Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not paying 1.2m and trading away assets. Is Gaff a 500-600k a year better player than Polec?

No. So we'll get Polec.

Or you negotiate Gaff down to around $900k pa which is about the max he is actually worth.

Jeez so a first round pick is valued at 6 x $300k $1.8m. Thats the extra Norths are proposing paying above market value to land a fa and save using a pick?

Wow.

Last edited:

Oh?? Not across the reasoning behind this, Honest question... Why?

Josh Kelly has a handshake agreement with the club. Numerous media outlets have reported this, not to mention I have spoken to someone who has personally been involved with it all.

Or you negotiate Gaff down to around $900k pa which is about the max he is actually worth.

Jeez so a first round pick is valued at 6 x $300k $1.8m. Thats the extra Norths are paying above market value to land a fa and save using a pick?

Wow.

Negotiate down 300k? On what planet do you live on where you think that happens?

Can you walk into a bank an negotiate your home loan to take 25% off the top? You do that to an employee they go find another job.

Deadset. Negotiate someone down 300k. I've heard it all now.

Jeez so a first round pick is valued at 6 x $300k $1.8m. Thats the extra Norths are paying above market value to land a fa and save using a pick?

Wow.
Why would Gaff do that?
He'd be much better off accepting the WC offer or going into the ND.

Why would Gaff do that?
He'd be much better off accepting the WC offer or going into the ND.

Who knows if Norths have tabled two offers. One as a fa and the other if a trade is needed.

If Gaff decides to move for family reasons he will go to the club offering the best deal.

That deal includes more than just coin.

If its Norths then so be it.

Could be someone else.

If he was the first ever elite player to go to the draft he loses control where he ends up.

But the clubs and Gaff wouldn't let that happen so its not even worth discussing because everyone loses.

You’ve got a funny way of looking at things, only west coast loses, north would be in the same position.

So if he entered the draft how would norths be in the same position?

They somehow draft him without using a pick?

Teams like Carlton, Essendon and Saint Kilda dont take him in the PSD?

Pretty confident Carlton would snap him up in the PSD without a second thought.

Knocked back by a bunch of A grade talent these past couple years, Finally get one to commit to the club only to walk away from the deal. Doesn't seem right but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you honestly think any of what you've just written would be a factor in our list management, or is it just an excuse to continue the whole "North are desperate, they keep getting knocked back" narrative?

Knocked back by a bunch of A grade talent these past couple years, Finally get one to commit to the club only to walk away from the deal. Doesn't seem right but maybe I'm wrong.

If Norths and Gaff didnt discuss a contingency should the Eagles match I would be very surprised.

Amature hour if they didnt discuss that scenario.

Do you honestly think any of what you've just written would be a factor in our list management, or is it just an excuse to continue the whole "North are desperate, they keep getting knocked back" narrative?

Honestly I'm not sure if it's been discussed between parties either player or clubs, Probably worth discussing on these boards though as we talk about absolutely every angle because we are obsessed with the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then he gets to Melbourne on the salary he wants. That's good isn't it?

If Norths and Gaff didnt discuss a contingency should the Eagles match I would be very surprised.

Amature hour if they didnt discuss that scenario.

Gaff and Connors would be well aware of what we would do in the event the contract is matched, as would any restricted free agent who discusses a deal with another club. I expect West Coast would come to us and ask what we would be prepared to offer in a trade, or other trades (ie - Preuss for a late pick), prior to making a decision on whether to match too.

Gaff and Connors would be well aware of what we would do in the event the contract is matched, as would any restricted free agent who discusses a deal with another club. I expect West Coast would come to us and ask what we would be prepared to offer in a trade, or other trades (ie - Preuss for a late pick), prior to making a decision on whether to match too.

We would all like to think so.

Preuss to Eagles for a third rounder as a side deal may be enoug to satisfy everyone.

Maybe some pick swaps to help land Polac and North keep a later pick points for academy bids.

North can't afford to walk away from Gaff if he selects them and the Eagles match, That sends a poor message doesn't it?

Polec and Gaff on their wings for the next 6 years for 2 1sts and some change is a great result.

Some North fans don't think it is an issue. They'll just walk away and save their money for the next Godfather offer. Apparently.

They "can't" trade their 2019 first round pick because they need it for Josh Kelly. Apparently.

We don't need to cause WC won't match. If they do they risk the compensation pick.
I'm sure Gaff would rather play for North than Carlton, but the money would heal the wound.

You are ignoring the question asked.

Maybe thats why the other chap didnt answer either.

The question is how does North get Gaff via the draft?

Wow the mental gymnastics is fantastic. It’s quiet simple, Gaff plays for west coast.
If he enters the draft, west coast will get nothing for him. Carlton, St Kilda or Brisbane would be the winners. West coast the losers.

I’m not sure how this effects North Melbourne’s position of never having him to begin with.

The whole point of paying Gaff 1.2m is we get him for free, instead of his actual market rate.

How are you still not getting this? No wonder WA is a fiscal basketcase, no one in that state has any concept of worth.

I thought the whole point was to get a quality player that will strengthen your list. If it's just a pissing contest to prove who you can afford to buy without trading anything then I can see why the bucket marked 'big fish' is still empty.

You see what most clubs would be doing is trying to sign Gaff for market rate or below by selling him on the strength of their club, their future prospects etc. But North's approach is 'hey we don't have any other good players so we'll pay you more than we think you are worth join us pls'.

I thought the whole point was to get a quality player that will strengthen your list. If it's just a pissing contest to prove who you can afford to buy without trading anything then I can see why the bucket marked 'big fish' is still empty.

You see what most clubs would be doing is trying to sign Gaff for market rate or below by selling him on the strength of their club, their future prospects etc. But North's approach is 'hey we don't have any other good players so we'll pay you more than we think you are worth join us pls'.

No shit sherlock. We are smaller than other clubs who are established. It's structural inequity, hence in order to build up reputation again, we must invest and pay more. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Again, it's got nothing to do with buying. The whole point is backing it up by getting big fish mkII. Who funnily enough, shares a manager with big fish one.

Call it a coincidence, call me delusional, call me whatever it is you feel to make yourself feel better about all this, but that is the reality of what's playing out right now.

It is a fact. I can personally vouch for the situation occuring before us.

Gaff may not come at all. West Coast may not match. The world might end tomorrow.

But the fact is, as of this minute, the plan is Polec, Gaff as a free agent, and Josh Kelly next year.

If that changes, it changes. But the idea is to land one A grade mid, alongside Josh, who has a handshake agreement.

So far it's Gaff. If he turns us down, that's fine, back to the drawing board.

Wow the mental gymnastics is fantastic. It’s quiet simple, Gaff plays for west coast.
If he enters the draft, west coast will get nothing for him. Carlton, St Kilda or Brisbane would be the winners. West coast the losers.

I’m not sure how this effects North Melbourne’s position of never having him to begin with.

Ok so losing Gaff to another Vic team after he elected to move to Norths after much song and dance isnt a negative.

Got it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back