Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training Report: Wednesday Sept 4th
Sunny 16
Going into finals, our list looks as strong as it has all year. Only one player was doing supervised training (Will Kelly) and Quaynor was not sighted.
Of the probable returns, Moore did everything asked of him. He trained very strongly. Surely he must be convinced that his body can stand up.
Sidebottom trained well and looked unrestricted.
De Goey and Stevo trained without incident.

Of the others on the 'standby' list, Aish trained very well as did Ben Reid. Reid looked good to go a week ago and looked very good today. His ball use was excellent and he took some nice marks. He also dropped a sitter, but who's counting?
Both Aish and Reid are ready if needed.

When it came to the match play, the list was broken into Black v Yellow. Nearly all of the yellow team were our VFL players, but it included:
Varcoe, Noble, Wells, Madgen and Sidebottom. I'm not suggesting Sidey won't play, but the other boys must be feeling a little worried.
Roughie played back, as did Moore.

I asked Jen's AFL spy if he'd ask Bucks whether Sier was on the trade table. I was being tongue in cheek, but he said he could not ask that sort of question anyway.

It wasn't a particularly taxing workout, but at this stage of the year fitness isn't an issue.
As usual, Phillips was gracious with his time with the fans, as were Sidey, Grundy, Stevo, Apples, Roughie, Atu and Treloar.

My pick for game:
IN: Sidebottom, DeGoey, Stephenson
OUT: Madgen, Varcoe, Wills (all very, very stiff).

Last edited:
Sunny 16
Going into finals, our list looks as strong as it has all year. Only one player was doing supervised training (Will Kelly) and Quaynor was not sighted.
Of the probable returns, Moore did everything asked of him. He trained very strongly. Surely he must be convinced that his body can stand up.

Of the others on the 'standby' list, Aish trained very well as did Ben Reid. Reid looked good to go a week ago and looked very good today. His ball use was excellent and he took some nice marks. He also dropped a sitter, but who's counting?

When it came to the match play, the list was broken into Black v Yellow. Nearly all of the yellow team were our VFL players, but it included:
Varcoe, Noble, Wells, Madgen and Sidebottom. I'm not suggesting Sidey won't play, but the other boys must be feeling a little worried.

It wasn't a particularly taxing workout, but at this stage of the year fitness isn't an issue.

My pick for game:
I don't think Wills will be dropped, Geelong killed us in the clearances last time and since Wills has been playing our midfield has clicked, I think Noble will go out

Wills would be very stiff to miss, I agree, but I think Noble is needed against Geelong's quicks.
And who will provide the hardness at the contest that Wills has provided?

Certainly not DeGoo who despite training well doesn't have the mileage in his legs to do more than 20%.

Sier is on the outer and with good reason.

We need to keep that midfield structure so dropping Wills is like shooting ourselves in the foot.

Sunny 16

I asked Jen's AFL spy if he'd ask Bucks whether Sier was on the trade table. I was being tongue in cheek, but he said he could not ask that sort of question anyway.

As usual, Phillips was gracious with his time with the fans, as were Sidey, Grundy, Stevo, Apples, Roughie, Atu and Treloar.

My pick for game:
Dont let Jonbe see this, he’ll give you the spray of your life...

Edit: too late he’s arguing about it already :drunk:

Sunny 16

My pick for game:

Phillips was awesome when I went to training a couple of weeks ago. Massive smile and super friendly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apples as always excellent report.

This might seem odd, but for some reason I love the way you give the weather at the beginning. I feel like I can imagine it better. Just fits.

About this time tomorrow we’ll have seen the selections drop.

I’d guess slightly different to you with Wills remaining and Noble being unlucky.

Last edited:
And who will provide the hardness at the contest that Wills has provided?

Certainly not DeGoo who despite training well doesn't have the mileage in his legs to do more than 20%.

Sier is on the outer and with good reason.

We need to keep that midfield structure so dropping Wills is like shooting ourselves in the foot.
I’m a Sier fan but he can’t come in at Wills’ expense. Wills has been the monster mis applying tackling pressure we needed. De Goey will pinch hit through the middle but play predominantly forward I think.

Training Report: Monday 16th September
Sunny but cool with a stiff breeze.
We arrived at 11:50 to an empty ground. Didn't panic though because The Boz had given us a good tip that training would definitely be on.
Not a lot to report really; it was all over in less than 30 minutes.
Reid arrived on the track late, but trained with the group.
DeGoey surprised by running out onto the track and then did all of the warm ups and running exercises.
Later he ran with his personal trainer, no doubt under strict instructions from Germany.

I watched him closely through the glasses and he moved without any hint of discomfort. In his 100m runs, he was at about 50% pace. Got to say I was very surprised. I thought if he trained at all it would be lap work only.

If we progress this week, he'd have to be a show on today's form. Thursday will probably give us a clearer picture. If he can launch into fast leads then he plays for mine. At any rate, it's about as good as we could have hoped for at this stage.

Players left the track at about 12:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back