Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the reports during the preseason intraclub game. Lets see how he's going after 25 games on 2019!
Silk easily has to go down as one of the best 2 club players (of at least 100 games at each club) in the history of the game. One could argue that his career at Hawthorn is better that his career at Port. I’m hoping Birchall has a similar ending to his career fitness wise but Silk is obviously a freak of nature.

Silk easily has to go down as one of the best 2 club players (of at least 100 games at each club) in the history of the game. One could argue that his career at Hawthorn is better that his career at Port. I’m hoping Birchall has a similar ending to his career fitness wise but Silk is obviously a freak of nature.

Im all for being optimistic, but this is stretching it:)

Up until his PCL injury Birchall was basically in the team every week from the time he debuted. If he can finish off his career half as good as Shauny then I’ll take it.
Agreed but lets be realistic he has played how many games in the last 3yrs ? Not the age you want to be getting re occurring issues.
I will be surprised to see him play more than 15 games this yr which is shattering the team looks so much better with him in the side.

Agreed but lets be realistic he has played how many games in the last 3yrs ? Not the age you want to be getting re occurring issues.
I will be surprised to see him play more than 15 games this yr which is shattering the team looks so much better with him in the side.
You could look at like that.... or you could say that his body is still fresh from very little football over the past 3 yrs and his knee problems are behind him which may point to a very productive season.

Silk easily has to go down as one of the best 2 club players (of at least 100 games at each club) in the history of the game. One could argue that his career at Hawthorn is better that his career at Port.

Not a chance, he won an AA at Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"best" is sooooooo subjective. Some people go purely in height of the peak, others the duration of the peak, others further by performance over the entire career. Like the age old Judd v Hodge who is better argument. Who was the better AFL player purely in 2018? At what point do the 2017, 18, 19's add up to eclipse the '04 differential? Do they ever? As with any complicated decision, we pick what we like best and then seek data to back that emotional decision up.

I personally think Burgoyne has been better at Hawthorn because I've watched him more there. And Hawthorn are great and Port are not. So :p to them.

(Knees are shot, will never play again, at least to the level he was, wasn't that good anyway, only got AA because Lade kept knocking it down his throat, Hawf rucks are shite so he won't impact) - yes thankyou random Port fan I used to work with.

Last edited:
The argument could be that he was a better team player at th Hawks, in playing his role as the coach wanted which was better for the team.
Which allowed the situation of break glass in emergency for when he went into the middle.
This use of him which was better for the hawks also had the benefit of extending his career as he wasn't flogged in the middle week in week out.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Taping is actually pretty ineffective after about 10 minutes. It doesn’t protect against injury as much as we have previously believed but it can help psychologically and give a player more confidence. I believe tape is used far too much, we would be much better putting our resources into strength and conditioning as a measure to prevent injuries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Between taping and tattoos every player in the league has a reason to shave or wax off all their body hair...

I know you’re joking, but it shows what a nonsense the AA’s are.

Burgoyne is pretty much the greatest clutch player in history*, amazing skills and footy brain particularly under pressure, but he’s only got one AA.

He’ll win you a premiership, but he can’t win an AA.

* P.s. a couple of other Hawks in this category.

Since arriving on one leg and then looking at what he achieved soon after, I have no qualms in saying that his Hawthorn career is on par and in some cases greater then when he was with Port. If he’d of been drafted by Hawthorn and then traded to Port afterwards then I’d say it would’ve been a different ending to his career than the one he’s had so far.

Case in point is that WHENEVER we were in a pickle who did Clarko insert as a utility to fix things to help us come back? Middle, back, forward, wing say no more ‘oi Shauny go do what you do champ’...boom!

F095234E-1B4E-474F-84C8-CA151DC1A699.jpeg

Last edited:
I personally think Burgoyne has been better at Hawthorn because I've watched him more there. And Hawthorn are great and Port are not. So :p to them.

(Knees are shot, will never play again, at least to the level he was, wasn't that good anyway, only got AA because Lade kept knocking it down his throat, Hawf rucks are shite so he won't impact) - yes thankyou random Port fan I used to work with.
The Lade-Burgoyne combination was exceptional & quite underrated IMHO. They really did have a great understanding. Though I remember several times before Ceglar did his knee that he & Burgoyne were getting that sort of understanding really going. The clean Burgoyne clearance is a thing of footballing beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back