Injury All things COVID-19 - including the impact on Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve seen high level data saying August will be the peak month for infections in Australia. If that’s correct, the season is pretty cactus. I can’t see it starting this week. Really think that there has to be some fancy finance work done to see if not playing at all will mean all clubs may survive financially in the long term, as I am a bit worried a half in/ out season cut down but with big costs and little revenue could grind some clubs out for ever.
The virus is more rampant in colder weather so July August
From what I understand teams may be playing multiple games per week, or on very short breaks, so less game time to compensate.
Exactly the case.
80 minute games- I welcome that as well.Better for players and supporters.

Yeah, people will have different views for me it's bittersweet I haven't even looked at the sides for tomorrow.

Personally I'm getting no pleasure or enjoyment out of Geelong playing. Or games with empty stadiums.

I don't understand once in a lifetime or 100 year event Australians only people to send teams travelling around the country to tackle each other.

Then again just depends on your mindset if you value it as part of your life for me it's just a game and so many bigger things going on right now I just don't like the risk profile or don't see a point to it with such an uncertain future.

It's also the public ramifications I don't like media if an AFL player tests positive for Covid it will be plastered everywhere in our face 24/7. And it ripples through communities because people idolise players kids everyone. So I can see scenarios where it sends even more panic through communities.

Players self isolating from partners, No VFL, State, Bushleague footy but this show can go on. When footy is on and the public can't play it's in your blood makes you want to go outside and kick and play even more. So I'm not sure if it sends a good or bad message to the community.

The good is I suppose and the club support staff stay employed.

I'm not worried about the AFL or Players, Club coaches at senior level who get paid generously.

I just feel uncomfortable about it best way to say it, yeah I get it the fanatics and footy lovers will always push for it and say it's in our blood and culture we need it etc.

I just look at what the world is going through preventive measures others are taking and shrug my shoulders
I agree. I will watch the match because if it's on then why not. Low viewership numbers will not suddenly make them change their decision in any case. However the decision to go ahead I think is an unwise one and if everyone gets through unscathed, it will be because of good fortune rather than good management.

I reckon its a great idea. Kudo's to AFL for their decisions. Smart choices.
Plus it probably favours teams with aging stars and odd ground dimensions ! :)
Yeah I like the idea. This could be the future of the game we are looking at! Shortened quarters/faster pace games. Different fixture ideas. Will be interesting!

Exactly the case.
16 minute quarters we will get soccer looking score boards our game doesn't open up until sides are buggered,this is a defensive coaches dream,not sure that's great for the game over all.

Medical updates across Geelong & Victoria (from various sources):

The city’s former Geelong Private Hospital will be recommissioned and used to fight the spread of coronavirus.

The State Government this morning announced it would recommission the central Geelong site to create extra consulting rooms and greater COVID-19 virus clinic capacity.

Another 84 beds will be brought online at the old Peter Mac Hospital in Melbourne, with further 45 beds at Bendigo Health.

Other Victoria wide investments include:

– $107 million to buy lifesaving equipment, including high flow oxygen therapy units for patients in acute respiratory failure, 130 dialysis machines and 1,200 patient monitors.

– An extra $22 million of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – including 275 million pairs of gloves, 8.6 million face masks, and 1.7 million gowns.

– A further $97 million will also be set aside to backfill the healthcare workforce in the event that staff need to self-isolate through exposure or infection.

16 minute quarters we will get soccer looking score boards our game doesn't open up until sides are buggered,this is a defensive coaches dream,not sure that's great for the game over all.
You can't be sure about any of that. I think we could thrive with our list.

It's one outcome , another might be that because the coaches know they have less time they are more aggressive and less worried about protecting the scoreboard.

I doubt we will see much change at the start, the have trained all summer and will play that way at the start.

This is shaping up to be the most fascinating round of football in our lifetimes.

It's weird. I was born in 1996, and I was thinking maybe about 4 months ago, what is my generation's historical moment that we will be talking about for years to come going to be?

I mean, I was obviously way too young to be around for things like JFK and the moon landings. I was a baby when Princess Diana died and 9/11 is just such a vague memory to me that I was way too young to understand.

Well, this corona virus is definitely it for my generation. I feel like this is the stuff we will be talking about to our grandkids, and the impacts of this on society in the long term could honestly be like what 9/11 was to air travel.

Just crazy. I feel like I'm watching history unfold in front of me. I don't know if I worded that as elequoently as I'd liked, but it's just something that's been on my mind this week.

Exactly the case.

Thru circumstances a few changes will happen this season that will give several their dream modifications ...shorter quarters. 17 games , floating fixture, wild card finals could all show themselves. Once the door is open , can one close it again? The players would love 17 games as long as they keep the same money and a few extra finals.. Im not sure how that works for justifying stadium rebuilds. Just at Geelong it would mean 2 less home games a year. What does it do to the talk of Tassy. Id have like them to try 16 a side but I guess that was too radical on top of everything else.

Im not sure it is better for all but at least will get a chance to see it instead of just theories.

Thru circumstances a few changes will happen this season that will give several their dream modifications ...shorter quarters. 17 games , floating fixture, wild card finals could all show themselves. Once the door is open , can one close it again? The players would love 17 games as long as they keep the same money and a few extra finals.. Im not sure how that works for justifying stadium rebuilds. Just at Geelong it would mean 2 less home games a year. What does it do to the talk of Tassy. Id have like them to try 16 a side but I guess that was too radical on top of everything else.

Im not sure it is better for all but at least will get a chance to see it instead of just theories.
Yeah I would like 16 a team to be tried during the season! I think it’s exciting to look at all the possibilities this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I would like 16 a team to be tried during the season! I think it’s exciting to look at all the possibilities this year.

As I was saying in the other post , all these changes will enable Scott to have a flexible opinion on if the side is better this year or not , wins or not.. and excuses if the w/l column is looking red.

Id say the most obvious thing the afl should be trying to implemement is financial buffering. IF mid week ratings are worth more money then with no crowds..a game should be on every night mid week to try and balance the losses

will the football be better etc.. know one really knows so its a chance to see something we normally would not get to see.

This is shaping up to be the most fascinating round of football in our lifetimes.

It's weird. I was born in 1996, and I was thinking maybe about 4 months ago, what is my generation's historical moment that we will be talking about for years to come going to be?

I mean, I was obviously way too young to be around for things like JFK and the moon landings. I was a baby when Princess Diana died and 9/11 is just such a vague memory to me that I was way too young to understand.

Well, this corona virus is definitely it for my generation. I feel like this is the stuff we will be talking about to our grandkids, and the impacts of this on society in the long term could honestly be like what 9/11 was to air travel.

Just crazy. I feel like I'm watching history unfold in front of me. I don't know if I worded that as elequoently as I'd liked, but it's just something that's been on my mind this week.

There are folks around decades older than you for whom this will be the biggest world event of their lifetime. My gosh we've had a good run.

BTW, World Wars and Great Depression have not even stopped an AFL season. (Same can't be said of most other sports). This could be the first year.

There are folks around decades older than you for whom this will be the biggest world event of their lifetime. My gosh we've had a good run.

BTW, World Wars and Great Depression have not even stopped an AFL season. (Same can't be said of most other sports). This could be the first year.

Remember it was VFL back then , and the trip to Geelong was considered too arduous so Geelong withdrew from the VFL for multiple years in WW2.

Last edited:

Nice reflection. Born 4 decades before you. This is the most significant world event of my 60 odd year life time, and you worded it really well.
I am talking about this to my grandson- he has no idea at 18 months, but he will grow up knowing how not to cough or sneeze on people, and about the importance of personal hand hygiene etc.
This whole process seems apocalyptic and whether this is part of The Rapture- who knows. After the recovery phase, I doubt that we will go back to bad habits anyway.

Tasmania are introducing a compulsory 14 day self quarantine period for anyone travelling to the Apple Isle, effective from midnight tonight. Could be interesting to see what happens with the games North and Hawthorn are due to host there.

Tasmania are introducing a compulsory 14 day self quarantine period for anyone travelling to the Apple Isle, effective from midnight tonight. Could be interesting to see what happens with the games North and Hawthorn are due to host there.
If no crowds then they would not even go there it would be played in Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back