Review AFL Round 7 autopsy - Geelong defeats Essendon by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Mots is like a cross between Stevie J & the Roadrunner (as in "Meep Meep!!!"). He's going to have us tearing our hair out on occasion, but more often than not he'll be yet another hooped source of shock and awe for the rest of the league to envy. He can be infuriating, but he's becoming more and more spellbinding every game.

I also think that Goddard's tweet has very publicly defended Kell, & that the contact will be deemed to be to the chest. He'll thus have no case to answer.

I had expected this game to be were we stumbled. The Dons have obviously aimed to become Cats-wannabes, and some of their wins have shown plenty of flash with a core of steel. That the 'real' GFC - well, the U21 version of same - came out and played such good hard and relentless footy with a rich source of improvisational flair certainly had me gobsmacked.

I just love watching the way this team is building towards September, because as good as they are right now, they are only going to get better.

(And provided they don't rip too many votes off each other, either Dogger or Stoker could be the dark horse who sails right under everybody's radar and brings Chas Brownlow back home.)

At the ground it appeared as though Howlett was intent on punching the ball and his timing just happened to be miscued. Since the ball was so close to Lonergan's face it would've been rather difficult to try and avoid that contact with him. Doubt he was intending to do anything other than affect the spoil.

Looks to me like that's the case in the photo as well, the ball had a trajectory in line with Lonergan's face and Howlett just got there a fraction of a second late for the spoil. His eyes were clearly on the footy as well.

Little to see in the Kelly hit on Goddard either IMO. It was a fair bump and didn't collect him too high, only possible concern is that he appeared to make contact with his chest and the fact his arm flicked up slightly. Having said that if Kel goes for 3 weeks it will show how much of a crock the chook lotto MRP are in terms of delivering consistent interpretations (if they aren't enough of a shambles already).
Kelly got him high and left the ground, medium impact -he will get a week and with carry over points it will go up to 2-we just have to wear this one. I'd be more surprised if he gets off. Howlett should get off because of reasons you have outlined.

Kelly got him high and left the ground, medium impact -he will get a week and with carry over points it will go up to 2-we just have to wear this one. I'd be more surprised if he gets off. Howlett should get off because of reasons you have outlined.

It would be against all odds if Kelly got off; he ignored the ball, he charged him, his feet left the ground, he hit him hard, and there was some contact above the shoulder.
But stranger interpretations have come from the Magic Review Panel.

PS Goddard's tweet looks like a deliberate attempt to help Kelly, which was good of him, but I don't think the MRP will take it any more seriously than the old Tribunal evidence "I tripped over and my nose hit our trainer's boot your worship and I didn't retaliate I just accidentally grabbed his throat to help myself up".

WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON THE KELLY HIT?

Go to http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201301407&matchId=CD_M20130140701 and click on the last [G] 3rd Q (should start from Pod's clearing punch > Shredder's collision with Goddard). Keep an eye on Goddard from that moment... He gets up and moves to position himself for a handball receive, until the ball spilled out,.. eventually to Bundy.

At the spill Goddard turns sharply, searching for the loose ball,.. which changes Kelly's target from an intended side bump (to knock Goddard out of the contest) into a hip and shoulder straight down the middle - Too late for Goddard to steel himself or ride the bump, and too late for Kelly to avoid contact. Goddard's head did not appear to reel back from the hit, as you would imagine with high contact.

I know the MRP will jump at an opportunity to review this, but with no free paid, no blood rule, and 'thumbs-up' to the bench (after Goddard had collided with Shredder, Kel, then Heppell's leg),... geeeez Kel would be stiff to do time, imo.

Then again, it is the MRP,.. and they seem to believe that in slo-mo video replay a footballer's mind and reflexes are still operating at normal speed :(

Go to http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201301407&matchId=CD_M20130140701 and click on the last [G] 3rd Q (should start from Pod's clearing punch > Shredder's collision with Goddard). Keep an eye on Goddard from that moment... He gets up and moves to position himself for a handball receive, until the ball spilled out,.. eventually to Bundy.

At the spill Goddard turns sharply, searching for the loose ball,.. which changes Kelly's target from an intended side bump (to knock Goddard out of the contest) into a hip and shoulder straight down the middle - Too late for Goddard to steel himself or ride the bump, and too late for Kelly to avoid contact. Goddard's head did not appear to reel back from the hit, as you would imagine with high contact.

I know the MRP will jump at an opportunity to review this, but with no free paid, no blood rule, and 'thumbs-up' to the bench (after Goddard had collided with Shredder, Kel, then Heppell's leg),... geeeez Kel would be stiff to do time, imo.

Then again, it is the MRP,.. and they seem to believe that in slo-mo video replay a footballer's mind and reflexes are still operating at normal speed :(

That's the best statement I've seen of Kelly's defence.

That's the best statement I've seen of Kelly's defence.
Now I'm worried, Fred :p.

But seriously, we could argue the opposite case just as well (off the play, feet off the ground, high contact, intent, etc). I was tough on Kel in the first instance, as he tends to commit the foolish act when we need him most. But after viewing a replay I thought, penalize this type of incident and players will end up getting hurt through hesitation, or will stay off the contest,.. and both mean time out of the senior side.

Side note: Great to see Stokes on the ensuing goal assist and Billie make the correct play to goal,... and no whistle! :D

Nope you are defs wearing yr blue and white glasses here. He had other options-he's gone. It is not because the MRP are persecuting Geelong. Kelly needn't have done it. He has done it before. He got away with it once last year. Luckily it is now and he can enjoy a rest but if he does it before finals I will be cheesed off with him, not the rules.
(Although would be very happy if he got off)

Another good workmanlike performance from the Catters.

Can Corey Enright please play for another 5 years! Just love watching him glide around thwawting attack after attack with sublime decison making and evasiveness while providing his rebound attacking flair. Scotty is right; one of the best small defenders of all time.

Another awesome game from Matty Stokes. In career best form with some damaging intercepts.

Loved Motlop's game... his speed is a real weapon... likes a bit of the showboat stuff (like his brothers) and perhaps could be a bit more team-orientated and dish off when the option presents.

Great first up game from Jackson Thurlow. Ran out of puff but looks like another Wellsy diamond.

Great to see Pods down back. Fantastic judgement and athleticism from the 6'4" unit.

Nice to see Lonners pinch-hit and snare a couple up forward. The opposition must be scratching their heads with Pods, Harry and Lonners taking it in turns to run the gauntlet.

Props to Johnno, Selwood and Kelly... hard, tough and always turn up and impose themselves.

The young turks still lack consistancy from week to week with Bundy and Duncan struggling in the first half to impose themselves while the Essendon mids racked up clearances at will. Bundy seemed to get targeted a bit and copped some elbows to the head at various stages that will no doubt be conveniently overlooked by the MRP. Perhaps they slowed him down.

7 Zip... wow what a start. Given the difficulty of the early draw it looks like a top4 finish is more a probability than a possibility.

Your quote of the year!

Go Catters

A question worth asking.

Do we have a best 22 and if so, how many of our kids are in it?

I won't count West, Christensen and Duncan as kids as all three are clearly best 22 for mine.

I'd suggest Smedts and Motlop are locks now - either would have to have an extended run of poor form to be dropped.

What about Blicavs and GHS? Will GHS stay in the team when Chapman and Corey both return? Where does Caddy fit in? How will Vardy get in?

Made the point at seasons start that we are going to run a best 25-26 type scenario and play that 26 on each week's merit for the opponent and need. Add to that 26 another 4 -6 from VFL side pushing their claims. I stand by the call.

Go Catters

Just been over to the Essendon Board - bunch of sooks giving no credit to us, but oh well they will have no points after ASADA and WADA are done with them

Just been over to the Essendon Board - bunch of sooks giving no credit to us, but oh well they will have no points after ASADA and WADA are done with them

Not true at all. Just like all team boards post loss - some are irrational, some offer credit to the opposition.

Well played Cats - a very entertaining game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not true at all. Just like all team boards post loss - some are irrational, some offer credit to the opposition.

Well played Cats - a very entertaining game.

Yeah agreed. Lots of emotion flys around after losses of big games.
Some rational and others irrational, gotta just take the good with the bad.

A

I agree.

Which raises a question someone might be able to answer. If Kel gets the two weeks with carry over points and we accept, will he still have points on his record?

If so and if he challenges and gets three weeks does that clear the slate of points?

If he still has points it would be a plus if we win the challenge, or a sort of win if we lose the challenge - Kel gets a clean slate and only loses an extra game v GCS. And a reminder to think harder about the shirt fronting while he spectates as the lights go on at KP.

Yeah agreed. Lots of emotion flys around after losses of big games.
Some rational and others irrational, gotta just take the good with the bad.

Still find it irritating; "if we had've kicked more goals we would have won"... Yeah well if my aunty had a dick she'd be my uncle.

On another note, I couldn't be more excited about how Motlop is progressing. I think of him as Travis Varcoe that is able to win more of the ball - which has often been a criticism of Varcoe. No one is denying the impact he can have when he gets it, he just doesn't get it enough. While Varcoe is probably more defensively accountable, comparing the two at equivalent points in their careers I think that Motlop comes out significantly ahead. Really liked his game on Friday, even if he made a few suss decisions. We could have something special here.

Still find it irritating; "if we had've kicked more goals we would have won"... Yeah well if my aunty had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Lol gold!
But yeah I get your point, the fact of the matter is that they were under a lot more pressure than they have received all year & that equates into missed opportunities.

Same as us in the 08 GF, although I hate to admit it, the Hawks had us under enormous pressure & we missed opportunities we shouldn't have.

That's footy, the team that kicks the most goals wins.

Lol gold!
But yeah I get your point, the fact of the matter is that they were under a lot more pressure than they have received all year & that equates into missed opportunities.

Same as us in the 08 GF, although I hate to admit it, the Hawks had us under enormous pressure & we missed opportunities we shouldn't have.

That's footy, the team that kicks the most goals wins.

Thats its exactly what I've been saying to my Bombers mates (sans the 08 part)... Yeah but Jobe never misses those. What did you just see? The pressure on the ball carrier, real or perceived, is obviously a contributing factor. Been bashing my head against a wall for the last few days, its beginning to hurt, its probably time to let it go.

Kelly would have been fine if his feet had not left the ground causing the hit to be high.
2 weeks I'm afraid
Probably, but it shouldn't be. It's a contact sport, a fair attempt at a bump went high, play on. It should have been a free to Goddard - nothing more.

The AFL cares too much about soccer mums. Protecting players is good, however each player knows he is playing a contact sport when he enters the ground.

Great game by your fellas in the end. Many things were pretty even but you were just more polished. A good lesson that our players will benefit from. Looking forward to the next meeting. :thumbsu:

Hey guys (includes girls when saying that lol), I've missed you all - am catching up with Uni work, actually forgot about an assignment lol and the semester is nearly finished with another two huge assignments to do!!!

Did anyone see who Kommer bitch slapped on the interchange? A Cats player gave him a friendly push and Kommer returned and slapped him in the back! It made me lolololololly :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 7 autopsy - Geelong defeats Essendon by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back