Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh bugger, I forgot about training today. Would’ve been a day for it!
Bad luck Tarkyn, you missed a good one. Free apples, Freddo Frogs and lots of posters/stickers. I have to say though, whoever our cartoonist is should be sacked immediately......unless they do it for free and in that case, they get my applause!??;) 59055236204__8B7AE9AE-5E90-4981-AC7C-483342F326BD.JPG

Thanks Apples for the excellent report. Sounds very promising.

A slightly odd question - how did Sier look at training? Is he fully engaged or looking disinterested?

I watched him quite closely. As usual he looked in magnificent shape and looked to be enjoying himself. It’s a pity he didn’t applied himself this year.
Thanks Apples. Hopefully the pain of missing out on this year's finals campaign is a catalyst for Sier to lift his professionalism to the requisite standard. It has never been a question of talent.

I'm with you Jen. I like the music from about 250 years ago!:)

Did you go to that event a bunch of years ago at the Hamer Hall when they played the 2010 Grand Final to a soundtrack of classical music?

With a photo of Mozart who would have guessed. Are you a musician?

Was a golden period of music from around 1650 to 1850. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven to name but a few.

Could easily add another 100 years to that timeframe ...

... Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Dvorak, Ravel, Elgar, Holst, Greig, etc, etc

Training: Thursday 19th September
Sunny and breezy 18 on arrival

Walking through Yarra Park this morning you couldn't miss that big finals are here. Lots of construction, lots of spring grass and glorious sunshine.
At 9:20 I was surprised there were so many fans in attendance.
The Age photographer interviewed an elderly woman who was sitting next to me. She was very popular with the media.

Pendles was first onto the track, so I lost that bet. Usually win these. I went for Lynch who who often a first.

DeGoey was on the track early. I posted a few tweets as he did the warm ups which can be viewed at #gopies
As you'd expect, all the players looked in top shape. It is the best our list has looked for months.
Langdon, Kelly & Dunn were on the sidelines doing stationary bike training. This was a nice way to keep these boys involved.

Ben Reid looked sharp in everything he did, as did Aish, Sharenberg and Varcoe.

In the half ground match sim, it appeared DeGoey was playing full forward. He wore the red bib as did most of the players not in the best 22. I'm not a fan of the red/yellow bibs meaning players are not in consideration. Adams wore red, as did Thomas.
As the players were all kicking towards the Yarra end, it was hard to pick who played on who to be honest, but DeGoey was with Stevo and Stevo was kicking goals. Make of that what you will.

In the full ground match sim, Ben Reid played forward against Goldy. DeGoey sat out this drill and joined Mason Cox in 100m runs along the Glasshouse side.

Daics appeared to have some problem with his right ankle, but after some time with his trainer, re-joined the main group and looked unhindered.

DeGoey will be cherry ripe for next week should he be required.

The Bureau's forecast now looks OK for the Friday game, but Saturday's forecast of rain followed by showers may lead us to select a small forward line with Mihocek the only tall. This would most likely mean Varcoe and Sharenberg as the inclusions.

Eddie arrived pretty early and spent an hour walking the boundary and accepted every request for photos. He also did an on the spot ad for Coles and asked the crowd to join in the chant: Collingwood Coles, Collingwood Coles! He did a very big thank you to Coles for sponsoring our charity for the homeless. Eddie urged the crowd to join in telling us, "We never want to forget where we came from."

Happy to answer any questions.
De Goey cherry ripe for next week, based on your view from the sidelines?

I certainly hope thats the case, but reckon might not be that simple.

Well, all we know is what we see. On Monday he moved freely which was a surprise to us all. As Jen said to me, she expected him to appear and do a bit of work but not look as good as he did. Today, he looked to me as if he could play. If it were a GF this week, I reckon they'd select him.
If we get over GWS this week, all eyes will be on Jordy in the first session to see if he can use his explosive pace. So far we've seen him moving at 75%.

Well, all we know is what we see. On Monday he moved freely which was a surprise to us all. As Jen said to me, she expected him to appear and do a bit of work but not look as good as he did. Today, he looked to me as if he could play. If it were a GF this week, I reckon they'd select him.
If we get over GWS this week, all eyes will be on Jordy in the first session to see if he can use his explosive pace. So far we've seen him moving at 75%.
Thanks for the update. What do you make of the ins this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hoped Aish would get a game. Watched the 2018 Prelim last night and loved Aish's poise under enormous pressure. Thought Reid looked right to go 3 weeks ago. I think the these two INs are about team balance and experience. Reid as a second tall is a gamble worth taking I think......unless it pours all Saturday morning!

I hoped Aish would get a game. Watched the 2018 Prelim last night and loved Aish's poise under enormous pressure. Thought Reid looked right to go 3 weeks ago. I think the these two INs are about team balance and experience. Reid as a second tall is a gamble worth taking I think......unless it pours all Saturday morning!
I concur Apples.

Real concerns if Keeffe rolls forward (which is likely) because it’s possible we get sucked into him being a decoy drawing Roughead away. It would then leave Finlayson or Himmelberg with the exploitable matchup. I think they pulled the wrong rein and we’ll see a late change.

Last edited:
Remember there are Howe, Moore and Roughie as talls. Maynard can play taller at a pinch and there is no Greene for him to worry about.

Light on v Himmelberg, Finlayson, Cameron and Keeffe. It’s fine if we send Howe or Maynard to Keeffe, but if we fall for the same two card trick as last time, when Roughead went to Simpson, it could be a similar shemozzle.

Only thing that worries me about Aish is that he seems to take 3-4 weeks to work his way back into form off a break. That aside I like the selection. It was Reid and one of Shaz/Aish for me and they've no doubt got good reason for going for Aish.

Light on v Himmelberg, Finlayson, Cameron and Keeffe. It’s fine if we send Howe or Maynard to Keeffe, but if we fall for the same two card trick as last time, when Roughead went to Simpson, it could be a similar shemozzle.
Jeez I hope they do play Keeffe up forward with his track record as a forward in finals. Just play Crisp or Maynard on him. If they choose to try to isolate and play through him rather than the other guys, that'll be a massive win for us. Plus Crisp or Maynard will have a field day in transition.

At least we have some depth this year.
If we manage to win, we have JDG to come back in, also Scharenberg & Varcoe as back up (if required).
Last year we had Howe, Treloar & Goldsack returning from Long term injuries.
We simply ran out of players.

Jeez I hope they do play Keeffe up forward with his track record as a forward in finals. Just play Crisp or Maynard on him. If they choose to try to isolate and play through him rather than the other guys, that'll be a massive win for us. Plus Crisp or Maynard will have a field day in transition.

Complete agreement that either of those two could handle him (hell Noble or Aish could probably do it if needed) and that it potentially works in our favour, but it’s not how we went against them last time out. When they rolled out with their core 3 + Simpson we had Roughead on Simpson which blew up in our face!

If we instead went Scharenberg over Aish I’d have no such concerns and it would allow Crisp and Maynard more freedom. My take is this was a selection with an eye towards the GF when Scharenberg won’t have a matchup so they wanted Aish to get one game in at least...

Complete agreement that either of those two could handle him (hell Noble or Aish could probably do it if needed) and that it potentially works in our favour, but it’s not how we went against them last time out. When they rolled out with their core 3 + Simpson we had Roughead on Simpson which blew up in our face!

If we instead went Scharenberg over Aish I’d have no such concerns and it would allow Crisp and Maynard more freedom. My take is this was a selection with an eye towards the GF when Scharenberg won’t have a matchup so they wanted Aish to get one game in at least...
Yeah sacrificing Roughhead on someone who didn't need a good defender was a bad call. I thought it was Mumford last time who mainly played forward? I think it will be Mumford this time too. Mummy to do the centre bounces and move forward. Keeffe to tag Grundy around the ground. Really hope we try to exploit Mumford rather than worry about how to stop him.

Could easily add another 100 years to that timeframe ...

... Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Dvorak, Ravel, Elgar, Holst, Greig, etc, etc
Yes, you could, but none of those composers would rate in the top 3 based on output or quality, although that is applying a sporting measure to an art form, which possibly makes it meaningless.

You could probably take it in the other direction to, with the likes of Telemann, Vivaldi, Scalatti, Couperin, Rameau

Went to the Chopin museum in Paris today. As a piano player I was curious to check out the cast of his left hand. Wasn't allowed to, but couldn't resist stricking a few keys on his piano. Pianos in those days were terrible compared to the Steinways and Bosendorfers of today. Chopin would be staggered.

Also went to the Musee D'Orsay, which was amazing. Enjoyed it more than the Louvre, mainly because it is less overwhelming.

Anymore tourist tips for Paris?

I only have 3 more days in Paris, and I don't want to leave. But at least I will be home for the GF, if we make it.

Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back