Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - narrow win gives NMFC its third win of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t heckled the stats so this is just the eyeball test:

- Midfield flogged them in tight but we got pantsed on the spread.

- Xerri enormous. It have been his best match for the club. Against good opposition, he was getting tackles, clearances and marks around the ground and getting it done with the taps. He ground Nankervis down to a paste in the end. Brilliant.

- enormous response from LDU kicking goals, dancing and spreading from congestion. Rusty in the first quarter but dominated the game.

- After a disappearing act for a quarter of the match, Sheeze fought back with a vengeance. Critical at numerous stages all over the ground.

- Will was pretty good playing a pretty straight bat today as a ball winner. Numerous times showed composure to lower the eyes when the rest of the team’s wits had failed them.

- Powell very good today in defence as the release kick. Was having a mare first quarter but fought back admirably.

- Jy had a pretty crap game I thought and while bobbed up with good pressure for moments was caught in no man’s land for most of the match.

-Tucker played an important wing/HB game and was influential is stopping and creating goals.

- Scott had his second career-best game today. Oodles of run, good disposal, drive forward, saving the defences bacon, a goal assist or two and a goal. Immense.

- Comben did brilliantly considering his arms and legs were only being attached to his torso with tape. So much heart.

- apart from the odd poor decision, Corr continued his strong run and didn’t look like losing a one-on-one.

- Ketch was serviceable but didn’t really have any standout moments.

- Stephens was ok.

- Stephenson had a much better second half after a few stuff ups.

- Ford had some big marks on the wing but has to turn around quicker to take advantage of the mark. He is probably spent so will improve this aspect with greater conditioning.

- Curtis didn’t have a huge offensive day but was crucial with about 5 50/50 that he either halved or won. Very good.

- Larkey played well and was better leading to the ball.

- Pink did enough to warm the CHF for any inanimate carbon rod out there that we select to fill it.

- Duursma had some nice moments and one incredible moment. I was sick so only saw it on the tellie. The crowd seemed loud. Has to play on the ground from now on.

- Teakle continued his handy form being a wing outlet and bring down a couple of contested marks and a goal. Super consistent.

- Zurhaar didn’t have many opportunities in the forward half but played well defensively and as a link up on HF. A pretty selfless game from him.
I’m staggered…. I think you just about named the entire team there but left out Arch!!!! He was imperious today!!

Since the bye we have played 9 games.
  • 3 have been wins
  • 2 we lost by less than a goal against two recent premiers.
  • 2 were by under 3 goals against 2 sides both likely to make top 4 (and dogs arguably the best team in it atm).
  • The other two were probably our worst performances against the top side on the ladder at their home and the other against a side currently sitting 2nd though may drop but essentially are within half a win from being outright 2nd.
Some perspective.. we are a competitive side again. Today was scrappy and frustrating at times, the umpires were rubbish again.. we won.
We’re the youngest side in the league with the least games experience. But I think we’re building towards something real special. Today was the first win I’ve seen in person since round 1 last year against the eagles. I’ll take it!
Quality post

Ouch alright

Then got me thinking of 1996

How we got our act together after some of these losses?

Still a potent forward line I guess

View attachment 2067965View attachment 2067968View attachment 2067969View attachment 2067971
you, Sir, have enjoyed the nature of semi-professional / pasteurised sport. lest we forget. (I deliberately use that expression lightly because what I've read leads me to believe the current deification is disgusting.) The Cola's of course proving me to be more wrong than Penny.

the following announcement comes from heaven....
Saint Coach Emeritus Scamper (my little geelong cat saint)
meows the follow....
thanks for winning for me...
i am doing The Scamper right now in heaven...
The Scamper.jpg

i want you all to join in with me down in Melbourne right now, and a one and a two...

the following announcement comes from heaven....
Saint Coach Emeritus Scamper (my little geelong cat saint)
meows the follow....
thanks for winning for me...
i am doing The Scamper right now in heaven...
The Scamper.jpg

i want you all to join in with me down in Melbourne right now, and a one and a two...
and i will be playing the Club Song on Wednesday when i see his grave (and i will dance The Scamper too)

As a Kangas fan in nsw, I am loving being able to give it to my swans bandwagon mates tonight.

Lol swans.
Who? Oh the team that is the hot favourite for the flag and every ones question lately is who is going to play them in the grand final? I think any team that makes the finals this year can win it, every one is having their run of good games and bad games, the team that times their run into the finals and has that little bit of luck can certainly lift the trophy in the grand final.

Sydney are a good team that have been up for quite a while and like it or hate it, it showed big time against Port, while most of us dislike Port you have to give them credit, they picked the favourites up, smacked their ar*e, and said what are doing on the same ground as us! Maybe, just maybe they have not shaken the demons from that grand final, this wasn't an off game, they didn't have three or four of their best players out injured and where was the killer instinct for a rival finalist.

They have bigger problems than one might think and the worst thing to do in this position is to say it doesn't matter, its good to have a loss or two before the finals, as if teams can just switch it on and off at the drop of a hat, danger signs for them and if they are not careful things can go from worse to unthinkable very quickly.

I’m staggered…. I think you just about named the entire team there but left out Arch!!!! He was imperious today!!
I realised that after. You are completely right. Even with X, sheeze continuing on to possible AA, Comben and Wardlaw showing more and more with greater experience, the emergence of Arch as our shutdown small may just be the biggest win of the season.

As many have said, an ugly win, but sure beats a pretty loss.

+s:
  • First to put my hand up and say that big X has well and truly exceeded anything I thought he could do. Most pleasing thing is he’s (largely) stopped taking it out of the ruck and hacking it forward and instead letting our mids get to work. In addition, his aerial presence around the ground to go with his close in work is just magnificent at the moment. Hats off to you, big man.
  • LDU. Yikes.
  • Stevo had some horrific moments in that first half, but boy did he step up in the last. Much prefer him higher up the ground (say a wing) than in the d50.
  • Bailey fantastic. Need his signature, just an outstanding role player.
  • Jacko MUST be recognised with a Rising Star nom this week. Let’s end this charade.
-s:
  • Probably the poorest game I’ve seen Jy play. Absolutely butchered it at every single opportunity.
  • I know he only came on in the third, but I think we’ve gotta put a line through RHJ. There’s no way that someone like Drury couldn’t offer more playing the same role.
  • The fact we kept turning it over/couldn’t get it past our half forward line for 95% of the last quarter was incredibly frustrating. Just didn’t compete. Couldn’t even cause a stoppage - they were just allowed to rebound constantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you, Sir, have enjoyed the nature of semi-professional / pasteurised sport. lest we forget. (I deliberately use that expression lightly because what I've read leads me to believe the current deification is disgusting.) The Cola's of course proving me to be more wrong than Penny.
Music Festival 90S GIF

Since the bye we have played 9 games.
  • 3 have been wins
  • 2 we lost by less than a goal against two recent premiers.
  • 2 were by under 3 goals against 2 sides both likely to make top 4 (and dogs arguably the best team in it atm).
  • The other two were probably our worst performances against the top side on the ladder at their home and the other against a side currently sitting 2nd though may drop but essentially are within half a win from being outright 2nd.
Some perspective.. we are a competitive side again. Today was scrappy and frustrating at times, the umpires were rubbish again.. we won.
We’re the youngest side in the league with the least games experience. But I think we’re building towards something real special. Today was the first win I’ve seen in person since round 1 last year against the eagles. I’ll take it!
Absolutely this. Our form since the bye suggests we aren't too far off. Clarkson will be building on this and working with the boys on how they convert 2 of those 4 narrow losses into wins. Do that, and North win 5/9 games, which is a 12-13 win season - that's a mid-table team right there. With another top 3 pick, continued growth in the team, and perhaps a softer draw, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that this team can challenge for top 8 as early as next season.

As many have said, an ugly win, but sure beats a pretty loss.

+s:
  • First to put my hand up and say that big X has well and truly exceeded anything I thought he could do. Most pleasing thing is he’s (largely) stopped taking it out of the ruck and hacking it forward and instead letting our mids get to work. In addition, his aerial presence around the ground to go with his close in work is just magnificent at the moment. Hats off to you, big man.
  • LDU. Yikes.
  • Stevo had some horrific moments in that first half, but boy did he step up in the last. Much prefer him higher up the ground (say a wing) than in the d50.
  • Bailey fantastic. Need his signature, just an outstanding role player.
  • Jacko MUST be recognised with a Rising Star nom this week. Let’s end this charade.
-s:
  • Probably the poorest game I’ve seen Jy play. Absolutely butchered it at every single opportunity.
  • I know he only came on in the third, but I think we’ve gotta put a line through RHJ. There’s no way that someone like Drury couldn’t offer more playing the same role.
  • The fact we kept turning it over/couldn’t get it past our half forward line for 95% of the last quarter was incredibly frustrating. Just didn’t compete. Couldn’t even cause a stoppage - they were just allowed to rebound constantly.
RHJ set up an important goal with a neat handball as soon as he got out there - after that he seemed almost in the right spot a few times but it didn’t quite happen. Watching in the warmup he is a lovely kick for goal, and the mark and goal a couple of weeks ago was great, but so far at least we aren’t seeing much small forward value from him.

On the way out of the stadium today some random kid started trolling a kid in a Richmond jumper.

Kid said to him Dusty’s going to the Suns and the kid burst into tears telling him he wasn’t. The other kid kept rubbing it in saying yes he is.
Would a club really pay for dusty now? He's done! And he is not like hodge to become an on field coach

RHJ set up an important goal with a neat handball as soon as he got out there - after that he seemed almost in the right spot a few times but it didn’t quite happen. Watching in the warmup he is a lovely kick for goal, and the mark and goal a couple of weeks ago was great, but so far at least we aren’t seeing much small forward value from him.
He has tools. I'd like to persist for the rest of the year. If he has one break out game it would give him the belief

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - narrow win gives NMFC its third win of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back