and to put up or shut up, this is the team I would go for

FB: Enright, Scarlett, Gibson
HB: McLoud, Rance, Murphy
C: Buckley, Voss, Cousins
HF: Dangerfield, Franklin, Martin
FF: Betts, Hawkins, Akermanis
FOLL: Gawn, Judd, Ablett
Int: Goodes, Fyfe, Rioli, Bontempelli

though in truth I am not sure about Buckley and Voss only because I am not sure they are 21st century players or 20th century players, but other than that this team feels like a better balance for me.

Also I will say straight away I desperately want to put Nick Smith in that team, desperately, but I won't as I suspect that is bias on my part, but he really was an exceptional small defender who could and would shut down every small forward in the league week in week out. It feels wrong he only got 1 All Australian and in truth I am struggling to think of a better small defender, but that could just be me forgetting someone obvious.

Murphy over Hodge? Really? 😬

Murphy over Hodge? Really? 😬

Yep very much so as while Hodge may be the better player than Murphy in that exact position I wanted a running half back, someone who could launch attacks from defence and I think for that Murphy is better than Hodge.

It is why I included Hawkins too as while Hawkins is probably not the second best key forward of the 21st century I think of all the options Hawkins would work best with Buddy as Hawkins can be the stay at home forward and Buddy can be the running forward.

When creating my team I was thinking "what would be the best team, what players would work best together in an actual team". I am fine with people disagreeing with that though, it was just my philosophy when making the best 22.

Yep very much so as while Hodge may be the better player than Murphy in that exact position I wanted a running half back, someone who could launch attacks from defence and I think for that Murphy is better than Hodge.

It is why I included Hawkins too as while Hawkins is probably not the second best key forward of the 21st century I think of all the options Hawkins would work best with Buddy as Hawkins can be the stay at home forward and Buddy can be the running forward.

When creating my team I was thinking "what would be the best team, what players would work best together in an actual team". I am fine with people disagreeing with that though, it was just my philosophy when making the best 22.
Who is the second best Kpp of the 21st century then? Lloyd? N Reiwoldt? Pav? I think it’s pretty hard to split that next line.

Mine would be:

Enright - Scarlett - Johnson
Hodge - Rance - McLeod
Judd - Mitchell - cousins
Franklin - Riewoldt - Akermanis
Rioli - Hawkins - Martin

Cox - Ablett - black

Danger - Hayes - pav - pendlebury

Stiff - Goodes, Betts, cotchin, s Johnson, gawn

Will get there with more time - Bont, petracca, Oliver?

Mine would be:

Enright - Scarlett - Johnson
Hodge - Rance - McLeod
Judd - Mitchell - cousins
Franklin - Riewoldt - Akermanis
Rioli - Hawkins - Martin

Cox - Ablett - black

Danger - Hayes - pav - pendlebury

Stiff - Goodes, Betts, cotchin, s Johnson, gawn

Will get there with more time - Bont, petracca, Oliver?

Which Riewoldt out of interest? I am guessing Nick given you are a Saints fan but thought I would ask to be sure.

Also out of interest, for people who know more than me, has 3 key forwards in the same forward line ever really worked? Were their state of origin games back in the 90's where it worked?

The games I have seen, when teams have tried it, even in the few state of origin games that have been played the last 20 years it just does not seem to work as the forward line becomes too top heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which Riewoldt out of interest? I am guessing Nick given you are a Saints fan but thought I would ask to be sure.
Yes Nick.

I don't think it's a biased selection. I don't think there was too much between them in the end but for CHF I think Nick had him covered. FF I'd have gone jack but I agree with you that I think Hawkins has been the best or better pure FF

Not that I want to hang you for your opinion but out of interest what is your best 22 of the 21st century? Mine was somewhat different to the OP's simply because of how I like to structure a side.

FB: Enright - Scarlett - McGovern

HB: McLeod - Rance - Hodge

C: Judd - GAJ - Voss

HF: Dusty - Buddy - S Johnson

FF: Betts - M Lloyd - Aker

FOLL: D Cox - Buckley - Danger

INT: Nic Nat - Goodes - Pav - Fyfe

I went for 2 Ruckmen, 2 “Big Forwards” and 2 Utilities.

FB: Enright - Scarlett - McGovern

HB: McLeod - Rance - Hodge

C: Judd - GAJ - Voss

HF: Dusty - Buddy - S Johnson

FF: Betts - M Lloyd - Aker

FOLL: D Cox - Buckley - Danger

INT: Nic Nat - Goodes - Pav - Fyfe

I went for 2 Ruckmen, 2 “Big Forwards” and 2 Utilities.

While I don't agree with all of your choices selection wise (I agree with most of it) I do like the general balance of that team more than I do the OP's team. I prefer only having 2 key forwards in the main 18 and adding a smaller forward along with it.

That is how I'd start that team. Perfect choices somehow.

The great thing about Goodes and Pavlich is any injury you have during the game can be plugged by one of those two. Other than small defender or small forward combined both of them could play in any position on the ground. Provides a tonne of flexibility.

The great thing about Goodes and Pavlich is any injury you have during the game can be plugged by one of those two. Other than small defender or small forward combined both of them could play in any position on the ground. Provides a tonne of flexibility.
And small forwards are covered anyway because most teams will have enough guys like Ablett, Martin, Dangerfield, Judd in their midfield rotation who can cover that position.

Yes, I think Nic Nat at his best is the best ruckman the game as seen. Athletic freak of nature. Injuries cut him down unfortunately.
It’s not done on what they could of been though, Nic Nat is the Dominique Wilkins or Shawn Kemp, Human highlight reel but Gawn is like a Tim Duncan an all time great. 10 years of being close on the best in his position and a premiership captain, he can produce 30 possesion games 12 mark games and 5 goal games as well as being dominant in the ruck.

Nic Nat top marks in a game 6 pretty pathetic effort for his size and athleticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back