Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Browne saying we’re leading the race for McKay and that we’ve offered him a 5/6 year deal.

Hopefully not 6 years or Parish will be filthy 😂
I legit think offering Mckay a bigger deal than some of our best players could put some noses out of joint.

Hopefully Parish et al are mature enough to deal with it.

twitch eye GIF

Tom Browne saying we’re leading the race for McKay and that we’ve offered him a 5/6 year deal.

The way the Herald Sun article was worded it'd be 750k per year over 3, but if the competition for his signature lead to a longer term deal over 5 years, then North may not get Band 1 compensation as the average base wage would be lower (which implies that over 5 years it'd be less than ~700k per year).

If Parish wants to be jealous of a 6 year deal on 680k per year then he's a bit of a nuff lol

i think it depends how many crocodiles are biting at him, if there's more than 3-4 clubs, then we'll have to offer higher, but if it's only 1-2 then we can keep rising.

i think with BZT leaving, mckay likely coming and (hopefully) baldwin resigning and entering into consistent form, our defense might look better than this past season with a fit ridley, redman etc.

Last year McStay signed a 5 year deal at 600k a season. In that context it’s a bargain

I hope we miss on McKay.

I would rather just give his 22 matches to some combination Baldwin/Reid/Cox/Hayes. We arent winning anything next year, and we need to find out whether some combination of two of them (plus Ridley) can be the backbone of a functioning backline.

Paying 750k a year for 5/6 years worth for McKay just seems like poor list management overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the bombers are aiming for Josh sinn for bzt. I think we would be a good place for him to further his career and has really struggled for a game.

I hope the bombers are aiming for Josh sinn for bzt. I think we would be a good place for him to further his career and has really struggled for a game.
The concept of Josh Sinn is great. Explosive half back, high upside, super quick. But those benefits erode when you see he’s been battling OP and hamstring issues the last two years, and even had issues his draft year.

I hope we miss on McKay.

I would rather just give his 22 matches to some combination Baldwin/Reid/Cox/Hayes. We arent winning anything next year, and we need to find out whether some combination of two of them (plus Ridley) can be the backbone of a functioning backline.

Paying 750k a year for 5/6 years worth for McKay just seems like poor list management overall.
I feel like we are onto a winner in Hayes. That frame is going to fill out and I reckon he could improve rapidly next season

I hope we miss on McKay.

I don't think McKay precludes the others playing / developing.

Ridley and Cox playing more loose roles alongside two of McKay / Hayes / Reid / Baldwin.

Cox is unlikely to ever hold down a KPP role, Reid has had a lot of issues with his body. It could easily be Hayes / Baldwin / McKay competing for those 2 KPD roles alongside more mobile guys like Ridley & Cox.

Also, we need strong runners. Is not Dylan Stephens one of those. Has an excellent skill set

Don’t think we would be offering a 4 year deal for someone who might not be in the 22

This.

Missing on a fringe best 22 player to North isn't necessarily an indication Essendon 'failed' somehow. We're not entitled to just 'get' every player we want because Essendon, sometimes a player will go "hmm North's list has pretty limited competition for me, I'll go there and play every game."

The concept of Josh Sinn is great. Explosive half back, high upside, super quick. But those benefits erode when you see he’s been battling OP and hamstring issues the last two years, and even had issues his draft year.

Did not realise how bad the situation with Sinn's body is.

I'd probably still take the risk.

I don't rate BZT and doubt Port will value him as more than a 3rd round pick.

If I'm faced with the risk and reward of Sinn for a 3rd round pick, I'd take Sinn. What's the likelihood that we can use that pick to target a fit for the list as good as Sinn? It seems pretty low to me.

We've had success rehabbing OP, fixing Joe for Brisbane and getting Stewart back so that he could ruin other parts of his body. We got Caldwell from the point that he played about 20 games in 5 years to 41 games in the last 2. Baldwin has been durable after consecutive knee recos. I don't balme our people for Reid and Cox. Those are fragile rigs that are prone to growing pains.

But if it was for a pick in the early-to-mid 20s, which is what people seem to be speculating about here, a pipe dream in my view, I'd probably just take the pick. It's high enough to target a needs based player or to use to deal for better picks.

Last edited:
I’d take the risk on Sinns body over a late 30s pick in this draft. There’s some serious upside if we can get him right and his skillset is exactly what we need

Last edited:
With Stewart gone, Jones' body unreliable, and Weid being Weid, Buku Khamis could be worth a looking at. Apparently kicked a lot of VFL goals.
VFL watchers?
Not really a key forward if that’s what you mean. More of a third tall type that uses his athleticism but doesn’t have great leading patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back