Aker an Asset

Remove this Banner Ad

Infamy said:
Anyone who associates Aka with players like Gardiner & Zantuck is a fool

Aka deserves to be mentioned in that company. It doesn't matter what their 'offence' is whether it be drinking, partying, or speaking out. They are all guilty of exactly the same crime ... putting themselves above the team. That is cancer in team sports.

Infamy said:
Anyone who associates Aka with players like Gardiner & Zantuck is a fool
Aker is a gun, would love to have him play with the Tigers, from memory he was even a Tigers supporter growing up, but I just know it'll cost the club too much to get him and we already have enough flankers.

Thats exactly right, brisbane would want someone really promising like P.bowden or deledio are the tigers really up to give sum1 away that valuable, honestly aker is a gun, but he is also a smart-a s s and to cocky, the tigers dont really need him, He would be better at St. Kilda or Melbourne

BIGirish said:
Thats exactly right, brisbane would want someone really promising like P.bowden or deledio are the tigers really up to give sum1 away that valuable, honestly aker is a gun, but he is also a smart-a s s and to cocky, the tigers dont really need him, He would be better at St. Kilda or Melbourne
Brisbane would want more than just a straight swap for Paddy and we would not even consider a straight swap for Lids. They would be wanting something like Pettifer and a high 2nd round pick or somewhere in that ballpark. Akermanis won't end up at Richmond.

Weaver said:
Aka deserves to be mentioned in that company. It doesn't matter what their 'offence' is whether it be drinking, partying, or speaking out. They are all guilty of exactly the same crime ... putting themselves above the team. That is cancer in team sports.
Give me a break! Akers "crime" was closer to the Hartigan roll-stealing end of the scale than the strife Gardiner gets himself into. Aker is being made to pay for personality clashes with Matthews and Voss. Maybe that's enough reason to clear him to another side, but not reason to drop him from the team and crucify him in the press like Matthews has been doing.

Weaver said:
Aker is Leigh's scapegoat and if anything Leigh looks to be trying to push Aker out of the club. I would suggest that he sees Aker as their best potential trade-bait seeing as he won't be around the next time the Lions are competitive. In such a strong draft he wants to pick up draft picks so Aker is getting punished for answering questions candidly.

Agree both with you Crummy and Infamy :thumbsu:

Another point that is missing in this, is that Aker has been great for footy up there. I'm sure, just with his little handstands, would have brought a few people through the gates, let alone his footy ability. People luv that stuff.

There's gotta be some room for personalities in this game. You don't have to like them, like you don't have to like ppl on here for their opinions and such, but surely we're entitled to say what we think.

Aker's been saying what he thinks for a long time now - what's changed isn't Aker, but Brisbane itself. Placing the blame entirely on him for just being himself is totally unfair. If it's good enough in the good times, it's good enough in the hard times.

As ppl have said, the fact he's had to supplement his income by doing media, and beign loyal and staying with Brisbane when he could have gone elsewhere for more money has got to count for something.

I luv him, and would have luved to have had him at the Tigers, but not now because there's really no need for him. We could take him, but we'd get no premiership returns as a result, and may have missed some kid coming through who would go for 10 years.

I think Leigh Matthews is a great coach, but he's let himself down by passing the buck onto Aker. Every team will have it's cycles of bad form due to the nature of the system. If he felt so strongly about Aker's behaviour, why in the hell didn't he get rid of him years ago.

pantsdown said:
Wont happen;) , but there could be someone else that will slot in nicely into our backline next year.:thumbsu:
Hopefully not Mal Michael. Aker has heaps more footy left in him than Michael.

froars said:
Agree both with you Crummy and Infamy :thumbsu:

Another point that is missing in this, is that Aker has been great for footy up there. I'm sure, just with his little handstands, would have brought a few people through the gates, let alone his footy ability. People luv that stuff.

There's gotta be some room for personalities in this game. You don't have to like them, like you don't have to like ppl on here for their opinions and such, but surely we're entitled to say what we think.

Aker's been saying what he thinks for a long time now - what's changed isn't Aker, but Brisbane itself. Placing the blame entirely on him for just being himself is totally unfair. If it's good enough in the good times, it's good enough in the hard times.

As ppl have said, the fact he's had to supplement his income by doing media, and beign loyal and staying with Brisbane when he could have gone elsewhere for more money has got to count for something.

I luv him, and would have luved to have had him at the Tigers, but not now because there's really no need for him. We could take him, but we'd get no premiership returns as a result, and may have missed some kid coming through who would go for 10 years.

I think Leigh Matthews is a great coach, but he's let himself down by passing the buck onto Aker. Every team will have it's cycles of bad form due to the nature of the system. If he felt so strongly about Aker's behaviour, why in the hell didn't he get rid of him years ago.
spot on :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we arent gonna win flag in next two years (realistically)....and this is how long aker will play for....so why waste a spot on him when a longer term player from draft will potentially provide better service. great player but not right for where we should be heading.

CoggaRules said:
yeah but TW isnt as stupid as a few here i guess. ;)
Great observation Cogga but the few should read many. Aker will provide at least another 4 years of great service and invaluable experience and advice for the younger guys. Good to see TW bring Brownie down a peg too.

On Nine news tonight Tony Jones reported that Richmond and the Bulldogs are the front runners for Akermanis and that Greg Miller had flown to Brisbane 3 weeks ago to talk to Aker.

tomthetiger said:
Ill be happy to have him at Richmond at the cost of our first pick, however id rather it at a slightly lower cost ;) And he'd have to play his bloody best too.

glad you don't hold the cards TT have you forgotten the fella is 30 next year,,,anyway the Prez has spoken nand declared him off limits so thats the final word:cool:

Can anyone tell me what the club would achieve in getting Aker. What would be the goal in such a move? A premiership? Not based on one ageing player I wouldn't think. Get a thrill from watching him kick a miraculous goal here and there? A couple of handstands at the end of a game?

He is not the long term future of the club. Those who want him are all thinking like Frawley - thinking we're one player away from a premiership and we'll go and get another Hudson and that will be the miracle we need. I just don't understand the mentality when you could go for someone more long term who'll be there in a couple of years when we will see success. I'd luv him, but not at the expense of long term planning for a long term successful era. If Terry is true to his word about a decade of success, this would be the wrong way of going about it IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aker an Asset

Remove this Banner Ad

Back