Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The playing group is much better than whatever it was they served up on the weekend, we've seen it with our own eyes.
IMO, the main issue is that some of the playing group are still not mentally tough enough to fight it out consistently and they don’t hate losing enough! It only takes a handful of that type to have a major impact on the team and result. We need more players on our list who despise losing at their core and more players on our list who hold the players accountable who are not putting in a 100% of the time, on and off the field. A few more ‘never give up’ types will make a massive difference. Overall, it’s on the players!

Since the mid year break we've improved in some areas but obviously big problems still exist. We got better at:

• contested ball and loose ball gets both of which we were losing badly in the first half
  • pressure - allowing us to force turnovers up the ground (which are generally the easiest scenarios to score from);
  • not allowing the opposition to take so many contested and intercept marks;
  • taking more intercept marks ourselves;
  • using the first possession from a clearance well when the opposition pressure rating was average or low
  • using the ball better in general when the opposition pressure rating was average or low.

However, big problems have persisted even taking out the Sydney and WB thrashings:

- when the opposition lift their pressure rating at stoppages we are very poor with our first possession from a clearance and often turn it over. Our mids often try to do too much in these situations and don't work together (playing hero ball) instead of taking the secondary ball up. It's a big, big problem and Clarko mentions it at press conferences. We get scored on heavily from these first possession turnovers - the opposition take it out the front. Our established midfielders should be doing much better at this.

- when the opposition lift their pressure rating our disposal in general drops off significantly, lacks composure, we kick without looking and so games are played 60-70% in our back half and we lose the inside 50s virtually every week. Sheezel is the exception - he deals with pressure well. Powell too but despite his class, he goes missing way too much (he had zero centre clearances from 22 CBAs on Sunday).

- our backs often ignore good leads from mids trying to connect - Sheezel runs to great spots, is regularly ignored, has to U-turn as the ball is kicked long to a contest where we're outnumbered because mids were presenting. Part of this is due to backs lacking confidence in their kicking because they're not great kicks.

- on the flipside, some of our mids regularly present to poor areas - token leads, or they just stop leading at all, it gets kicked long, turnover, and the game is played in our back half.

- we have low quality/very inexperienced small forwards on our list and so don't play them (Hansen has shown a bit but we are miles behind good sides who play 3 or even 4). Those good sides have invested far more in these quality small forwards, play them and they create repeat entries and kick crumbing goals. Clarko has had no choice but to play too many 189cm forwards and so we cant win the ball at ground level, get killed off the opposition's half back and again, the ball spends 70% of the time in our defensive half.

Clarko and Viney will need to go some way to fixing these problems in '25 one way or another. Much prefer ruthless Clarko backing his footy instincts and making tough decisions to fix these longstanding, chronic issues. If that upsets a few people, so be it.

Last edited:

Have to find a place for the above informant in terms of the quality of his oil.

Roosteve: Knows jack shit

KIA34: Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit

Roo316's mate's mate: ????

Have to find a place for the above informant in terms of the quality of his oil.

Roosteve: Knows jack shit

KIA34: Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit

Roo316's mate's mate: ????
Yeh **** my bad it’s another hawthorn great false alarm.
Still don't know whether to put him above or below Roosteve. Ask him if LDU has signed yet

yeh I didn’t believe it either as u can see by my messages, but as if I’m not gonna post it. Ohhh zoomba u didn’t believe me about jhf either when I was proven 100% correct so sit down.

yeh I didn’t believe it either as u can see by my messages, but as if I’m not gonna post it. Ohhh zoomba u didn’t believe me about jhf either when I was proven 100% correct so sit down.
I thought JHF was a fair chance of being gone by 3/4 through the season that year, mate. And his thread will prove it. Anyway, I'm not having a go at you. It's your mate, or your mate's mate, who's to blame. Relax

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite the contrary as Ron used to say “give me stats and I will shut up” . Here’s looking at you Colby Mckercher who decided to only get 24 disposals and stop half way through the last quarter and miss out on the elusive 25th. What were u thinking son lol

Dont give me stats. Have you been watching? The boys are buying in. I could not give a fk about these last 2 games.
lol - the boys are buying in - 'have you been watching'?

It's people like you that are taking the piss out of the club with posts like this - you don't have the credibility to be even called a supporter when you post shite like that.

lol - the boys are buying in - 'have you been watching'?

It's people like you that are taking the piss out of the club with posts like this - you don't have the credibility to be even called a supporter when you post shite like that.

Out of interest, what does give one credibility to be called a supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back