Atley v Heppel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you underestimate the rucking powers of Boak and Sylvia.

I'm also wondering where this, "we'll rest this bloke and we'll rest that bloke" stuff comes from?

Are we 4 games clear on top of the ladder?
Nah, just don't want to overwork the bloke. He looks stuffed to me and when blokes are stuffed they can get injured. Just want to cover all bases I guess. Even get Pedo to chop him out for up to 40% game time from time to time would be better than having him bang bodies for 80% game time over 16 rounds of footy until H makes it back.

With NorthBhoy again on this one. It seems almost every time Atley is brought up his kicking is mentioned. I do wonder if it would be talked about at all if draftees came with a blank slate and he didn't have the knock on his kicking. From what I've seen this year, it's been more than acceptable for a first year player, and he's hit plenty of nice ones.

If you had no knowledge of him pre-draft and you went to take a dump when he had those back-to-back out on the fulls a couple of weeks back, I reckon you'd describe him as a pretty solid kick.

Personally, I'm eternally grateful to the football gods for allowing the "Atley: can't kick" notion to become the accepted wisdom in the pre-draft circus last year. Whoever started and perpetuated this rubbish has done us an enormous favour. There's no other way that he would have lasted to our pick in the draft. Kudos to our recruiting team for seeing through the bullshit, too.

The kid's a gun.

Personally, I'm eternally grateful to the football gods for allowing the "Atley: can't kick" notion to become the accepted wisdom in the pre-draft circus last year. Whoever started and perpetuated this rubbish has done us an enormous favour. There's no other way that he would have lasted to our pick in the draft. Kudos to our recruiting team for seeing through the bullshit, too.

The kid's a gun.

Imagine how good we'd look if we didn't listen to the 'Selwood injury prone' or 'Darling off field menace' pre draft tags...

Imagine how good we'd look if we didn't listen to the 'Selwood injury prone' or 'Darling off field menace' pre draft tags...

Agree re Selwood (unfortunately, this in itself has fuelled a fair bit of Hansen hate), but with all due respect to Keiran Harper, I strongly suspect that we would have grabbed Jack Darling if our second round draft pick was just one place higher.

His kicking isn't A-Grade, you can tell when he disposes of it when not under pressure, the ball sailed over guys he was kicking it to a few times. But! It has improved week by week and will continue to improve. He is in the same boat as Swallow was, he couldn't hit the side of the barn in his first season and took him a couple of years to really become a good kick.

I think when Atley focuses on it he kicks okay but matchday fatigue makes it hard to keep that level of focus up, another pre-season or two and he will refine the kicking and improve his fitness to a point the kicking will be very solid.

Bartell had similar question marks when we went for Hale instead. But, Hale was more an evolution of shizen list management which left us with no ruck prospect at all.

As to Darling, we could have only got him at the expense of Atley. We got Harper with the next pick which I am pretty happy with.

It would be nice to have both. I would still take Atley though if i had to choose and that's not counting my bias!

FFS, he's a self confessed poor kick. It's not a bloody crime to point out a slight flaw in a player that wears the blue and white. If your not making shit up or saying it in a derogatory manner I see no problem with discussing a players only knock in a fair and balanced manner.

Points to consider.
He 'slid' to us because recruiters didn't rate his kicking. fact.
Pre draft he was aware of his weakness and bought 10 sherrins to do extra kicking practice with is dad. fact.

Every single game I've seen him torch very gettable kicks. opinion.
I've often seen him look to square it up by foot, in what boomer would consider a regulation pass into the corridor, but then not back himself in and give off a handball to a runner. opinion.

Is this the end of the world? NO.
Do i regret taking him? Not one single bit. I was, and remain to be, absolutely wrapped to have him fall to us, I was cursing our pick 17 because i thought it was too late to nab a gem, but I feel that we would've grabbed atley had we even landed pick 6 in the draft. We got a gun!!!

I love the kid more than every other draftee we've got. I've made highlight clips of his games because I LOVE what he brings to the club. He's exciting to watch, he has unbelievable talent, I think he will prove to be one of the best of all our young mids. Do I love him any less because he isn't our best kick? NO.

It's plain for everyone to see. I feel embarrassed for those that are trying to cover it up. He'll be working on it, he's one of the most determined youngsters at the club. Everything will be ohhhh-kkaaayyyy.

FFS, he's a self confessed poor kick. It's not a bloody crime to point out a slight flaw in a player that wears the blue and white. If your not making shit up or saying it in a derogatory manner I see no problem with discussing a players only knock in a fair and balanced manner.

Points to consider.
He 'slid' to us because recruiters didn't rate his kicking. fact.
Pre draft he was aware of his weakness and bought 10 sherrins to do extra kicking practice with is dad. fact.

Every single game I've seen him torch very gettable kicks. opinion.
I've often seen him look to square it up by foot, in what boomer would consider a regulation pass into the corridor, but then not back himself in and give off a handball to a runner. opinion.

Is this the end of the world? NO.
Do i regret taking him? Not one single bit. I was, and remain to be, absolutely wrapped to have him fall to us, I was cursing our pick 17 because i thought it was too late to nab a gem, but I feel that we would've grabbed atley had we even landed pick 6 in the draft. We got a gun!!!

I confess to not having read every post in this thread, but i don't think anyone is having a go at you.

As for Atley - by the way can someone come up with a nickname for him - sure he has not hit a pass here and there. I saw Boomer miss a regulation pass on Saturday but we know he is a good kick. Same for Wellsy. Just about every player misses a gettable kick every week.

Two things are for sure though

1. He kicks it better than Brady
  2. He will be a gun

I confess to not having read every post in this thread, but i don't think anyone is having a go at you.

As for Atley - by the way can someone come up with a nickname for him - sure he has not hit a pass here and there. I saw Boomer miss a regulation pass on Saturday but we know he is a good kick. Same for Wellsy. Just about every player misses a gettable kick every week.

Two things are for sure though

1. He kicks it better than Brady
  2. He will be a gun
He's been dubbed "Humphrey' by the playing group apparently, because he doesn't say anything.

I have no doubt that Atley will never sign for GWS or anyone else for that matter. After all, he promised that he's never gonna make us cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and desert us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point I'd like to admit that when Goldy got the little (special) handpass out to Atley (who had run 40m to get to the contest) to dinky kick to Bastinac which eventuated in a game sealing free kick, all of my mates on Lv2 Aisle 7 (in front of the Essendon box) turned and gave it to Hird.

I was unfazed by the Hird riling and turned to Adrian Dodoro, eyeballed him and mouthed the name "Shaun Atley" 3 times. He tried to look away but couldn't manage it and after the third time gave me a nod and a shoulder shrug.

At that point I realised that this was only the first of many times that Adrian would come to regret the decision to draft the uncontested ball user instead of the hungry young kid who sidesteps veteran taggers at will.

Heppell Eats Atley in every stat available.
Has even got more

Contested Possessions
Clearances
1st Possessions
1%ers
Playmaker
Hard ball gets
Score involvements
Kicks
H/Balls
Marks
Goal assists
tackles

Heppell 73.2% Eff
Atley 67.6% Eff

Heppell is so far in front of Atley it is not funny!

Has even got more

Contested Possessions
Clearances
1st Possessions
1%ers
Playmaker
Hard ball gets
Score involvements
Kicks
H/Balls
Marks
Goal assists
tackles

Heppell 73.2% Eff
Atley 67.6% Eff

What Happell does, you can draft another 50 kids who can do the same - the main difference being some of them won't be ready to play from day one, as Happell was.

What Atley brings to the table is speed off the mark, as well as ability to win the contested ball. Watch the replay of last week's game.

Has even got more

Contested Possessions
Clearances
1st Possessions
1%ers
Playmaker
Hard ball gets
Score involvements
Kicks
H/Balls
Marks
Goal assists
tackles

Heppell 73.2% Eff
Atley 67.6% Eff

12 games into their career bro.

Heppel lives inside the press.

Atley breaks through it.

Just like the under 18 championships and TAC cup, Heppell is still way infront, maybe even bigger gap now.

Don't know how you can say hepell's way ahead when he hasnt even had an opponent half the time this year. He has been playing the uncontested lose man off half back role.

Don't know how you can say hes way ahead when Hepell hasnt even had an opponent half the time this year. He has been playing the uncontested lose man off half back role.

Dustin Fletcher says hi :cool:

Heppell has been far superior to Atley thus far, but gee, 12 games in a hopefully long and prosperous career, think both sides are getting a little ahead of themselves don't we thnk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back