Player Watch Best young Key Forwards -Curnow,Hipwood,Naughton,McKay, King Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably have the most contested marks i50 of the lot in fairness to you blokes, but jeez - he needs to sort that horrid kicking routine out. He could be anything if he gets it right, I hope he does otherwise he may soon find JUH to be the primary target.
Not this year. Is ranked equal-46th this year for contested marks, with just 5, from 4 games.

This thread is three years old and we can rule out a few as not being young anymore.
24yo is prime, definitely not young anymore.

Curnow is 25 ❌
Hipwood is 24❌
Naughton is 22, he still counts ✅
McKay is 24❌
King brother are 21, they count✅✅
Larkey is nearly 24 but we'll count him❗

So we're left with a pretty small list. Who else can be added though? Gotta be 23 or under.

Mitchell Lewis is 23. Turns 24 after the end of the season. has 12 goals from 4 games. 11 contested marks too. Should have had 5 or 6 goals on the weekend from his 8 shots. Went from 9 goals 1 to 12 goals 6.

I still rate Ben King the best of the lot

Lewis should have had 5 or 6 goals on the weekend from his 8 shots. Went from 9 goals 1 to 12 goals 6.
One of his shots was a rushed snap that was never a chance of going through, because he wasn’t able to get his body turned anywhere near enough for it to get as far back as it needed to to go through, and at least two of his other shots were from around the boundary, and at least 40m out (after Howard seemed to let him go out there pretty much on his own, so that he could stay in the dangerous area in front of goal, knowing that even if Lewis marked out there, the chance of him nailing the goal afterwards was pretty slim), so those 3 at a minimum were goals that I definitely wouldn’t agree he “should” have kicked.

Its a good thing the season doesn't last just 4 games. He'll be high up in the contested mark rankings by the end of the year again like he already has done a few times.
Wow, touchy. None of that has anything to do with my post, which was in response to an assertion that he “probably has the most contested marks inside 50 of the lot”, which is clearly not going to be the case, given how few contested marks he’s taken in total.

One of his shots was a rushed snap that was never a chance of going through, because he wasn’t able to get his body turned anywhere near enough for it to get as far back as it needed to to go through, and at least two of his other shots were from around the boundary, and at least 40m out (after Howard seemed to let him go out there pretty much on his own, so that he could stay in the dangerous area in front of goal, knowing that even if Lewis marked out there, the chance of him nailing the goal afterwards was pretty slim), so those 3 at a minimum were goals that I definitely wouldn’t agree he “should” have kicked.
“Should” because he’s usually a very good kick at goal.

Last edited:
Not sure what all that has to do with Mitch Lewis being 1 of the best young forwards in the comp which he currently is. He is getting the ball consistently and looks super dangerous every time it goes near him.

Best key forward in the comp (age 24 plus)

1. Buddy. He might be 35 but he's been the pre eminent big forward for 15 years. Kicked 51 goals in 18 games last year, including 2 bags of 6. Still the spearhead in a finals team and kicked 3 goals in a final last year. He's top dog until someone grabs it off him.

2. Hawkins- Mr Consistent. Has kicked 46 goals or more for TEN straight seasons and on track to make it 11

3. Cameron

4. McKay- reigning Coleman medallist with 58 goals in 19 games but needs to do it more consistently before I declare him a better player

5. Riewoldt

Putting Naughton in this conversation is premature given his best season he averaged less than 2 goals a game- the above guys (except McKay) have been doing that for 10 years and still doing it

Then best youngsters 23 and under

The under 23 group should be rated based on potential in combination with what they've achieved to date

1. Max King- as he's a better contested mark than his bro, plus right now you'd say his health is advantageous compared to Ben who will miss a year

2. Ben King

3. Daylight. With apologies to the others like Naughton, Georgiades, Allen etc, I don't see quite the same potential in those guys
Must really bother you and your selective stats when Naughton kicks 5 goals again for the 4th time in his career, when Max King has only done it twice.

(BTW I think Max is also a gun but just love how desperate you are to can every other young player to talk him up)

Must really bother you and your selective stats when Naughton kicks 5 goals again for the 4th time in his career, when Max King has only done it twice.
When was this?

Not the annual VFL game on Good Friday?

This wasn't the same game Josh Bruce kicked 10 last year was it, after kicking 14 the entire previous season?

Last edited:
When was this?

Not the annual VFL game on Good Friday?

This wasn't the same game Josh Bruce kicked 10 last year was it, after kicking 14 the entire previous season?
Just more evidence of your selective bias to prove my point.

Naughton kicks 5 goals against 4 different opponents, ignore it he obviously has no potential, clearly just vfl games. King kicks 4 goals in a game a few times including quite a few late when games are mostly done and he's the next Plugger.

Both are guns, you just strangely prefer to put one of them down to make the other look better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best key forward in the comp (age 24 plus)

1. Buddy. He might be 35 but he's been the pre eminent big forward for 15 years. Kicked 51 goals in 18 games last year, including 2 bags of 6. Still the spearhead in a finals team and kicked 3 goals in a final last year. He's top dog until someone grabs it off him.

2. Hawkins- Mr Consistent. Has kicked 46 goals or more for TEN straight seasons and on track to make it 11

3. Cameron

4. McKay- reigning Coleman medallist with 58 goals in 19 games but needs to do it more consistently before I declare him a better player

5. Riewoldt

Putting Naughton in this conversation is premature given his best season he averaged less than 2 goals a game- the above guys (except McKay) have been doing that for 10 years and still doing it

Then best youngsters 23 and under

The under 23 group should be rated based on potential in combination with what they've achieved to date

1. Max King- as he's a better contested mark than his bro, plus right now you'd say his health is advantageous compared to Ben who will miss a year

2. Ben King

3. Daylight. With apologies to the others like Naughton, Georgiades, Allen etc, I don't see quite the same potential in those guys
buddy is a top 3 player of the past 2 decades...but at his old age hes no longer the best fwd

Naughton kicks 5 goals against 4 different opponents, ignore it he obviously has no potential, clearly just vfl games.
Plenty of potential.

But I think both Kings have more.

Naughton's a year older with an extra 40 games under his belt. He's played double the games King has- he should be doing better at this stage. But he's not.

King's impact has been bigger since the middle of last year.

You sure about that. He should be leading the Coleman this year if he kicks straight.
Then he should have kicked straight, Lewis is a very good prospect. He can end up alongside these other players if he keeps developing, but the others have a lot more runs on the board and are rightly ahead of him.

Plenty of potential.

But I think both Kings have more.

Naughton's a year older with an extra 40 games under his belt. He's played double the games King has- he should be doing better at this stage. But he's not.

King's impact has been bigger since the middle of last year.
Yet again you twist the truth. Naughton is 7 months older. And has played 40 odd games which includes 18 in defence in his first year, he started as a forward at the same time as King. Development is also not linear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Best young Key Forwards -Curnow,Hipwood,Naughton,McKay, King Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back