Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It literally started with Kornes reading out a quote from SOS in response to the Gibbs trade being sprung in 2017, saying something to the effect of "he's a required player and a contracted player so overs will need to be paid", followed by the question "Has this quote come back to haunt Carlton!?".

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

McGovern is not a required player for adelaide though.

And look, I’m happy to take your perspective. But it still doesn’t overcome the problem that Judd was apparently saying the deal was off if Fev wasn’t at the club. So the rest of it becomes moot right there.
Fevola was never on the table... So the speculation, moot to start with. I just answered a question of revisiting getting Judd and re-visited my thinking at the time... Fev lovers just have nose out of joint at thought. I loved Fev in a way too but also saw his flaws and many a time was sick of them for our team. I remember thinking at time, Fev as part of trade deal was no brainer. But club never offered him, so all moot to start with..
We got Judd, never offered Fev. Both retired and we gave away a pointy end pick key forward prospect we had already put good time into. We were a really dumb club at time. Thank **** that regime is gone and we got totally different approach now. Cannot wait to get Walsh or a Lukosias or a Rankine and if we get Shiel too with next years 1st rounder, even better.

Last edited:

If we trade pick one for the three mentioned players than we've blinked and botched the rebuild. Scully is 28 coming off a broken ankle on a million dollar salary. We won't be winning a premiership in the next two years so it makes little sense. Get Walsh this year and trade a future first and Jones for Shiel and Setterfield. GWS need the cap space.
Botch the rebuild think thats a bit dramatic .
Èither scenario will make us stronger .

We didn't put any development into Kennedy, he just happened to be on the list for 2 years, and we got great value for Fevola, it is just what we did with the pick that sucked.

Wrong. We put development into Kennedy. I remember the no 5 working away at his craft and liked what I saw. It is like saying we put no development into Harry McKay now. It is not lost on me some actually believe that too.

If that's the deal GWS are coming to us with, they are obviously very keen to get their hands on pick 1.

Counter offer them.

Okay. You can have pick 1, and you can also have our 2019 first round pick. But change Scullys name to Taranto.

Shiel, Taranto and Settlefield for pick 1 and, 2019 first round pick.

If that's the deal GWS are coming to us with, they are obviously very keen to get their hands on pick 1.

Counter offer them.

Okay. You can have pick 1, and you can also have our 2019 first round pick. But change Scullys name to Taranto.

Boom, there's a deal you'd go for

Counter offer them.

Where do I sign ?
Happy to give up Walsh for Taranto plus Setterfield...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who are adamant of keeping pick 1. If you could go back in time to the Judd deal, would you keep Kennedy or Pick 1 (Krueze)?

Yes, I would keep Kennedy and draft Trent Cotchin instead of Krueze. West Coast won the Judd trade.

I want Sam Walsh at Carlton. We must keep pick 1.

It's also as if people think by trading this one draft pick we are going for a quick fix and sacrificing young talent...despite us having a high amount of young talent already.

People do realise we will still go to the draft with other picks and that later picks can also become gun afl players right?
Agree Its one pick into what will be the 4th year of our rebuild bit of dramatisation going on with regard to pick 1 being traded .
Having said that im not that keen on Scully but i will put my trust in the list management team we now have .

Scully is one of those lightly framed types who tend to play good footy well into their 30's. Though he has just had some serious injuries, he's a quality and experienced player. I would be thinking that he and Setterfield may be cheaper than a lot of us are thinking. A young player with an injury history who has only been injured for his two years in the system, generally they are delisted or close to it, perhaps worth pick 30-45. Scully has only been out one season but it was all season so who knows, they are under pressure to offload and we have some decent picks to trade. Setterfield is not really much different to someone like Pickett or Sumner who were just thrown in there and a late pick. Wouldn't be surprised if pick 24 plus a future first gets Shiel, Setterfield and perhaps Scully.

Yes, I would keep Kennedy and draft Trent Cotchin instead of Krueze. West Coast won the Judd trade.

In retrospect, yes. There's a few learnings... I doubt any midfielder is worth a top 5 pick KPF and another top 5 pick ever again. I doubt a ruckman is going at pick 1 ever again either. We did what we did, Judd was amazing, ultimately it didn't work out the way we wanted. Less so because of this deal in isolation, though, more due to poor list mgt and drafting around this.

I think the other lesson to be at least considered from this is that whilst it's exciting when a top trade target "chooses" us, the most important thing is still the price we pay. Shiel wanting Carlton would be awesome - he's a good player and will improve us instantly and for a long time to come - but if we wildly overpay to make it happen we still lose. Likewise I'm rapt McGovern is likely to join the Blues, but we still can't afford to pay full market value or overs.

Of course there are also intangibles... membership, showing ourselves as a valid "destination", protection for the younger developing players, etc. So many nuances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back