B Section 2010 - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, the Hampton posters on here a pretty quiet....

a well deserved win by your boys briza. i'm assuming they're your boys and not beders. you appear to have a foot in both camps.:confused: skobs were cleaner by hand and foot and much more efficient in the forward half. at about the half way mark i'd say it's o.i and skobs then a gap to 3 or 4 others. o.i are still the team to beat from what i've seen. they looked quick and well drilled against rovers and their high priced recruit;)didn't do much that day.

is 'king' your guys permanent home or is somewhere like the re-done glenferrie oval in prospect?

$5 IS POOR FORM INDEED!

BIT TOUCHY WITH ST KEVS OLD BOY!

THE EYE

:(

Have to be the worst consecutive post in BF history. Massive game for the SKOB on the weekend vs. Uni. Any insight Grif about how the pitters got over them. has been a bit of a grudge match in recent years with some cattle changing hands and bit of biffo.

is 'king' your guys permanent home or is somewhere like the re-done glenferrie oval in prospect?
The King it is, with some major reno's to come to the pavilion, about 400K's worth. Thought you guys were ok, disagree with MIO's assessment of Terech, he is a brainless thug, another who needs to be chopped from HR if you are to be seen as a clean ball playing club.

A great day for Luke Mahoney, who certainly took up the slack in the midfield with Coughlan not playing.

I had a job in Bentleigh so I dropped in to have a squiz at the Oakleigh v Old Haileybury clash on Sat. There wasn’t much in it on the scoreboard while I was there but O.H looked classier. Bigger as well with Ford taking a number of big grabs. Gotta hand it to Oakleigh they really have a crack. One thing that had me buffaloed was why Voss was allowed to roam around as a loose man in the back half, wandering up forward when he felt like it unmanned.

P.S Lerve your work Watchful.

The King it is, with some major reno's to come to the pavilion, about 400K's worth. Thought you guys were ok, disagree with MIO's assessment of Terech, he is a brainless thug, another who needs to be chopped from HR if you are to be seen as a clean ball playing club.

A great day for Luke Mahoney, who certainly took up the slack in the midfield with Coughlan not playing.

Maybe they should wear pink dresses, bibs and nail polish mr Speaking....

Is anyone at HR going to change the way they are playing cause a few retired geriatrics with a computer say they are a little rough..

Would expect better from you BS...too much time on your hands old boy!!

Just a little something to help the tipsters for this week as we round out the first half of the season - earlier on in the year - MHSOB defeated Old Essendon 17.12-114 to 12.9-81 who defeated Old Carey 11.14-80 to 8.16-64 who defeated St Kevins 22.13-145 to 13.5-83 who defeated St Bernards 12.16-88 to 9.10-64 who defeated Old Ivanhoe 18.15-123 to 15.9-99 who defeated Uni Blacks 15.11-101 to 10.13-73 who defeated Old Haileybury 12.18-90 to 13.7-85 who defeated Hampton Rovers 24.17-161 to 17.11-113 who defeated Oakleigh 16.17-113 to 8.15-63 who defeated MHSOB 25.15-165 to 1.12-18.

Anyone care to tip the premiers?

Just a little something to help the tipsters for this week as we round out the first half of the season - earlier on in the year - MHSOB defeated Old Essendon 17.12-114 to 12.9-81 who defeated Old Carey 11.14-80 to 8.16-64 who defeated St Kevins 22.13-145 to 13.5-83 who defeated St Bernards 12.16-88 to 9.10-64 who defeated Old Ivanhoe 18.15-123 to 15.9-99 who defeated Uni Blacks 15.11-101 to 10.13-73 who defeated Old Haileybury 12.18-90 to 13.7-85 who defeated Hampton Rovers 24.17-161 to 17.11-113 who defeated Oakleigh 16.17-113 to 8.15-63 who defeated MHSOB 25.15-165 to 1.12-18.

well done

think youve made your point quite clear

its anyones ball game from 8th spot up

Maybe they should wear pink dresses, bibs and nail polish mr Speaking....

Is anyone at HR going to change the way they are playing cause a few retired geriatrics with a computer say they are a little rough..

Would expect better from you BS...too much time on your hands old boy!!
Sorry Ryeboy, I thought behind the play thuggery was something that no one condoned, duly noted that you do.

Sorry Ryeboy, I thought behind the play thuggery was something that no one condoned, duly noted that you do.

Now, Now Briza. We all know the big T-Rex has a short fuse and makes himself an easy target for pests, but he doesn't go around belting blokes willy nilly. Certainly needs to control himself a bit better when provoked, but thuggery is a little over the top.

Does someone want to have a crack at the old chestnut of the standard of footy at the top of B grade compared to the standard of footy at the bottom of A grade this year?? I’ll start off but to be honest my views are all over the place like a mad woman’s sh*t on this one so be interested in hearing the proverbial for and against from the “mob”….

The argument that the bottom of A is weaker than the top of B can be mounted, in particular this year, with the relative success of the previous 2 promoted clubs (OM’s and OT’s) after a substantial part of the season has been completed . Further supporting this argument is that OT’s didn’t finish top 2 last year and so you could argue that the other clubs that finished above them on the ladder after the H&A season could have expected to perform equally well if not better than they have (not disputing OT’s rights to be in A grade for 1 second here – they won when it counted end of discussion). As a point both those teams are again there abouts so they have managed to keep the teams together and continue to play good footy. Lastly is the fact that OE have struggled so much this year and you would have to say that Marc are travelling the same direction this year as OE were last year so you could suggest they are below the level of most teams in B grade as it stands (understanding that injuries have ravaged a proud footy club and no disrespect intended with the comment)

The counter argument is that the system has and does work with regards to relegating 20% of the comp every year so there is plenty of opportunity for teams to find their natural levels. Further, the yoyo effect is alive and well with plenty of examples in recent history of clubs going up and down on more than 1 occasion which suggests it’s hard to rise to the top level for clubs. There are of course exceptions to this (St Bede’s, OC, DLS) however they are not the norm. The other strong point is that the best footballers want to play in the best comp normally and hence you have a lot higher level of footballer in A grade than B. This is probably truer across the bottom 6 senior players in the respective teams as there are high profile players in B grade who would undoubtly fit into any team in A grade. It is after all the bottom 6 that will determine how deep you bat in September!!

For mine I think the top 4 in B would be competitive with the bottom 6 in A grade but the thing that would catch out most clubs is depth. Clubs in A grade normally have at least a couple of genuine superstars that are out and out game winners. Sometime these guys arrive as a recruit to top up clubs, sometimes home grown but they allow clubs to bat a lot deeper and make competition for spots 15-21 a lot harder. Perhaps a good indication would be the results from the B ressies against the A ressies to test this argument?? Therefore you might have to make a club by club assessment on the strength of the club as a whole (Carey/OH vs StB/UB for example) to make a judgement call?

Told you – all over the place!! Anyway, be interested to hear people’s thoughts and views on it…..

thats a ripping post. finally someone has something informative and humorous to offer. and $5 a beer is NOT standard!!!!! its a disgrace. I wonder how many young fellas/students go back to the club for a beer at those prices. id rather sit at home and drink with my cat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standard of B Grade

Based on my observations solely:-

St.Kevins - Not enough talls, and probably underweight. Bottom 2
OH - If they have their VFL players, they would be equal to OM, OT, OS and OB
ST. Bern - Height would be a factor, again not tall enough. Bottom 2
OI - Height would be a factor, again not tall enough. Bottom 2
UBlacks - No Bolton, Equal with Marcellin
Old Carey - Depends which OC turns up. Bottom 2.
The rest would beat Marcellin, even OE.

The difference is that a club like OX has a FF called Dan Rush who hasn't played a senior game for 5 years, gets his chance in the 1's and he kicks 5. He would be FF in any B Grade team bar OI (Weatherley would be hard to displace). Name a 2's FF who could do that.

The desire and passion are no different from A Grade to B Grade (sue me), but it comes down to physicality.

A Grade on average would have 4-5 players over 6"3'
They would on average weight 5 kilo's per player ie Muscle.

The top 4 teams in B Grade would compete against the bottom 4 A Grade teams, they could steal a win from teams from 4-6, no chance against OX, Dela of Coll.

Fair call Max - like I said it’s a real curly one!!! I like your final summary a lot even if I have slightly different views of some of the teams strengths and weakness - it’s probably were I too sit on the issue....

"The top 4 teams in B Grade would compete against the bottom 4 A Grade teams, they could steal a win from teams from 4-6, no chance against OX, Dela of Coll."

How do you rate this years B grade compared to other years in terms of strength - for example I would say that the 07 year was strong with St B going on to win the A grade flag the following year although Blacks got smashed. Same goes with the 09 year with OM's a chance to pinch a finals spot (that’s what they would be thinking at this point) and OT's holding their own against popular belief.

In contrast 08 was not as strong with OE’s obviously disastrous year and Marc missing a bullet only for it to catch up with them this year by the looks.

I agree that the top A grade teams are a cut above and that the strength of the 2’s is the best indicator of a club’s strength (only OH have done it without a strong 2’s team but with obvious help from superstars before a quick drop).

But I do believe that the Rush example is a bit misleading as OX did paste OS in a top vs bottom team affair. There would be blokes who could kick goals for OI if they fronted up to MHS at the Pine Lodge I suspect. I think that that situation is more like Prismal or Williams scenario at the Bombers where in the Geelong and Hawthorn team respectively they were superstars however put them into a average team and the going gets harder. Another interesting example is the Pod – would he be as good at say Richmond as Geelong??

It is a real issue for B grade clubs to try and consolidate their success – that momentum is easily lost as OE are finding out the hard way!! The years spent stalled in B grade cost that team their best footy years

Good post Max. I have seen a fair bit of A Section this year and would say that the top 4 in B would be bottom 4, maybe 5 in A THIS YEAR. The top two could beat anyone on their day if Weatherly kicked 8 or Coughlan had 45 touches and realistically I think both could scratch out 6 wins this year. If Weatherly hadn't turned up at OI they would probably be 4-4. It would help St Kevin's if they had all 10 of their VFL players at once but that isn't going to happen either.
OH have no depth at all so would win 6 if they had no injuries and St Bernards are very young so may struggle to get to 6 wins.

Good post Max. I have seen a fair bit of A Section this year and would say that the top 4 in B would be bottom 4, maybe 5 in A THIS YEAR. The top two could beat anyone on their day if Weatherly kicked 8 or Coughlan had 45 touches and realistically I think both could scratch out 6 wins this year. If Weatherly hadn't turned up at OI they would probably be 4-4. It would help St Kevin's if they had all 10 of their VFL players at once but that isn't going to happen either.
OH have no depth at all so would win 6 if they had no injuries and St Bernards are very young so may struggle to get to 6 wins.

why was coughlan out on the weekend? injured?

after seeing all the sides in b grade (excpet carey) thus far i would rate OI ahead of the pack... simply because they gave me the impression that they could slam on 10 goals very very quickly and at any stage of the game.
i would rate us, skob, blacks, OH and hampton all pretty closely.
Bernards, Blacks and Skob have much better depth than OI and OH so this could be telling come years end

i played on dan rush a fair few years back... extremely hard to move off the spot once he plants his feet...

after seeing all the sides in b grade (excpet carey) thus far i would rate OI ahead of the pack... simply because they gave me the impression that they could slam on 10 goals very very quickly and at any stage of the game.
Bernards, Blacks and Skob have much better depth than OI and OH so this could be telling come years end

i played on dan rush a fair few years back... extremely hard to move off the spot once he plants his feet...

Hahaha - I've played on him as well ML and that is a pretty good description!! Had a bit of the Tomohawk man-child about him from memory...

Fortunately, and to some obviously, I never played on big Dan, but I do recall getting cleaned up by him a couple of times when stupidly trying to fill the hole as a dutiful defensive on-baller, and getting creamed in the process. Almost as bad as getting nailed by Big Foo from OH!

I agree it's tough to compare the likely fortunes of Premier B leading clubs and Premier grade stragglers. Often the club's prospects for success in getting promoted lie in the youth of their list when playing off in the GF. If you have a young side, then chances are they will stick together and relish the chance of attacking the top grade as a fairly consistent unit. I believe StBMT, De La and Collegians were all good examples of this when they scaled the 'big jump' easily.

When there's a few older heads, particularly filling critical structural roles, the lure of retiring on a GF/premiership can often mean they finish up or move on, leaving a bigger gap to fill. That's when it gets really tough.

Apologies for being AWOL last week, and letting my posting record lapse. I was trying to get a kiddy-fiddler off our streets and spent the majority of my week wearing those silly wig/gown combos, reading case law, police interview transcripts and preparing child witnesses rather than lurking here.

I will try to re-focus and return to the fold! :D

Umm, did you actually read the results on the weekend?
Coggers is out for the year with a knee.

Word around the ground last week was that coughlan had his final exams to become a qualified CA accountant, not sure if he's back this week or not. Couldn't agree more though about the $5 beers, was only $3 last year for a VB at Skob. Do all clubs have to serve Boags because of their sponsorship? surely Skob aren't serving that stuff by choice. Also Dan Rush isn't exactly your average 2's FF, has being suffering injuries for years and is genuine 1's player every day of the week when fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back