Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you show me the article where WC stat they can match any offer North make ? See how stupid this sounds

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was intentionally stated that way in response to the asshat I was responding to. I would have thought that was quite obvious.

Regardless, I'd suggest it's completely true. We are likely talking, max, a difference of $300k per annum... Even if it's a touch more, you honestly think West Coast can't find that? Lycett likely gone, Emac just retired, LeCras waiting until year end before deciding whether we re sign him... I don't even think the matching of the dollars is an issue at all.

The issue would be that if the dollars being offered are genuinely insane amounts we'd have to decide whether matching is what we really want to do.

Nothing suggested so far indicates Gaff dislikes West Coast or Perth and nothing suggested so far suggests he's anything other than a complete professional. At some point, if matching a UFA is a better option than copping substandard compensation (despite the "unhappy player" risk) then a team will simply match. It happens routinely in leagues like the NBA and it's seen as part of the process.

The AFL is this weird hybrid semi-pro league where we talk in terms of trades and free agency like proper pro leagues but then think all requests to go home based on family should be honored (like it's amatuer hour) and we don't (can't) trade contracted players without their permission. It's all quite quaint. IMO one either has restricted free agency or they don't. It exists, Gaff knows that and matching is a live option regardless of what others have done.

The reality is if we were getting a Top 10 compo pick or even Norths pick 10 we likely just move on (even though that's still under) but the pick we are looking at is way under, we are a rich club and we can find ways to match.

North fans assuming we won't and that they won't (or can't) trade are assuming a lot....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez I hope Gaff plays for anyone but Norths.

The fans on here are seriou d!cos!

its quite funny but also sad to see so many people who r up in arms as we aim to recruit top tier players with big dollar. the thing is we are only targeting the top tier unlike certain other club who is linked to any free agent, washed up b graders or clutching at straws in regards tot he rumors. The thing is our recruitment strategy is nothing short of excellent and leave no room for compromises. top dollar signing dont work, draft, lock and reload and come again. Prepare to bitch and whine as this will be our modus operandi from now on.

I can probably predict there will be a few nay sayers coming out with 'but but but but but but but but but but but...wait but you missed out on Martin and Kelly.....not a destination club, googoo ga ga'. Well kinda had break out season from Cunnington, Higgin, Anderson and discovery of Ahern as a seriously good player and growth of Simpkin as a mid. So yeah theres your response to the nay sayers. Polec has nominated, so if PA wants to do some chest beating and come with a 'make them pay' mentality, im quite happy for him to walk to calton for nothing. Theres only one club gaff is likely to move to and that's us north melbourne....or stay. Most should have signed by now and he still hasn't so things dont look good.

This gross overconfidence reeks of Martin and Kelly from last year.

The only parties who truly know the discrepancy between the offers is Gaff and his management. Every figure and ‘secret river’ of income thrown about in the media is pure speculation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not confident at all.

Im saying it wouldnt be a strong possibility of him bypassing RFA and simply penning a deal with WC (no matching.

its quite funny but also sad to see so many people who r up in arms as we aim to recruit top tier players with big dollar. the thing is we are only targeting the top tier unlike certain other club who is linked to any free agent, washed up b graders or clutching at straws in regards tot he rumors. The thing is our recruitment strategy is nothing short of excellent and leave no room for compromises. top dollar signing dont work, draft, lock and reload and come again. Prepare to bitch and whine as this will be our modus operandi from now on.

I can probably predict there will be a few nay sayers coming out with 'but but but but but but but but but but but...wait but you missed out on Martin and Kelly.....not a destination club, googoo ga ga'. Well kinda had break out season from Cunnington, Higgin, Anderson and discovery of Ahern as a seriously good player and growth of Simpkin as a mid. So yeah theres your response to the nay sayers. Polec has nominated, so if PA wants to do some chest beating and come with a 'make them pay' mentality, im quite happy for him to walk to calton for nothing. Theres only one club gaff is likely to move to and that's us north melbourne....or stay. Most should have signed by now and he still hasn't so things dont look good.

Well said.

Every player North have been linked to:

1. Re-signed with their current club
2. Were appraoched by other clubs
3. Were positioned to play finals/GF at their club

When a player leaves his club, snubs Norths $$$ and signs with another then North fans can have a sook.

I don't think he was expressing annoyance with your club but rather with its supporters... In fact I think he even wrote that, in English :)

As for the year you had, I think your excitement with Higgins and Cunnington has to be tempered by the fact that they arent exactly kids.

And you missed the 8.

But good luck with the strategy.

Now that Hawthorn are out of finals reckoning, I wonder if Gaff will now announce his club of choice.....Or will he await his own current mobs demise first?
What would Hawthorn have to do with anything? They're not in the picture.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

He would only say anything if he was staying. If he was leaving he would wait till after finals for sure.

Maybe out of respect for his club & due process....Although his suspension means that he's effectively played his last game for West Coast, were he to come home to Victoria as many believe.

With Sam Mitchell coming back home to take over our midfield reins in 2019, I can see him bringing Andrew along for the ride with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Hawthorn have to do with anything? They're not in the picture.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

hawthorn is like the geelong albeit far superior variety but nonetheless they are relying on trading in ready made players to keep them in the finals. As is naturally, hawthorn's windows came later than geelong's. The so called regeneration is but getting in experienced players so they are ready to play. The fatal error in this method is that it is addictive clubs will become more and more reliant on this method to quickly boost their standing. Hawthorn's success is built on having half a dozen once a generation player then very strategically thought of recruitment to cover their weakness in short space of time to extend their window. The core list they are developing are not anything special compare to other lists so they still have recruited some very good players, it doesn't take their team back into contention. I would like to see hawthorn get gaff for 1 mil, for so called destination clubs, 1 mil is the still minimum. I like to see other teams try to deny us Gaff by breaking their own salary structure, bring it on.

I don't think he was expressing annoyance with your club but rather with its supporters... In fact I think he even wrote that, in English :)

As for the year you had, I think your excitement with Higgins and Cunnington has to be tempered by the fact that they arent exactly kids.

And you missed the 8.

But good luck with the strategy.

Good luck in 2019 minus gaff, lycett, nic nat and having to play one of the hardest draw.

It was intentionally stated that way in response to the asshat I was responding to. I would have thought that was quite obvious.

Regardless, I'd suggest it's completely true. We are likely talking, max, a difference of $300k per annum... Even if it's a touch more, you honestly think West Coast can't find that? Lycett likely gone, Emac just retired, LeCras waiting until year end before deciding whether we re sign him... I don't even think the matching of the dollars is an issue at all.

The issue would be that if the dollars being offered are genuinely insane amounts we'd have to decide whether matching is what we really want to do.

Nothing suggested so far indicates Gaff dislikes West Coast or Perth and nothing suggested so far suggests he's anything other than a complete professional. At some point, if matching a UFA is a better option than copping substandard compensation (despite the "unhappy player" risk) then a team will simply match. It happens routinely in leagues like the NBA and it's seen as part of the process.

The AFL is this weird hybrid semi-pro league where we talk in terms of trades and free agency like proper pro leagues but then think all requests to go home based on family should be honored (like it's amatuer hour) and we don't (can't) trade contracted players without their permission. It's all quite quaint. IMO one either has restricted free agency or they don't. It exists, Gaff knows that and matching is a live option regardless of what others have done.

The reality is if we were getting a Top 10 compo pick or even Norths pick 10 we likely just move on (even though that's still under) but the pick we are looking at is way under, we are a rich club and we can find ways to match.

North fans assuming we won't and that they won't (or can't) trade are assuming a lot....

Dude this is not assuming mate, you match we walk, that's fact. Gaff is worth this amount because there is no need to trade but if you want to force a trade for a 1st rounder, no can do, pick 11 is for Polec. We are also getting Aaron hall at 450k, with the right structure and coaching, he can be as effective. If west coast wants to play chicken with us or play gorilla chest beating to show who's the boss, you will lose either way. If you want to play the gun ho approach, you can keep him........at 400k more per year or you let him walk as RFA and you get a compo pick 23 or there about.

He's gonna be a nightmare from the top bunk tonight.

Be mindfully and careful of Mr Poopybutthole his alter ego ....... lets hope he doesn't lose it or it could get messy.

Be mindfully and careful of Mr Poopybutthole his alter ego ....... lets hope he doesn't lose it or it could get messy.

I'll just close my eyes and think of happy memories with Doctor Colossus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back