Scully 31

Debutant
Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Red Sox
Each and every week we have really slow starts which, when it occurs every week must come back to the coach.

Match ups were horrible. Grimes on Darling. A basketball coach could be ale to tell you that would only end badly

No plan B

Lack of defence

Bad selections, WCE has a massive forward line and we don’t pick enough talls. No Pettard means we lack fire power

We might fight back a bit from where we are but enough is enough and he needs to GO

Forget the lack of structure and baffling selections and lack of moves on matchday, and the simply awful starts to matches we always seem to have, It looks and feels like the players simply aren't playing for him. From what I've seen this year, I'm really questioning for the first time since Bailey came onboard, if the players are with him.

But agree with others, this thread shouldn't be started halfway through a match. At least wait until after the loss to raise this issue...

He seems to be quite prepared to accept what are simply unacceptable efforts. I think it's good to be balanced in your approach, you can't coach like Dean Laidley used to, in crisis mode all of the time, but when players are jogging around, or worse simply standing, a rocket has to be delivered. Whatever Bailey is taking, I'd like to get my hands on some of it. Maybe he's coaching in the k-hold?!

Forget the lack of structure and baffling selections and lack of moves on matchday, and the simply awful starts to matches we always seem to have, It looks and feels like the players simply aren't playing for him. From what I've seen this year, I'm really questioning for the first time since Bailey came onboard, if the players are with him.

I agree with this somewhat. The desperation of last year isn't there. It reminds me of Essendon when they lost faith in Knight's gameplan. I've a feeling our boys have done the same.

This scenario is emerging as a real possibility. After the Hawthorn game I thought something "wasn't right" but couldn't put my finger on it - after all it was so early in the season but as games go on they definitely don't look like they have any real belief or understanding in what they are trying to do. Are we just going through the motions out there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

man i wanted the dees to win tonight.... didnt give a yelp. questions have to be asked :(
Yes , it is a massive concern. We seem to have gone backwards since last year.
FWIW, Kickett didn't punch him hard enough. ;)

Yes , it is a massive concern. We seem to have gone backwards since last year.
FWIW, Kickett didn't punch him hard enough. ;)

i have always had a soft spot for the dees, guys like jimmy stines dont deserve performances like that. hope you guys sort it out soon.... mick malthouse? ;)

heh, i was at the game, and saw that tosser come off bleeding and crying, adn remember thinking, kicketty, your beter than that....... a stretcher was in order ;) lol

I'm definitely moving into the sack Bailey camp for the first time ever. I've put up with all the aforementioned rubbish for a while, but the lack of intensity shown in nearly every match is killing me. When was the last first quarter we won bar the GC game? Or the last four quarter effort we put in? Over it. Fk him off.

I'm definitely moving into the sack Bailey camp for the first time ever. I've put up with all the aforementioned rubbish for a while, but the lack of intensity shown in nearly every match is killing me. When was the last first quarter we won bar the GC game? Or the last four quarter effort we put in? Over it. Fk him off.

Yeah, this is the first time I've started to question his position as senior coach.

I was absolutely baffled by our tactics in the first quarter, it seemed as if he applied some sort of total flood, and one which was utterly useless as WC's players still managed to find space to exploit. Then, of course, when we won the ball, because all of our players were in defence, the ball just came straight back in again.

It was painful to watch, and I think a combination of a strange gameplan and an indifferent approach to the game from the players was to blame for this performance.

Dean will need to turn things around soon, otherwise he will have not only lost a lot of the support he enjoys amongst the supporters, but also amongst the players and MFC staff as well.

Time will tell but I honestly think that Bailey needs to go. I was prepared to wait and see if he could coach, and after 3 full seasons and a handful of games this year I am now of the opinion its time to look elsewhere.

I can handle not being good enough but I can't handle watching the $hit that they have dished up this year. Last year we did make big strides forward, and I think our worst loss was about 7 goals but this year both our losses have been by more than that and and we haven't even been competitive in those games. The forward press is the way at the minute but we all know things change very quickly in this game, so I don't mind if we don't play that but I can tell you something that everyone else knows other than Bailey and that is the fact that you can not and will not win games of footy when the ball is constantly in your defensive 50 for the amount of time it currently is and coupled with the fact that the opposition gets the ball inside their 50 double the amount of times we do, along with contributing about 75%-80% of the opposition teams score from direct turnovers - YOU CANT F#*$ING WIN. You also need to have contingency plan(s) and Bailey certainly doesn't have a plan B or C.

Its probably a long shot but I would be chasing Malthouse. Pies have moved him on and really it is a waste of talent not having him coach. I have always rated him and he gets the absolute best out of his players which is what we need. It might cost 1.5m or so but it would be worth while, whilst we have all these so called gun youngsters to build with. We are debt free and need to spend cash and Malthouse has taken two teams from the bottom up. He likes a challenge and we are the oldest footy club in the world, haven't won a flag since the 1964 and I bet if they were to get him they would recover the cash spent on increased memberships, merchandise etc which comes with winning.

The other options would be Paul Roos, Todd Viney or Garry Lyon in the same way that Essendon surrounded Hird with the best right hand men in the game, but for me they should go really hard for Malthouse at whatever the cost it is... as long as he still has the hunger to coach on next year.

Thats my take on things and at the minute I am absolutely devastated and disgusted with what we are displaying!

I had $100 riding on this game for Melbourne to win.

What was served up is not even close to AFL standard and the truth is you were lucky to only lose by 54 and even more amazingly somehow only be down 24 at half time.

I like the Melbourne that chooses the corridor, backs themselves in and takes the game on. That team is exciting to watch, final 8 candidates and a team all supporters of football can enjoy.

Last night was a 2 steps back game.

Cant help but it was the type of game where there are problems internally because they simply didnt work for one another and coming off a bye 5 weeks in when you are doing ok points to problems.

Bailey needs to be held accountable or grow a pair and make senior players accountable.

i don't understand how he can coach from the dugout. I would think you'd need a higher vantage point to watch different positions and movement. Having little one on ones with players as they come off whilst the game is unfolding seems futile to me.

It is the same sh*t every week. The Bombers saw enough for 1 year and made the tough decision........why do we hang around? Why isn't there a press conference right now announcing Bailey has departed the club????????????????????

Jimmy, are you listening?

Completely agree, after three and half years of development the major issues still prevelant and as bad as the 08 days;

Kick ins, go long to a tall. No support at ground level if the ball is one, no target to kick to if we do mark or win the footy. If we turn it over there is no numbers back to support to bloke who kicked the ball in.

Defending kick ins, becuase we get players behind the ball there is less players pushing up the ground to implement a proper zone. It allows gaps for sides to move into and use the space. Once you back the first line a lot of players zoning across half back become useless and watch the ball fly over their head.

Slow starts, i'd like to know when we kicked the first goal of a game or ended up on the right side of the possesion count in the first 10 minutes. We are constantly blown out of the water and playing catch up.

Now for the most daming stat, inside 50 differentals. Which last night was embarrasing at 1/4 time 22 to 3 against the reining wooden spooners. Yes they have improved but by the much? Bailey's idea to get numbers back behind the play does not work on two fronts;

1) when we win the footy there are to many players at the contest which reults in 5 handballs within a 10 metre circle.

2) if by some miracle we do get the ball into space, becuase everyone is behind the ball this leave us with one or two options to kick to i.e jurrah or dunn etc. and they our outnumbered 4 or 3 to 1. This is becuase smarter sides set up a full ground press and have numbers back across the wing and our half forward line. End result turnover, another inside 50 and more often than not a shot on goal.

Our two losses this year have been flattering, we were soundly beaten all over the ground and was not truly reflected on the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey has to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back