouldn't change if an existing player wasn't fit to play or not in good form, and if one of the kids was fit and in better form. The kids knew they were backups only and culturally that's not a good thing because they don't improve as much as they possibly can, nor do the guys above them, because they don't feel pressure for a spot.

It was noticeable that not long after Scott arrived guys like Duncan were saying they had been told that they needed to step up and take spots off these guys and put them back in the VFL. To me, shows the different mindset between the coaches. That said, the real test will come with the team Scott selects in September, and whether he sticks with the kids once all the 'soreness' and suspensions etc are no longer there.

To be fair, Bomber was good at many things, including developing kids, but he always was pretty flawed at selection. I felt that about August each year you needed to lock him in a room with some food and water when you were about to do MC, and not let him out until you'd faxed the team sheets to the AFL, unfortunately no one did.

As bad as he is he's got nothin' on Macca18. If he wasn't dropped on his head at birth he should've been.

Pure gold. I'm not even a regular visitor to this board and already a little stray Norf tin rattler has made their way in mentioning my name prior to a game that has nothing to do with their little unsuccessful basketcase of a club.

I respect Geelong. I don't respect North. Probably what's up your nose, mark73 - now go run along and play some other minnows in the hope of finishing midtable for X straight year in a row and keeping the rabble above the financial lifeline.

As for the Cats, well they are just flying at the moment... but they have for the last few years so I guess it doesn't make much difference. Duh. Another heavy loss awaits the Bombers to the hands of Geelong, who we haven't beaten since 2005 and looks like it won't be until at least 2015 until we can get close again. Seriously depressing.

EFC in a hole at the moment and certainly won't be trying to find out in this game. Cats by 15 goals. Play nice.

Yeah really good point Vinum. You notice Corey's ability to run and spread this year as compared to last year and it's clear how badly Bomber got that one wrong. Now Corey may never have come good, but he was never given the chance to build up his fitness like he knew he needed to.

The Corey incident unfortunately was indicative of Bomber's mindset that last year, as with most years, he had a best 22 in his head, and it wouldn't change if an existing player wasn't fit to play or not in good form, and if one of the kids was fit and in better form. The kids knew they were backups only and culturally that's not a good thing because they don't improve as much as they possibly can, nor do the guys above them, because they don't feel pressure for a spot.

It was noticeable that not long after Scott arrived guys like Duncan were saying they had been told that they needed to step up and take spots off these guys and put them back in the VFL. To me, shows the different mindset between the coaches. That said, the real test will come with the team Scott selects in September, and whether he sticks with the kids once all the 'soreness' and suspensions etc are no longer there.

To be fair, Bomber was good at many things, including developing kids, but he always was pretty flawed at selection. I felt that about August each year you needed to lock him in a room with some food and water when you were about to do MC, and not let him out until you'd faxed the team sheets to the AFL, unfortunately no one did.

Bomber got things wrong towards the end of 2010, there is no doubt about that....but he did have a pretty bloody good 9 years before that so whatever his judgement at the time was probably well founded and i don't think there are too many coaches in the league who would easily discard a player of Corey's ability during finals - especially if they had spent there entire coaching career with that player! Corey probably had a responsibility too to declare that he wasn't up the fitness required....difficult decision and one that we got wrong, but lets not discredit Bomber too much - he backed in his charges from early 2000 and we developed a successful culture and club. The only real reason to feel a little bit aggrieved is by the unfortunate scenario that surrounded Bombers departure - however, let bygones be bygones, we have clearly got over things as a team.

Projected changes

OUT: Motlop, Chapman, Menzel, Hawkins, Simpson

IN: Stokes, Bartel, Kelly, Vardy, Ottens

Menzel and Chapman injured/rested the others omitted

Looks about right,I'd add Stevie J to them, sure sign he's due for a rest when he starts the Allen Didak stuff.

A couple of real academy award efforts Sunday.

Surprised me Scott didn't drag him for the first one.

The only real reason to feel a little bit aggrieved is by the unfortunate scenario that surrounded Bombers departure - however, let bygones be bygones, we have clearly got over things as a team.

What he said.

This game is not about Bomber Thompson, its about the Cats playing the Bombers. Earlier in the year, I was thinking this could be something of a challenge, but Essendon are a shadow of the team they were in the early rounds. My concern is that with the performance WCE put in over Carlton, minds might be focussed on the next game rather than this one. Interesting selection dilemmas. Bring the guns back in (Bartel, Kelly, Ottens et al) or rest them a bit more for the WCE and reward the kids who acquitted themselves well on the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back