Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you imagine winning a premiership and having to imagine what the colours look like on the television. 😆

Not only that, but Baldock and most of the other players are wearing black and white stripes in their premiership photos hahahaha

its more the cap space. Shiel is the lever to do it.

think about a la Bowes.
Bowes was on 800p.a for 2 years. for freeing that up @ GCS, the cats got pick 7.
that they flattened it out muddies it a bit, but the afl have sorted that i believe.

GCS get 800k cap space
Cats get 7
Bowes/F4 makeweight required as cap trading wasn't on the cards last year.

IF (big if) the AFL allows direct transfer of cap space, we'd be doing similar
St Kilda "buy" cap space with 13.
Shiel may or may not be part of this. they may be keen and rather than take another pick off them, we trade the space and Shiel for 13 vs. the space for 13 and Shiel for a 3rd/4th rd pick.

they use the space to pay Shiel for a year. then if they want to re-sign him beyond '24 that's a new negotiation.
the cap space remains however for as long as we sold it to them for.

Assume the fact this is still grey is the afl and clubs are still ironing out this cap space for picks proposal.
No way the AFL would allow a pure cap space transfer.

Bowes was using an existing contract the Suns wanted off their books trade some cap space with an existing contract pick 7 to make that work, and I doubt the Saints nor we are that tight with cap space currently.

I think at least with current rules this is a bridge too far. Nor do I really think the Saints really get the benefit out of it.when I don't feel like they are running that close to the cap.

No way the AFL would allow a pure cap space transfer.

Bowes was using an existing contract the Suns wanted off their books trade some cap space with an existing contract pick 7 to make that work, and I doubt the Saints nor we are that tight with cap space currently.

I think at least with current rules this is a bridge too far. Nor do I really think the Saints really get the benefit out of it.when I don't feel like they are running that close to the cap.
its been mentioned on afl.com.au a few times.
im keen to see how this week unfolds now.

it sounds like we're at the front of queue with the hawks pushing this.
this Gresham deal only makes sense on that front.

its been mentioned on afl.com.au a few times.
im keen to see how this week unfolds now.

it sounds like we're at the front of queue with the hawks pushing this.
this Gresham deal only makes sense on that front.
I don't think they are talking trading cap space outside of a contract. Cal was indicating to me a form of we'd pay some or a large % of Sheil contract to go do the Saints in exchange for pick 13. I think just giving up Gresh is too big a price for the Saints with Sheils age. Bowes involved an existing contract, Grundy an existing contract. IMO not a chance the AFL allows the with the current rules. There is plenty of talk the AFL will bring it in soon. But thats IMO way out of the questioin for now

Where I think something works is
Ess In: Gresh 13 (
Ess Out: 28, Sheil and some of Sheils contract paid by us. We're basicly giving him away for free Saints get around the pick they would have for Gresh at his 'expected' range

Saints in: Sheil. 28
Saints Out: Gresh

I don't think they are talking trading cap space outside of a contract. Cal was indicating to me a form of we'd pay some or a large % of Sheil contract to go do the Saints in exchange for pick 13. I think just giving up Gresh is too big a price for the Saints with Sheils age. Bowes involved an existing contract, Grundy an existing contract. IMO not a chance the AFL allows the with the current rules. There is plenty of talk the AFL will bring it in soon. But thats IMO way out of the questioin for now

Ess Out: 28, Sheil and some of Sheils contract paid by us. We're basicly giving him away for free Saints get around the pick they would have for Gresh at his 'expected' range

I can’t see it working any other way either.

i'd have to find the piece (Cal may have written it, but it was a while ago) that pure cap space trading was being discussed.
whether it's got legs, i have zero idea.

or has it morphed into a "controlled" Bowes type deal where the cap space is traded via picking up a contract

We'd paying all of his contract to get that pick. Which I have no issue with but that's what it would take. I still don't see it happening.

Yep.

And i'm still skeptical pick 13 will become a thing in all of this. I'm sure its been talked about an an option.

Just anything else I've seen is too one sided. Us overpaying Gresh to trigger a band 1 pick for not to get anything in trtu
If it’s not pick 13 I wonder whether we’d even want to do it. Pick 19 will be pushed back pretty bloody far.

We'd paying all of his contract to get that pick. Which I have no issue with but that's what it would take. I still don't see it happening.
Yeah tbh, I really don't see it happening either. But the only way I see it really working
i'd have to find the piece (Cal may have written it, but it was a while ago) that pure cap space trading was being discussed.
whether it's got legs, i have zero idea.

or has it morphed into a "controlled" Bowes type deal where the cap space is traded via picking up a contract
There is talk about allowing it in the future but that has not been allowed yet.

I think as far as I've seen its morphed from trading cap space for picking up a contract and using contracts as a way to do it rather than just trading space on its own/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the Gresham/Shiel deal gets done early so we can stop all the speculation. Dodo will ensure it doesn’t
I doubt it happens tbh.

I don't see St Kilda wanting to give up that compensation pick. I know it only gets created if we overpay but I just can't see them giving up that asset.

I doubt it happens tbh.

I don't see St Kilda wanting to give up that compensation pick. I know it only gets created if we overpay but I just can't see them giving up that asset.
I tend to agree. But I see zero benefit in us paying him in the range of $750k for no benefit. If he was elite player no doubt. Maybe it will happen that way, i'm just not sure what sense it makes for us.

And considering how long we drew out the Parish contract wher one side of the other could have given up something.

Apparently north are going to package up all their assistance picks and give them to Gc for pick 4
Try to snare an assistance pick for points? I think we should be trying to turn our middle picks into higher picks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back