Opinion Big bodied inside mids. Who would be in our top 5 since our last finals win in 2004?

Remove this Banner Ad

MattyB3150

Team Captain
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
We all know we desperetaly need several big bodied inside mids. Surely this has to be one of our priorities in this upcoming draft. I can't believe we have not focused on this over the years.

Since our last finals win in 2004 tell me who you think would be our top 5. Jobe Watson would have to be at 1...and Jason Johnson although near his end at this time would probably still be 2nd on the list?

Can't even think of 5... So sad.

That’s not just “big bodied” mids. We’ve actually always had weak midfields in general. Even that incredible 2000 team, the weakness was the midfield. It was workmanlike more than anything else.

I’m talking in generalities but almost all premiership teams have at least two mids who are AA standard or bloody close to it.

Aside from Jobe, we’ve basically just had Johnson, Merrett and Heppell have one each. And never at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was huge, didn't rack up the numbers but he was usually effective when he had the footy.

Was bloody good in 2011. Got a lot of the ball, a stack of clearances and stack of tackles. Was a beast on the inside, usually while also blanketing an opposition gun. He was just about our best/most important player after Jobe.

Other years he was mostly a good tagger, but for a while there he was a lot more.

Tom Hislop.

Craig Bird went alright as someone we took to feel better about losing Carlisle.

Adam Cooney won a brownlow.

This thread is great as there are so many sarcastic ways to respond.

1.Francis
2. Langford
3. Steinberg
4. Laverde
5. Ridley

I'm not even sure we have had 5:

1. Watson
2. JJ (but that's really pre 2004)
3. Myers
4. Hocking
5. ??? Peveril/Stanton/Goddard ???

Last edited:
What gets me is that some teams have two or 3 quality inside mids/big bodied mids/tall mids playing at the same time. We have to go back a decade to try and put 2 together. Even some that overlapped didn't hit their peak at the same time.

Dogs: Bont, Dunkley and Macrae
Fremantle: Fyfe and Neale (before he left)
Melbourne: Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw
Adelaide: Crouch and Sloane
Geelong: Selwood, Danger and Kelly
Richmond: Martin, Prestia and Cotchin
Collingwood: Treloar, Adams and Pendlebury

Our inside mid in Heppell isn't even playing in his best position.

Last edited:
Yeah there are precious few unfortunately. Jobe out in front by a country mile of course, in terms of the proper big bodied mids. Hocking is underrated, in his pomp he was a very decent player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back