Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to have the 4 points, and great to see Murdoch have a really good game. Some really good performances tonight, I keep loving the Blitz! I also really liked how the defensive group worked together tonight, something that's been a bit wobbly in the last few weeks. The only disappointment was Motlop (again), there's certainly a problem there. Caddy was better - and great in the 3rd quarter, but it was only against a really poor Carlton side tonight so I don't know how much we can take out of it.

The biggest plus for me was no second half fade-out!

Blic for Charlie? Just continues to excel. I suggested he was going to be the next Kouta and was laughed at. Will settle for the new Stynes..
Seriously, great performances by Blicavs, Murdoch, and Caddy.
Selwood well beaten.
Kelly- best ever performance after a ruptured testicle.
Kersten also improvement.

Opposition is as low as I've seen for some years. Yet to win in Australia this year.

You would take Gibbs and Murphy when they are playing well and Henderson and that is about it. Basically the majority of their list wouldn't get a game in any decent side.

I'd take Cripps too, but those four would be about it.

Is it true we kicked 17.4 from set shots?

Another tick.
Yeah something like that. Us vs Carlton at the Dome brings out the best in us.

I remember we kicked 22.4 (?) against them in 2006. Matt McCarthy kicked 5 or 6.

7 clearances to Blitz, too!

Not bad for someone who some people thought would be snapped in half in his first game.

That thread in the Bay is a gift that keeps on giving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take: beating Carlton is extremely enjoyable.

Did you used to pull the wings of Butterflies as a kid Jester?

To me its less enjoyable... more just doing what has to be done. Was it a message to Carlton "Sorry we owe you heap" , no I don't get that feeling atm , this is not about that , its about just being professional. Not personal just business

Can't carried away given how poor Carlton were, but good to see so many youngsters play well. Maybe a slight exaggeration but I thought Thurlow was outstanding, and Bews' growing confidence is hugely encouraging. Surprised Jed only had 7 touches; thought his willingness to attack contests forward of centre was really noticeable. Certainly has the athleticism to be an attacking player, just needs to find more of the ball. Murdoch had career highs blah blah but again what was encouraging was his willingness to drop the eyes and spot up short targets. Kersten had a much better game - his defensive work in particular. Guthrie also showed that he is a class player - just needs to start consistently finding the ball. A lot of people saw regenerating the defence as a massive concern entering the season; if we finish Round 22 with Bews, Thurlow and Guthrie all playing as defenders I think the problem will be half solved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back