Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

Nope. I hate that excuse. Do people realise winning the premiership is actually the aim? The sole aim, in fact.

Let's take it further, does anyone have dates that each side started training? I want to see how big this gap is or if it isn't yet another bullshit excuse fans are conditioned to accept immediately.

The hypothetical late start has nothing to do with our form - that doesn't excuse lack of intensity at the ball. We just have to face facts that they haven't been up to it so far this year.

Of course you are correct, but what drives these players this year to be as fanatical as they were last year after the 2010 embarrassment. They are human and could not be as desperate to atone as they were 12m ago. Human nature. They'll get up for Haw games, maybe Carlton, Pies, WCE, but can they get up as a collective unit week after week as intensively as last year? Only need to be slightly off and we'll get beaten, notwithstanding personnel deficiencies we have.

And as you correctly say, we just haven't been up to it thus far.

Sorry DUBS just went on bigpond and there's Mackie siting on the bench 1 minute 42 to go in the half no vest bright as a button nursing the lip and the commentators saying he had been there for I think 10 minutes.

So ? He firstly went down the tunnel and got assessed. Where he sat after that for a couple of minutes is not the issue. Whatever the reason he was subbed off, they made a more formal assessment over the break.It takes time, and part of that assessment is to be observed, and maybe they decided to observe him on the bench for those few minutes. TRUST me, that's what is done at times. Unless severely concussed, he can be monitored anywhere.

I was a sitting VERY close to both benches, and here is no way we expected Mackie to emerge after 1/2 time on the ground, and that is how it panned out.

Not a lot in it but Stokes by a whisker, just a little more clever around goal by foot or a tap on to advantage.

I can live with it either way.

I'm going with Stokesy only because he's a little more physical in the contests

Sure I saw him on the bench without the vest on VEEDUBS

Good decision, he needed further assessment. Before that, it may have been an option to consider him. After their thorough further assessment, they made the correct decision.

Re: Home game finally

The guys should be pumped for this one, we CANNOT drop this one and go to 1-3, it would make it really difficult for us to make the top 4. I expect them to come out breathing fire and give the Tigers a good old thumping.

Geelong 135 - 80 Richmond

Re: Home game finally

The guys should be pumped for this one, we CANNOT drop this one and go to 1-3, it would make it really difficult for us to make the top 4. I expect them to come out breathing fire and give the Tigers a good old thumping.

Geelong 135 - 80 Richmond

Lets just put our head over the ball win a few clearances and get the 4 points.

Apart from all the obvious senior players who have been down on form, and mentioned by everyone,Kelly,after a fantastic year in 2011 was just 'good' in the GF-made uncharacteristic mistakes which did not seem to me, to be a consequence of pressure, just a little bit off for some reason- and has continued with similar form this year. I assume he can get back to that classy form and I hope it is soon.
We didn't seem to be so troubled by the late end to the season in 2008, 2009 etc -so is it just that we are tired and a combination of key players out is a bridge too far at the moment? How can we look as tired as we did against the Roo's and it is only rd 3?
I don't expect this macth to be as easily won as some of you think, but I hope you are right. Go Geelong.

Nope. I hate that excuse. Do people realise winning the premiership is actually the aim? The sole aim, in fact.

Let's take it further, does anyone have dates that each side started training? I want to see how big this gap is or if it isn't yet another bullshit excuse fans are conditioned to accept immediately.

The hypothetical late start has nothing to do with our form - that doesn't excuse lack of intensity at the ball. We just have to face facts that they haven't been up to it so far this year.

It’s not an excuse Partridge. Just a reality. Under the AFLPA agreement with the AFL players must have a break of six or eight weeks (can’t readily recall which) from their last game until they resume pre training. That gives teams who finished outside the eight the opportunity to have their players further advanced than other finals teams – particularly grand finalists – by the beginning of the fixtured season.

I appreciate pre-season training starting times vary according to when players dropped out of the squad, but the late start affects the cream. We can debate the degree of the advantage the six to eight weeks preparation some teams have over us, but I don’t think there is any debate about there being one.

Our coach has said he believes we will be better in the second half of the season. I’m guessing part of his reasoning is that by then we will have bridged the gap that the six to eight weeks of preparation provides.

BTW. Leigh Matthews has commented in the past that the later training start following his flag successes impeded his early preparation.

What does Stokes have that Byrnes doesn't? Neither are in particularly good form, at least Byrnes has genuine pace.

That he's in the 22 and lately Shan has only been on the fringes of it, therefore with Shan having a quiet game on Sunday he will probably go for Stokes.

I'd love to have Shan in the side, I'm just calling what I think will happen rather than what I want to happen.

I hope he has some good games in the vfl and gets back in as I rate his forward pressure and think it can really help the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the past two weeks Shan is gone, as far as I am concerned bring in more kids and build for the future. Will be very suprised if Shan is with us next year.

Shagga looked like a first gamer against North, relating specifically to the pace of the game.

He got caught several times from behind and his disposal was effected as a result.

He still has the pace and skill to play effectively in our 22 but clean fast disposal is a must ( mind you he had plenty of friends last week)

I know he's been hurt last year and im not giving up on him yet but life as the sub might be in his future.... although there are plenty of Schroder, Hypen, Cowan, Stringer, Motlop not to mention Kersten, Murdoch, Hamling, Eardley all eyeing his list spot.

Might be our first FA player ( hope not yet)

Go Catters.

It’s not an excuse Partridge. Just a reality. Under the AFLPA agreement with the AFL players must have a break of six or eight weeks (can’t readily recall which) from their last game until they resume pre training. That gives teams who finished outside the eight the opportunity to have their players further advanced than other finals teams – particularly grand finalists – by the beginning of the fixtured season.

I appreciate pre-season training starting times vary according to when players dropped out of the squad, but the late start affects the cream. We can debate the degree of the advantage the six to eight weeks preparation some teams have over us, but I don’t think there is any debate about there being one.

Our coach has said he believes we will be better in the second half of the season. I’m guessing part of his reasoning is that by then we will have bridged the gap that the six to eight weeks of preparation provides.

BTW. Leigh Matthews has commented in the past that the later training start following his flag successes impeded his early preparation.

You can add to that the fact that teams who aren't going to make the 8 get the players who are carrying injuries into surgery while the season is still finishing so that they are ready for tw start of pre season. Whereas finals teams keep playing these players until the very last game/final. So those players might have their surgery up to 10 weeks after other teams' players.

No excuse for the weekends effort though.

Preview

The vibe
I've witnessed many a "false dawn" down at Punt Road. We all have. This feels different to me. This group, lead by Cotchin and Martin, feels like the new breed. Tigers fans are clearing their throats. Will the purr become a roar?

Cats are trying to work out how to do it all again. Stephenson is trying admirably to fill in for the retired Ottens but Ling doesn't yet look replaceable. It took until round 15 to register the first loss last year. This year there are already two losses on the board. Will the Cats' fortunes mirror their wounded stadium? Or do the Cats have more lives yet?

Last time the Tigers beat the Cats
Round 9 2006 Kardinia Park

During the Cats' well documented annus horribilis the Tigers pulled off a stirring victory at the Cattery. To add insult to injury, Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison both played, as did Brad Ottens, the man they had replaced at Tigerland. Take THAT Geelong! Richmond were within a kick at every change before piling on 5.2 in the final quarter to Geelong's 0.9 to win by 20 points. Mathew Stokes picked up 11 possessions on debut, while Kent Kingsley impressed the Tigers' recruiting team with a dominant six possession, one behind display in his fourth last game for the Cats.

Since then, the Cats have won seven in a row against the Tiges.

Last time they played
Round 18 2011 Docklands

This match wins my award for least memorable Cats game of 2011. Nobody expected the Tigers to win. And they didn't. Geelong were up by 61 at half time, and pulled away in a riveting second half to win by 62. Allen Christensen picked up a Rising Star nomination after equalling the career high 26 disposals he'd gathered against Adelaide four rounds earlier. Chris Newman strained his PCL. Nuff said.

Key Matchups
A noticeable feature of all recent encounters is that no Richmond player ever mans up on a Geelong opponent. That being said, let's examine some theoretical duals.

Lonergan vs Vickery
Lonergan had his hands full against North's tall timber last week but should fare better against the sadly out-of-touch Vickery (should he even be selected). Vickery has taken three matches to gather as many possessions as Cotchin gathers in one half. Shannon Byrnes could do the job of minding him on current form.

Hawkins / Pods vs Rance / Grimes
These four men are arguably the form players for both sides. Hawkins has continued his form from the finals, Rance has announced himself as the defensive general in the absence of Moore, Grimes has just collected the Rising Star round three nomination (congratulations!) and Pods is in career best form (in my opinion). Having said all that, Hawkins is still yet to perform consistently throughout any home-and-away season. He has a real chance to impress at home against the younger, smaller Richmond defenders.

Best four mids
Martin, Cotchin, Foley, Deledio vs Selwood, Bartel, Kelly, Corey
Mmmmmmm! Explosive exciting up-and-comers versus quartet of triple premiership superstars.

The prediction
Richmond played very well at the Cattery in the NAB Cup this year and one of the surprising factors was kicking for goal. It was a perfect example of knowledge being dangerous. The Cats kept telling us all just how difficult kicking for goal will be at the Barwon River end, without the grandstand for cover. And then, as if to prove it, they kicked for goal like pansies.

Richmond didn't know how difficult it would be and they didn't care. They just went BANG! Check out the Riewoldt and Houli goals in the second quarter if you don't believe me. If Richmond can reproduce that sort of attitude they'll put on a good show.

Geelong, in their defence, were missing a host of premiership players, and will be keen to make amends in the first game at home in 2012 after unavailing the premiership flag.

Line betting says Geelong by 36.5 points. I'll say Geelong to win under the line. Cats by 28.

Not Sure if you are aware Tommy Hafey will be in Geelong for a Sportsmans night.
It is a RFC supporters group function, we are more than happy to accommodate Geelong supporters or any other AFL supporter.
Tommy was on BayFM this morning plugging it for us.
Sat 21st April, White Eagle House,Breakwater
$40pp includes Supper~ for further information please email Tamara geelong@rfcsupportergroup.com. There are NO door sales on the night, must be pre purchased.

+1

Richmond haven't played close to what they're capable of yet this season. And as Premiers we're going to be the team that every other team works that little bit harder against.

disagree, Richmond are a media's wetdream, they have been the sleeping giants for over 2 decades and they help sell newspapers without making finals every year.

Name me at least three quality defenders in their side?
Do they have another forward target apart from Riewoldt?
Are their rucks A class material?

Their midfield is very good but apart from that...it's only reality as to the reason why they are no where near Carlton or the other top 4 teams.

Their best football was 9 goals better than the worst team in many years last week and that kind of sums up where they are compared to the sides that will play finals footy.

Cats quite convincingly imo ;)

Name me at least three quality defenders in their side?
Their back line is functional but I think they'll struggle with the Pods/Hawkins combination. That said, North struggled to contain Pods and Hawkins but where did that get us?

Do they have another forward target apart from Riewoldt?

Not that will cause us many problems, I don't see Vickery tearing it up. Riewoldt will be hard enough to contain. Again, we handled North's marking targets last week, they weren't the issue and they weren't how they hurt us on the scoreboard.

footscore said:
Are their rucks A class material?

Maric might not be A class material but neither is West and Stephensen.

footscore said:
Cats quite convincingly imo ;)

I hope you're right.

Maric might not be A class material but neither is West and Stephensen.

I hope you're right.

I'll take West over Vickery anyday :p

I reckon we can excuse that performance last week, wasn't all that dissimilar to the preseason match against Richmond at the cattery.

I'll take West over Vickery anyday :p

I reckon we can excuse that performance last week, wasn't all that dissimilar to the preseason match against Richmond at the cattery.

except there was 4 points up for grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back