Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

1W07bs8E9tfJPtl0lWiyePASUuk=.gif

Why do West Coast supporters spout this nonsense? I have no doubt a few people said it, but the wooden spoon was widely agreed to be between North and Gold Coast.

Robert Walls had us winning the spoon. A view which he reaffirmed some way into our 10 game winning streak.

Most Melbourne media has us finishing bottom 6.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We wouldn't be offering him $1.2m per year if we were also going to give up anything significant by way of trade.

Don't stop there, continue onto the "it will be a bad look for future players North target" angle.

If Kelly is coming next year (and the club believes he is), and Polec is coming this year, then that is likely our 2018, 2019 and 2020 first rounders spoken for. What would we trade for Gaff?

Because I’m on a phone I’m not going to be able to split it up like you did.

I know you’s are overpaying to have get him, but that still indicates you would have him on that price. You guys really don’t have anything significant to trade with to begin with (not really many teams do going for more than 1 person) , that’s not a stab but I wouldn’t be expecting any of your top players, so it’s not like I would be (in this case I’m Eagles management) demanding all that, probably a bit more than compo if achievable. I’m sure a deal could be worked with if we matched.

Well if you want me to I will. But in all serious if my club was a small market club and they had a chance to be getting these big name players and decided not to because you would be giving up too much, (which is what exactly?) then I’d be pissed off. What’s too much for a all Australian to come to north. I’d expect the bulldogs to over pay, sainters, Brisbane and Gold Coast to bring these players in because they need as much as they can get to compete with the big guys. Especially you guys with Bombers looking to load up, hawkers, pies, cats and tigers. Can you compete with stealing signatures from these teams? Maybe 1 out of 10 times but I doubt more times than not. Just seems crazy to leave an All Australian because he didn’t come for free.

You still have a full roster to trade for him, other picks etc. I’m sure a deal could be worked out. I’m not saying it has to or it should come to that conclusion but Roos would be absolutely crazy to not try and engage in trade talks to get Gaff if Eagles matched.

If North's strategy really is to only get Gaff if they can sign him as an unmatched RFA for $3-400k above market value then they aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

I imagine the football department are kept awake at night by your crushing editorials.

They're too busy front loading contracts again to concern themselves with my pearls of wisdom.

Actually thought they were busy chasing every outside mid / half back available.

Polac + Gaff + Hall + Newman now.

Polac in the bag from reports, Hall would be an easy get.

Why chase Newman as well if Gaff was so certain to join them as so many on here are saying?o_O:think:;)

Actually thought they were busy chasing every outside mid / half back available.

Polac + Gaff + Hall + Newman now.

Polac in the bag from reports, Hall would be an easy get.

Why chase Newman as well if Gaff was so certain to join them as so many on here are saying?o_O:think:;)

Because it's about spreading run across every line of the ground, rather than just one.

Although I guess I defer to your tactical expertise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only trade deal that would be a possibility is a gentlemans agreement of Preuss for a late pick. North have currency to buy but not to trade so are going after a free agent, they're clearly not going to fork over the money and picks because that would be insane. I like Gaff but he isn't worth that.

If we match he will be playing for us. Pretty simple. There will be no matching to force a trade because no one is going to fork over the picks and the $ for that size of contract.

Not matching and gentlemans agreement to land Preuss is probably the best case scenario imo unless Gaff decides to stay on for unders, which wouldn't make much sense for him to be honest but it would be nice

We finished 2nd (pre-finals, still in it) and were also supposed to come last.

We have a $1b stadium up and running and a $50m facility under way.

If money isn't a factor (lol) there is more in our couch cushions than North's bank account.

Wow should be a no brainer then for Gaff he should have signed with WC months ago.

But here we are.

You still have a full roster to trade for him, other picks etc. I’m sure a deal could be worked out. I’m not saying it has to or it should come to that conclusion but Roos would be absolutely crazy to not try and engage in trade talks to get Gaff if Eagles matched.

I'm sure we would be happy to trade, and I'm sure WC have already discussed what we potentially could trade with us. But the point is we can't offer a first rounder, so talk of trying to beat your compo is silly. You're not going to want fringe players either instead of the compo pick, hence potentially a side deal like Preuss for a 4th rounder.

Giving up something significant for Gaff AND paying him what we're offering would be very questionable list management.

But how would North get in touch with former captain, two time premiership player and best and fairest winner Adam Simpson and three time best and fairest winner Brady Rawlings to discuss this stuff?

This week or when Simmo is free ... bit on his plate to wander off to take a social call thats all business. Talk to Rawlings.

But the point is we can't offer a first rounder, so talk of trying to beat your compo is silly.

People need to stop saying this.

Can't ≠ would prefer not to. You haven't traded for Polec yet and Josh Kelly is a pipe dream at this point.

We can't trade our first round pick to Geelong for Tim Kelly. We don't want to trade Elliot Yeo and Jack Darling in order to satisfy their silly demands.

Giving up something significant for Gaff AND paying him what we're offering would be very questionable list management.

Valid point, but it's not like North can say 'righto Andrew, we'd love you to join and will pay you $1.2m a year over 7 years if you sign as a FA, but only $800k over 5 if we need to trade'. All this stuff will go around and around a few times. By all means you can try and buy him with a shorter term big money deal with a view to resigning him for less at a later date.

The only trade deal that would be a possibility is a gentlemans agreement of Preuss for a late pick. North have currency to buy but not to trade so are going after a free agent, they're clearly not going to fork over the money and picks because that would be insane. I like Gaff but he isn't worth that.

If we match he will be playing for us. Pretty simple. There will be no matching to force a trade because no one is going to fork over the picks and the $ for that size of contract.

Not matching and gentlemans agreement to land Preuss is probably the best case scenario imo unless Gaff decides to stay on for unders, which wouldn't make much sense for him to be honest but it would be nice

Is a premiership chance more important to most players than overs in the pay packet? Gaffs situation would put a sharp point on it.

People need to stop saying this.

Can't ≠ would prefer not to. You haven't traded for Polec yet and Josh Kelly is a pipe dream at this point.

We can't trade our first round pick to Geelong for Tim Kelly. We don't want to trade Elliot Yeo and Jack Darling in order to satisfy their silly demands.

Why do they need to stop saying it? It's true. We have three major targets over the next two trade periods and two of them will require first round picks. Whether you believe it or not is up to you.

Valid point, but it's not like North can say 'righto Andrew, we'd love you to join and will pay you $1.2m a year over 7 years if you sign as a FA, but only $800k over 5 if we need to trade'. All this stuff will go around and around a few times. By all means you can try and buy him with a shorter term big money deal with a view to resigning him for less at a later date.

I expect Gaff and Connors would be well aware of all the permutations, and what we would/wouldn't be prepared to trade. It's not going to come as some shock if he accepts our offer, you match and we don't trade.

Why do they need to stop saying it? It's true. We have three major targets over the next two trade periods and two of them will require first round picks. Whether you believe it or not is up to you.

It's not that complicated. If you would rather trade for Polec and/or save a future first round pick to trade for Kelly then do it, no one is saying you can't. But spare us the 'we can't, our hands are tied' nonsense.

I expect Gaff and Connors would be well aware of all the permutations, and what we would/wouldn't be prepared to trade. It's not going to come as some shock if he accepts our offer, you match and we don't trade.

How many posts ITT are there from North fans saying we won't match, and if he signs with North there is no chance of him staying? We're up to 4,373 so at least a few hundred. I'd say it would be a shock if he accepted North's offer and stayed at WC. At least to all those North fans anyway.

You do understand what happens when West Coast match the bid.

Then they've got a player who doesn't want to be in that state let alone their team blowing out their salary cap by several hundred thousand dollars a year.

BTW - I took a hint and Watched Worpel in the finals. Well, I tried to, it was pretty hard to lay eyes on him at any point actually. He did play right?

It's not that complicated. If you would rather trade for Polec and/or save a future first round pick to trade for Kelly then do it, no one is saying you can't. But spare us the 'we can't, our hands are tied' nonsense.

If you'd prefer "we won't" then that's fine, but invariably that gets met with "that would be such a bad look" etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back