Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

She wasn't dead at the time.
That is problem with how the Australian team acted. They always believed they never crossed the line and got offended if they felt someone crossed their imaginary line at them. The Sarwan incident was bad but when you constantly provoke people eventually somone is going to lash out

Meanwhile most of the rest of the world thought they crossed the line repeatedly

Personally the results don't really matter, I generally just want to see a good contest.

England and increasingly India excepted

I can't even remember what prompted that now. Was it Warner? All I recall is Faf coming out to see what was going on in a towel.

But the rabid dog reputation has been around for a loooooong time. That article (whether you agree with the analysis or not) has a pretty good timeline of the behaviour of the Australian cricket team.
All the SBW face masks and constant taunting from De Kock about Candace was what set him off

I'm sure we all would've handled someone insulting our dead wives better than him.
She wasn't dead at the time.
Correct.

Also, it was a response to "what does Brian Lara's **** taste like?"

So, you know, if you're going to dish it out, you have to expect it to come back to you sometimes.

I thought she was. Was she ill with cancer then?
Yeah, she was, but my memory is that it wasn't really well-known at the time. Also, it was a throwaway line from Sarwan ("I don't know, ask your wife") that really had nothing to do with her being unwell and McGrath definitely over-reacted.

It doesn't really matter.
Sarwan is not to know that.

Like big_e said in the message above, if you're going to dish it out, you have to expect some back.
It's not about Sarwan, it's about Glenn. It's still an emotionally charged statement for him to receive, intent behind it or no. I don't buy into the "giving it out but not taking it" argument in that instance.

Fair enough.

Were you one of the folks who threw Smith under the bus during sandpapergate?

Asking for a friend.
The suggestion that anyone threw Smith under the bus is a nonsense.

He saw something happening, chose to ignore it, and then when they were caught, he chose to lie about it.

His actions, his consequences.

It's not about Sarwan, it's about Glenn. It's still an emotionally charged statement for him to receive, intent behind it or no. I don't buy into the "giving it out but not taking it" argument in that instance.
McGrath crossed the line from sledging into abuse.

You can't say it's OK for him to call a player a ********er but it's not OK for Sarwan to have a go back.
You can't chose what abuse you will receive back.

You're defending the indefensible mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i see henriques is having a sook about not being picket for the ashes, questioning the 'logic' of the selectors, despite the fact he hasnt played any shield cricket this year and averages 24 in tests and 37 in first class.

maybe get back to us when you average 48 in first class and 55 in tests, get dropped 3 tests after making 200 for a selectors favourite despite that player being in shocking form, and then not being recalled when that player retires mid way through the next series.

Find it hard to see Inglis picked, sitting on the bench for the duration of the WC and not getting to play Shield has probably foiled his chances (unless he has seriously impressed the right people while over there somehow), even though Carey hasn't done anything while he was away.

McGrath crossed the line from sledging into abuse.

You can't say it's OK for him to call a player a ********** but it's not OK for Sarwan to have a go back.
You can't chose what abuse you will receive back.

You're defending the indefensible mate.
He's allowed to have a go back. There's never been a problem with that.

The incident didn't become emotionally charged until after his wife was brought into it. That's the specific part I've been talking about - the subject matter, not sledging in general. Sarwan wasn't in the wrong because he didn't know, and I don't blame Glenn for being particularly upset given the emotion in the situation for him. Glenn was more in the wrong but it's not a moment I'm going to dish out the "You can give it but can't take it" trope given the extremely difficult personal situation it was.

Nuance can be difficult.

The incident didn't become emotionally charged until after his wife was brought into it. That's the specific part I've been talking about - the subject matter, not sledging in general. Sarwan wasn't in the wrong because he didn't know, and I don't blame Glenn for being particularly upset given the emotion in the situation for him. Glenn was more in the wrong but it's not a moment I'm going to dish out the "You can give it but can't take it" trope given the extremely difficult personal situation it was.

Nuance can be difficult.
McGrath has form for abuse.

He wasn't the Lone Ranger in that Aussie side at the time.

Nuance can be difficult.
Actualllllyyyyyyyyy.....

If you watch the lead-up to it, McGrath was pretty angry for a while. Umpires had spoken to him a few times to cool it and he didn't.

Find it hard to see Inglis picked, sitting on the bench for the duration of the WC and not getting to play Shield has probably foiled his chances (unless he has seriously impressed the right people while over there somehow), even though Carey hasn't done anything while he was away.
He does have the Aus A game to show something - assuming it isn't washed out, which is a stretch atm. As much as I'd like him to be picked I think he is ultimately in 2nd place.

I'm more hopeful that Jhye is picked over Mitch at this point. I have a feeling that decision will ultimately be more impactful that Inglis/Carey.

He does have the Aus A game to show something - assuming it isn't washed out, which is a stretch atm. As much as I'd like him to be picked I think he is ultimately in 2nd place.

I'm more hopeful that Jhye is picked over Mitch at this point. I have a feeling that decision will ultimately be more impactful that Inglis/Carey.

The West is running a pic on socials of Inglis, Agar and Marsh on a plane heading back to Perth to prepare for the big bash which suggest that the practice game has been cancelled and Carey is in

The suggestion that anyone threw Smith under the bus is a nonsense.

He saw something happening, chose to ignore it, and then when they were caught, he chose to lie about it.

His actions, his consequences.

Did he lie? He lied about the sandpaper but I'd be willing to bet if he didn't come out in a press conference and admit to ball tampering this would have disappeared overnight.

If anything he was punished for being too honest.

The West is running a pic on socials of Inglis, Agar and Marsh on a plane heading back to Perth to prepare for the big bash which suggest that the practice game has been cancelled and Carey is in
Weird, there is also an Aus A vs England Lions match that is supposed to be played during the test match. Cant imagine that has been called off yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back