Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to an interview with Conor McKenna from Essendon where he talked about paying a half of Gaelic footy during his first preseason. Essendon called him afterwards apparently, and in the interview Conor spoke about learning what it means to be a professional footballer.

I listened to an interview with Conor McKenna from Essendon and I didn't understand anything he said....

Let's be honest the chances of Byrne making it in the AFL are quite slim. He is only getting a game because we are a rabble. He's no Zach Tuohy.

If his head/heart isn't in it, then best for all parties to just cut ties.
Depends what you mean by 'make it', imo he's already shown he's up to the level.

I'm not a fan of Nick Smith but why is a contract an inhibitor?

Seems that most players we are interested in this year are contracted.
Generally a contract inhibits someone's free agency status, which is what his post is referring to.

I listened to an interview with Conor McKenna from Essendon where he talked about paying a half of Gaelic footy during his first preseason. Essendon called him afterwards apparently, and in the interview Conor spoke about learning what it means to be a professional footballer.

Apparently we don't teach our players that same lesson. How long has Ciaran been on our list now? 5 years?
Did you miss the rumour about him not coming back?

Apparently we don't teach our players that same lesson. How long has Ciaran been on our list now? 5 years?
Zach did it as well when he was playing for us a few years back

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/irish-...lub-win-9th-laois-county-title-in-a-row-45833

Michael Jordan wanted to play pick-up games, leagues, exhibition, anytime, anywhere. So much so that he got the clause included in his contract. I consider him to be plenty professional.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Jordan wanted to play pick-up games, leagues, exhibition, anytime, anywhere. So much so that he got the clause included in his contract. I consider him to be plenty professional.

Different sport.

NBA basketball players are actually expected to play those games in the off season. If you look it up there's footage of Ben Simmons playing local basketball last year. It's fun to watch.

I would give next year's first round pick for McGovern and wayne millera. I rate MILLERA Highly. Bookmark this because he is going to have a breakout season enxt year
I wanted him instead of McKay so have always followed him abit because I was a big fan. Really started to come into his own in the second half of the season.

Different sport.

NBA basketball players are actually expected to play those games in the off season. If you look it up there's footage of Ben Simmons playing local basketball last year. It's fun to watch.

Different in that more body contact that Gaelic?

The Bulls went a long way to try and ban him from playing in the off-season - specially coming off that potential career ending foot injury.

Also, playing against other pros and college players in the off-season is a tad of a step from playing local league.

Anyway, my original response was towards the questioning of someone’s professionalism based on an aggregation of an interview given by another player.

He wanted to play you and he wanted to destroy you.

The ultimate sporting assassin.

I know we all love Ciaran but am I the only one who thinks it's unprofessional for him to play Gaelic footy during the off season? Especially given his injury history.
As I understand it, it was a semi-final for a county cup. To put it into context, imagine Dangerfield playing a quarter for Angelsea in a prelim.

Louth as a county has barely won a thing in its history, and St Mochta's (the team in question) has never won this tournament, so it seems that with about 50 or 60 minutes of football total, Ciaran gets to lift the spirits of his local town and also put them through to a national cup for local clubs.

If that's a bucket list thing for Ciaran, I don't see why you'd stop him. Even if he wants to keep going and have a crack with making the team for Louth and pushing at a national level in a major competition

Maybe they do have to...

Maybe GC don't accept a future pick in the late teens and a current second rounder (which they already have a few of, to go with 3x first rounders) for a contracted, 26yo KPP who happens to be their captain.

Pick 5 is overs. I'll grant you that. Maybe GC are happy to add a late second into the mix given their bevy of picks. But at the end of the day, when your premiership window is wide open, paying a little over market value for a player that provides exactly what you're lacking isn't just OK, it's probably necessary.

May at full back, Frost on the second tall, leaving Lever to play his ideal loose intercept role. That's what Melbourne would be thinking about. And giving up Smith or King for that isn't a bad deal. Especially seeing as they're only getting pick 5 by letting Hogan go. Hogan (24yo key forward with spotty form, injury issues and shaky commitment) for May (26yo key defender, club captain, good for a suspension a year). If Melbourne can cover Hogan (McDonald, Weideman, Preuss?) then it's smart list management in my book.
You've distilled my comments into a choice between Melbourne using pick 5 in a trade with Gold Coast, or using a future first and this year's second, which is not smart at all.

As you've pointed out, Gold Coast already have a swag of draft picks, with as many as 8 quality players looking to leave, so yes they want high picks, but they also want players. They've got picks 2, 3, 17/18, 26, 29, 38 and 41 in the bag, plus the special concessions, so I'm sure they'd love your proposed trade, but they'd also love senior reinforcements.

If Melbourne's smart, they'll use their other picks and their existing list to work opportunities with a third party to help Gold Coast get the picks and/or players that satisfy them to hand May over to them.

Why, you ask? Because May plus Smith or Rankine for 2019 is better than May plus Collier-Dawkins for 2019. If a team wants to give you a top 6 pick in this draft for a player you can't retain, you say 'sure', shake their hand, and keep walking until you're out of their sight. At that point, you run for the hills before they realise what's happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back