Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like MrP's top 5 and can see where he is coming from, but mine would be a little bit different. So for what it's worth, here is my top 5+1, because i couldn't narrow it down to just 5:

6. James Worpel
5. Marc Pittonet
4. James Cousins
3. Jagear O'Meara
2. Blake Hardwick
1. Jarman Impey

I actually found this really difficult. The only easy pick was Impey at No. 1. He has been a revelation with his pace, skill, aggression and ball use.

Hardwick has been outstanding. Never gets beaten, shows courage and leadership at all times. He is the new Hodge.

Jaegar's training intensity is the highest I have seen. Under S Mitchell he has only gotten better. Possible brownlow medalist.

Cousins promince in drills and match sims is impossible to ignore. He has the tools to be a great in and under mid and there appears to be a plan for him to play a bigger role this season

Pitto has been immense. Contested marking is now a real feature of his game. He could be a real weapon if he continues on this trajectory.

Worpel, despite the knocks that some have on his disposal, he has been brilliant IMO. He has trimmed down, is noticeably quicker, and has been a clearance machine. His trademark low flat kicks to a leading forward rarely miss. It's more the errant handballs that can let him down, but I'm not concerned.

Special mentions:
Harry Jones
Will Golds
Jiath

Golds has the potential to be something special. Jones, if he stays fit, also has huge upside and has shown glimpses of it over recent weeks. Jiath gets a mention for all of the reasons that MrP highlighted so well.

I debated having Howe in the top 5 but he is probably just outside it. I do believe he is on the up though and could be in for a really good year.

Also, something to keep in mind is that MrP and I are often watching different drills and focussing on different groups, hence the differences in our observations.

Last edited:
Thought Howe was/is a player who was going to step it up over the next few years, anyway.

Not sure why it's concerning that he's having a great pre-season.

A major over reaction buy some over my previous post, it's usually the case when it's not all roses.
Great news on Howe, i look fwd to watching him in a hr!

My point i was eluding to is, I can see us covering mitchell absense in the middle, we have young inside mids coming thru and we have some of the best gut runners in the comp on the outside, with the combination of smith,scully,impey,hendo our midfield will be fine!!

What i can't see is how we are going to release sicily as the 3rd tall or roughead from chf. I don't see anyone on our list capable or coming thru!

A major over reaction buy some over my previous post, it's usually the case when it's not all roses.
Great news on Howe, i look fwd to watching him in a hr!

My point i was eluding to is, I can see us covering mitchell absense in the middle, we have young inside mids coming thru and we have some of the best gut runners in the comp on the outside, with the combination of smith,scully,impey,hendo our midfield will be fine!!

What i can't see is how we are going to release sicily as the 3rd tall or roughead from chf. I don't see anyone on our list capable or coming thru!

Absolutely nothing to do with your previous post.
Zero.
Zilch.

Love the "taken out of context" bullsh*t !

Ben Stratton was on radio last week talking about our preseason. He was typically laid back and not paying any lip service...... But he really gushed with praise over Sam Mitchell as a coach. He said that anyone who had spent one-on-one time with Sammy was transformed as a player... and that he could see the difference in how they played and what they did when playing match simulation.

...... But he really gushed with praise over Sam Mitchell as a coach. He said that anyone who had spent one-on-one time with Sammy was transformed as a player... and that he could see the difference in how they played and what they did when playing match simulation.

Right then. Let’s get Luke back ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey has impressed with his explosiveness and looks physically primed for a big year. Looks settled after 12 months back in his home state. Looks much cleaner with the ball and the major knock on him last year was how appalling his endurance was. I haven't noticed that to be a problem this pre-season.

Since January, JOM has been extremely exciting. No strapping on the legs, participated in all sessions and he isn't holding back. Importantly, the club/medical staff don't seem to be holding him back either.
Dominated the match sims and looks powerful. Has definitely slimmed down and looks ready to step up in Mitchell's absence
I just don’t understand why AFL players don’t consistently use tape to stable all of their joints, for all of their training and playing time, irrespective of whether they have an joint concern.

For me it is similar to the introduction of helmets in cricket. Most cricketers and commentators initially derided those people who used helmets as being scared. 20 years later people found that helmets enabled players to be better than they were without the helmet. 40 years on and no batsman will face up to Stark without a helmet.

The concern with too much tape is the loss of agility. In cricket the problem with the early motorcycle-style helmet was the altered vision (a fair concern). Then cricket helmets evolved to become fit for purpose.... and so can taping methods (i.e. so that agility is kept but hyper-extension of joints is minimised).

I’d love to read that JOM is taped to the eyeballs and still cutting it up on the track. For that matter, I’d love to read that every Hawks player looks like a mummy on the training track and smashing it. Soft tissue injuries and broken legs aside, it could be one way the Hawks find an edge.

Last edited:
I think the reasoning is something along the line of when you strap one joint, it puts more pressure on the next one.
Well said, so strap them all. None too “tight”, all minimising injury
Masking imbalances doesn't protect or correct them
If all joints are strapped then there is no imbalance.

It is not about masking injury, though that may be a side advantage, it is about protecting / minimising hyper-extension; be it ankle, knee, or shoulder.
The idea changes a reco to a tear, a tear to a sprain, and a sprain to discomfort.

Last edited:
Well said, so strap them all. None too “tight”, all minimising injury

If all joints are strapped then there is no imbalance.

It is not about masking injury, though that may be a side advantage, it is about protecting / minimising hyper-extension; be it ankle, knee, or shoulder.
The idea changes a reco to a tear, a tear to a sprain, and a sprain to discomfort.

What if the joint was meant to give away first as a way to protect from a more serious injury?

I would rather replace a fuse then replace a TV.

Ben Stratton was on radio last week talking about our preseason. He was typically laid back and not paying any lip service...... But he really gushed with praise over Sam Mitchell as a coach. He said that anyone who had spent one-on-one time with Sammy was transformed as a player... and that he could see the difference in how they played and what they did when playing match simulation.

Perhaps Sammy is our missing Tom Mitchell this year... he'll transform several midfielders to cover that slack.

What's the recovery time for the first proper hit out for the season?

Surely they'd be pretty sore after last night so training would be 'recovery mode' for the rest of the week?

Mmmm, Red Breast
Not enough sunscreen?
What's the recovery time for the first proper hit out for the season?

Surely they'd be pretty sore after last night so training would be 'recovery mode' for the rest of the week?
Eight day turnaround to the Blues praccy match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back