Mega Thread BH Project 2015 VI - Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or SEN reporters hang out around here

I honestly think that is what it is.

When these blokes are running a bit slow they go to boards like this and look for blokes like T71 that people say are generally on the money. Then when they do their hour segment that day they say "im hearing", which doesn't really commit them to anything.

Pretty sure 'we' never said we had a 'war chest', that was the media. I think we just said we have room in the cap.
Yep, maybe not the exact terminology used by the club but we certainly have made it clear we are on the hunt. I think in hindsight they should have just kept a low profile if possible.

I think we should go over the top for Treloar. It's like an Auction. Sometimes when you really want the house, you bid over what you wanted to. As long as it fits in with our TPP I don't care if they up the ante. If anything it will force Collingwood to up their bid and put pressure on their cap removing them from future trades.

Would have to be a nominal pick. Miles got games at GWS, Josh Kennedy wanted more opportunities with guns in front of him. Colledge should really have got more games with West Coast who have had plenty of injuries so it doesn't give me great confidence.

Miles had played 10 games, Colledge has played 3. Wouldn't say that's too much of a difference, especially considering Miles was playing in a team getting smashed every week. I'm not suggesting Colledge will be as good as Miles, but a 4th round pick for him is fine. Making the transition from a key forward, to an occasional swingman to a full-time midfielder, when the Eagles have strong inside players, isn't going to be easy.

Correct which is why, you with no clue will keep harping on about paying overs for two spuds who you rate too highly.

How old are you 12?

Yarran and Henderson didn't have great seasons because they checked out from the rabble that is Carlton, which is why you would be able to bundle them for 12 and 31. But to suggest they are spuds and don't have talent is moronic. Going on your overrating of draft picks...these "spuds" were drafted at 6 and 8 and much stronger drafts and have shown they can play high quality football at AFL level. This draft is rated very poorly and hence why you see the better recruiters at the Pies/Cats trading out this year.

Yarran cops tags from AFL coaches including our own regularly...what a waste of a tagger on a spud!

Lachie Henderson has gloved Riewoldt on numerous occasions and went forward this year for a game and kicked 5.

No doubt you will come back with "they're spuds"

Out of curiosity what do you think each is worth?
packet+of+chips.jpg

In all seriousness I don't really rate either of them. At mid 20's and 100 plus games a player should not have to rely on "potential" "at his best" "shown signs" to up his market rate. Henderson (although the market will suggest he is worth more) is only worth a second rounder and I can't give a price on Yarran because I think so low of him as a Player.

I think we should go over the top for Treloar. It's like an Auction. Sometimes when you really want the house, you bid over what you wanted to. As long as it fits in with our TPP I don't care if they up the ante. If anything it will force Collingwood to up their bid and put pressure on their cap removing them form future trades.

I agree...gotta pay overs to get blokes in.

How old are you 12?

Yarran and Henderson didn't have great seasons because they checked out from the rabble that is Carlton, which is why you would be able to bundle them for 12 and 31. But to suggest they are spuds and don't have talent is moronic. Going on your overrating of draft picks...these "spuds" were drafted at 6 and 8 and much stronger drafts and have shown they can play high quality football at AFL level. This draft is rated very poorly and hence why you see the better recruiters at the Pies/Cats trading out this year.

Yarran cops tags from AFL coaches including our own regularly...what a waste of a tagger on a spud!

Lachie Henderson has gloved Riewoldt on numerous occasions and went forward this year for a game and kicked 5.

No doubt you will come back with "they're spuds"
How old are you is the key to this discussion. Who cares where they went in their draft years. Tamblin went 3, JON went 8. Would you give up picks 12 and 31 for them this year. They are both in their mid 20's and have close to 120 games each. Players at that age and experience shouldn't have their market value upped because of what they may achieve if they play at their best.

The way they both played and carried on this year, is testiment to what weak characters they are and that alone should be a red flag of do not want and do not need.

This year is not a weak draft in the first 30 odd picks. From hanging around the drafts board for the first round it is supposedly at least as good as last year, maybe better. Where it is weak is that after about 35 it drops off to rookie types. So third round and later are effectively worth very little compared to most years. Our first is a very good pick - should net a top 10 worthy player. Our second is decent, about average. After that .....

In summary, for trading our first this year is worth a lot. Our second a bit and then nothing. People keep commenting that our first is worth less than usual because it is a 'weak draft'. This is WRONG. I would argue it is worth more than usual simply because the draft has little depth, so if you are in the draft in 2015 you want first or early second round picks. You should be willing to pay overs to avoid later picks. And our pick 12 is in the middle of a group of guys of fairly equal worth. There isn't much between 8 and 15 from what I have read. Our ability to trade for A graders is fairly strong this year compared to other years. Especially as we can package in 2016. Our ability to offer something decent for a B grader is low this year. So the depth type players could have a hard time being traded this year as the picks usually used on them aren't worth much this year.

End rant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way they both played and carried on this year, is testiment to what weak characters they are and that alone should be a red flag of do not want and do not need.
On the other hand there have been many players who have been given a second chance by another club that have improved their performances immeasurably when given that chance. Garlett did nothing last year for the blues but kicked over 40 goals for the dees this year. Sometimes they just need a change of environment.

Would you guys entertain a swap of Lennon and pick 12 for pick 5 and 24?

That way St Kilda can use 12 for Carlisle and we improve our draft position considerably

Pick 24 would also get us Yarran

Lennon and 12
for
Pick 5 and Yarran

On the other hand there have been many players who have been given a second chance by another club that have improved their performances immeasurably when given that chance. Garlett did nothing last year for the blues but kicked over 40 goals for the dees this year. Sometimes they just need a change of environment.
How much did Garlett cost the dee's?

The discussion is on their worth and it aint picks 12 and 31. Especially when that will skew the age demograpic of the list even more after the club (maybe) loses their only 18 year old taken in the 2013 draft.

Listening to SEN's podcast of the run home from last night Brett Anderson again says word is Richmond has a big deal going but despite all efforts no one can find out who this player is...

Looks like we aren't the only ones hanging out for the doozy's identity. :D

I swear to god... this Brett Anderson better be right... because he's making me....

05771ed8f7cf6fa8d38cf7f1705c27f0.jpg

This thread has gone form bad to worse. Time for..................

BH Project 2015 VII - Trade and Free Agency Discussion
We'll close up tonight, Free Agency starts tomorrow and we'll be a bit more strict about things

This year is not a weak draft in the first 30 odd picks. From hanging around the drafts board for the first round it is supposedly at least as good as last year, maybe better. Where it is weak is that after about 35 it drops off to rookie types. So third round and later are effectively worth very little compared to most years. Our first is a very good pick - should net a top 10 worthy player. Our second is decent, about average. After that .....

In summary, for trading our first this year is worth a lot. Our second a bit and then nothing. People keep commenting that our first is worth less than usual because it is a 'weak draft'. This is WRONG. I would argue it is worth more than usual simply because the draft has little depth, so if you are in the draft in 2015 you want first or early second round picks. You should be willing to pay overs to avoid later picks. And our pick 12 is in the middle of a group of guys of fairly equal worth. There isn't much between 8 and 15 from what I have read. Our ability to trade for A graders is fairly strong this year compared to other years. Especially as we can package in 2016. Our ability to offer something decent for a B grader is low this year. So the depth type players could have a hard time being traded this year as the picks usually used on them aren't worth much this year.

End rant.

Dunno. What I've seen of even the top juniors this year hasn't filled me with confidence, unlike previous years. There are a few gems obviously, like any year, but even at pick 12 I'm not sure we'll be getting a prodigious talent in.

How much did Garlett cost the dee's?

The discussion is on their worth and it aint picks 12 and 31. Especially when that will skew the age demograpic of the list even more after the club (maybe) loses their only 18 year old taken in the 2013 draft.
But you pointed to their character as reflected the way they played this year. I am just pointing out that players are like other humans in jobs. Sometimes the politics of their workplace does not allow them to perform. You cannot always interpret that as "weak character" unless you know the details about their issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back