Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question.

How will everyone react if the Tigers win by 42 points?
Enquiring minds wanna know ....

Last time the Tigers beat the Cats
Round 9 2006 Kardinia Park

During the Cats' well documented annus horribilis the Tigers pulled off a stirring victory at the Cattery. To add insult to injury, Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison both played, as did Brad Ottens, the man they had replaced at Tigerland. Take THAT Geelong! Richmond were within a kick at every change before piling on 5.2 in the final quarter to Geelong's 0.9 to win by 20 points. Mathew Stokes picked up 11 possessions on debut, while Kent Kingsley impressed the Tigers' recruiting team with a dominant six possession, one behind display in his fourth last game for the Cats.

Since then, the Cats have won seven in a row against the Tiges.

Great line.

God, that was the second worst game of that horrid season, as Richmond just flooded and flooded and flooded. I can still see the beaming smile on Wallace's face as he strutted across the ground then faced the media after the game. I was hoping the AFL would put him on trial for atrocities against humanity, followed by most of our team.

I have a question.

If Mackie misses where back to Lonners,Enright and Taylor down back,Dam you Mathew Scarlett,and a mid field of one Joel Selwood,this games not in the bag.Lets see what Scott can get out of them this is as big a test for him as it is for the team.
Expect the Tigers to go hard early we must go harder and snuff out any thoughts that their in the contest,time to reassert our authority.We don't want every Tom,Dick and Harry thinking their a chance every week.

I like what Inside Footy said about the Cats.
The win loss pattern is likely to continue for most of the year but when they flick the switch they are probably still the best in the comp (not 100% quote but close enough).
I think thats dead spot on. lack of motivation/injuries/later pre-season/every team trying to take your scalp = likely more losses than we are used to BUT when they decide to turn it on they are STILL the best team going around.

If Mackie misses where back to Lonners,Enright and Taylor down back,Dam you Mathew Scarlett,and a mid field of one Joel Selwood,this games not in the bag.Lets see what Scott can get out of them this is as big a test for him as it is for the team.
Expect the Tigers to go hard early we must go harder and snuff out any thoughts that their in the contest,time to reassert our authority.We don't want every Tom,Dick and Harry thinking their a chance every week.

Agree with everything you said.

Our backline is already really depleated without Scarlett (arguably our MVP), Hunt (kick ins and ability to play on small forward) and Wojac (pace). Losing Mackie would make things even worse. Contrary to popular belief, Richmond's forward line isn't bad - Vickery has had a slow start to the season but was good last year. Nahas is quick, elusive and the sort of player we struggle to contain. And more importantly, they get plenty of goals from their midfield - something North did against us.

I'm not overly pessimistic about the loss on the weekend but make no mistake, the Richmond game is a very, very important one for us.

Great line.

God, that was the second worst game of that horrid season, as Richmond just flooded and flooded and flooded. I can still see the beaming smile on Wallace's face as he strutted across the ground then faced the media after the game. I was hoping the AFL would put him on trial for atrocities against humanity, followed by most of our team.

I remember that game. We were in with a chance at 3/4 time, but kicked something like 10 straight points in the last term and ended up losing by 20.

Was no surprise Wallace was flooding that day either, since the previous week they flooded the crap out of a red hot Adelaide the week before using basketball tactics.

I like what Inside Footy said about the Cats.
The win loss pattern is likely to continue for most of the year but when they flick the switch they are probably still the best in the comp (not 100% quote but close enough).
I think thats dead spot on. lack of motivation/injuries/later pre-season/every team trying to take your scalp = likely more losses than we are used to BUT when they decide to turn it on they are STILL the best team going around.

But a win loss pattern will not get us anywhere near the top 4. We need around 15 wins for the top 4, so we really can only afford to lose 5 more.

We need to find some consistency and quick or the season will be over by the mid year break.

You get the same 4 points for beating Hawthorn in front of 70,000 as you do beating less glamerous opponents.

For those wanting to see the pre-game training.

SATURDAY APRIL 21

Come down to Simonds Stadium on Saturday at 10am to see the mighty Cats players train. Players will take to the field from 10.45-11.45am with a family fun atmosphere, food, drinks and kids entertainment provided this is also an ideal time to purchase any items from the Cats Shop which will be open from 10am.

disagree, Richmond are a media's wetdream, they have been the sleeping giants for over 2 decades and they help sell newspapers without making finals every year.

Name me at least three quality defenders in their side?
Do they have another forward target apart from Riewoldt?
Are their rucks A class material?

Their midfield is very good but apart from that...it's only reality as to the reason why they are no where near Carlton or the other top 4 teams.

Their best football was 9 goals better than the worst team in many years last week and that kind of sums up where they are compared to the sides that will play finals footy.

Cats quite convincingly imo ;)

Rance,Grimes,Morris.

These three are gonna be great for our club in the long term.
Maybe a bit green for the older Geelong forwards but those 3 are growing in stature by the week.

Cya at the Cattery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

Just because we lost to north and people are suggesting we'll get over the line, i don't think so... maybe 45+...

Rance,Grimes,Morris.

These three are gonna be great for our club in the long term.
Maybe a bit green for the older Geelong forwards but those 3 are growing in stature by the week.

Cya at the Cattery.

Yeh maybe but those guys would only fair as well as our own VFL/new boys of Gillies, Bathie, Poodle.

If those 3 are able to hold Podsiadly, Hawkins, Johnson to a minimum of 10 goals between them...they are better than I think.
But they won't do that, I think we see between 14-16 goals between the three on Sunday.

Gladbags great preview has been posted in the OP of this thread to make it easy for everyone to find.

I reccommend a read if you have a few spare minutes, it's good stuff.

Well done Gladbags. Love the bit about Kent impressing the tigers recruiters!!!

Rance,Grimes,Morris

Then there's Batchelor, Ellis, Newman, Houli... And Astbury/Griffiths to come back in. All quite green bar Newman, but the makings of a solid backline are there, no doubt.

See you cats on Sunday.

Well done Gladbags. Love the bit about Kent impressing the tigers recruiters!!!

Haha yeah love the Kent reminder, especially given who else they had training with them at the time ;):D:thumbsu:

The 'no Richmond player ever mans up on his Geelong opponent' was good for a laugh too.:D

if mackie misses where back to lonners,enright and taylor down back,dam you mathew scarlett,and a mid field of one joel selwood,this games not in the bag.lets see what scott can get out of them this is as big a test for him as it is for the team.
Expect the tigers to go hard early we must go harder and snuff out any thoughts that their in the contest,time to reassert our authority.we don't want every tom,dick and harry thinking their a chance every week.

did not answer question ;)

+1 Our slow starts have been a problem and as reigning premiers we are going to be seriously "hunted" if a team (no matter how lowly) thinks they have *any* chance. We need to get our games starting better to show who's boss and re-establish the "natural order" of the AFL (;)). N.B. opposition trolls - the last comment is tongue in cheek and not arrogance...

I have a question.

I will probably put on the three Grand Finals and watch them and toast the end of an era with a bottle of red.

I can’t imagine I will be angry or disappointed , we have had so much success. It would be foolish to think it go on forever.

Then there's Batchelor, Ellis, Newman, Houli... And Astbury/Griffiths to come back in. All quite green bar Newman, but the makings of a solid backline are there, no doubt.

See you cats on Sunday.

well....you've certainly talked up those boys so let's see how good they perform on Sunday ;)

Yeh maybe but those guys would only fair as well as our own VFL/new boys of Gillies, Bathie, Poodle.

If those 3 are able to hold Podsiadly, Hawkins, Johnson to a minimum of 10 goals between them...they are better than I think.
But they won't do that, I think we see between 14-16 goals between the three on Sunday.

One of the silliest comments I've ever read.

Alex Rance is in AA form that's how well he's going at this minute, Grimes just won a NAB rising star nomination and towelled up Dawes the week before, whilst Morris is just as hard as they come, a similar player to Josh Hunt just maybe slightly less polished and skilled at this minute but with experience that part of his game should come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back