Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Newman v Kerridge.

They play different positions, not to mention key stats that highlight Newman as a HBF would be metres gained, intercepts per game, rebound 50's and 1 percenters. Kedge will rack up more touches and have more scoreboard pressure, sure. But won't match Newman on those stats that matter in his position of the ground. Funny how he gains more meterage than Kedge though, definitely wouldn't think it. His clangers would be higher this season than last i'm guessing, he was much more impressive in 2017.

At the end of the day he's another mature body coming in and provides depth to others in Williamson, Docherty, Simpson, Schumacher and even Lamb after his backend of last season. In fact he's probably 3rd in line in that list until Willo is 100%

Last edited:
Of course they are trying to posture their position so * pay a premium. But, I don't think SOS is sitting their wasting time for the fun of it, if it has any truth to it. Once again, its a long shot but its coming from different solid ITK's now. Dodoro will get it done, but guess it slightly fuels interest for us Baggers further for tomorrow.

Any good list manager has plan A,B,C,D,E,F etc...and contingencies on contingencies.

As rumoured it is unlikely, but always good to have a verbal deal in place in the event Bombers/GWS do breakdown for whatever reason and be ready to swoop.

Hasn't been any mention of Shiel being open to a trade to us in that event though...and IIRC GWS cannot trade him to us against his will? So interesting game of cat and mouse between Bombers/GWS.

My guess is Bombers will give up 9 and a future 2nd in the end.

I kinda think our gap between pick 1 and the next pick, which I think is 71, is too large in a very good draft year. I would be open to converting pick 1 into multiple picks even if it means missing out on Walsh. I'm guessing we won't trade anybody now so no more picks coming in? Doesn't anybody see the upside to Nicky Graham? Thoughts?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its the price you pay when you bring in MM and Setterfield. Both players will be great for us!
Take Walsh and take 2018's trade/draft period as a massive win

Any good list manager has plan A,B,C,D,E,F etc...and contingencies on contingencies.

As rumoured it is unlikely, but always good to have a verbal deal in place in the event Bombers/GWS do breakdown for whatever reason and be ready to swoop.

Hasn't been any mention of Shiel being open to a trade to us in that event though...and IIRC GWS cannot trade him to us against his will? So interesting game of cat and mouse between Bombers/GWS.

My guess is Bombers will give up 9 and a future 2nd in the end.

Of course! If any truth to it, GWS surely have communicated it to Dylan that it might happen. As you say, don't think they can do it against his will. I also think thats what will get it over the line and they will compromise. Cant see it not happening for them. On the other hand, I would love us to steal him from under their noses because he's being too ****ing stubborn.

Of course! If any truth to it, GWS surely have communicated it to Dylan that it might happen. As you say, don't think they can do it against his will. I also think thats what will get it over the line and they will compromise. Cant see it not happening for them. On the other hand, I would love us to steal him from under their noses because he's being too ******* stubborn.

It would be one of those 'shockwave through the AFL' moments if we could steal Shiel at the last minute...and at Essendon's expense!
I'd be ecstatic. Midfield sorted.

Can anyone recall if a player has ever been traded to a different club in the same period after PUBLICLY nominating another club?
I know Nick Stevens wanted Collingwood but we picked him up in pre-season draft, not a trade.

OK, I'll play. Here are the 2nd rounders from 2012:

Nathan Wright, Spencer White, James Stewart, Tim O'Brien, Tom Clurey, Mason Shaw, Kamdyn McIntosh, Michael Close, Liam Mcbean, Jason Ashby, Tom Temay, Tanner Smith, Ben Jacobs, Jackson Ramsay, Max Duffy, Brodie Murdoch, Mason Shaw, Matthew McDonough, Josh Saunders, Harrison Marsh.

These guys have now been on an AFL list for 6 years. I have genuinely never heard of a quarter of them and as a bunch they have played an average of 22 games in 6 years (only 3 have played >50). To put that into perspective, Kane Lucas played 42 games in his first 5 years.....

OK, here's a game.

Step 1) Randomly pick two of those names.
Step 2) Now compare those two against Mitch McGovern.
Step 3) Laugh at how badly those two compare to Mitch. Especially if you weren't lucky enough to select at least one of Clurey, Mcintosh or Jacobs
Step 4) Repeat
Step 5) Be amazed at how bad the majority of 2nd rounders are

Game 2

Pick out one of those names at random and see if they excite you more than the prospect of a fit Setterfield….

Warning: Game is not suitable for children. Or cherry pickers.

Notes: I've taken out Jack Viney (f/s, rated ~ top 5). I specifically selected 2012 as it was the first year post GC/GWC compromised drafts. But I did not look at the players' names first. 2013 is admittedly much stronger. 2014 is hit and miss. 2015 onwards too early to judge properly.

Great way to put it in perspective.

Playing devil's advocate though, what if we had hung onto that pick #13...

2012 - Jesse Lonergan
2013 - Patrick Cripps
2014 - Lachie Weller
2015 - Matthew Kennedy
2016 - Daniel Venables
2017 - Jarrod Brander

Not a bad list...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kinda think our gap between pick 1 and the next pick, which I think is 71, is too large in a very good draft year. I would be open to converting pick 1 into multiple picks even if it means missing out on Walsh. I'm guessing we won't trade anybody now so no more picks coming in? Doesn't anybody see the upside to Nicky Graham? Thoughts?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
No....I watch a fair bit of Northern Blues as well....Graham is fantastic in the VFL where the pace is slower and he gets to use his skills....but gets caught out in AFL where the pace is much more frenetic.....unfortunately there's a history of players who fall in that category

It would be one of those 'shockwave through the AFL' moments if we could steal Shiel at the last minute...and at Essendon's expense!
I'd be ecstatic. Midfield sorted.

Can anyone recall if a player has ever been traded to a different club in the same period after PUBLICLY nominating another club?
I know Nick Stevens wanted Collingwood but we picked him up in pre-season draft, not a trade.

Mitch Clark was Freo bound until he landed at MFC thanks to $$

Mitch Clark was Freo bound until he landed at MFC thanks to $$
If i remember correctly, freo were struggling to get the right deal for Brisbane, so instead of going back to brisbane or the delisted route, he choose a club that could get the deal over the line.

I maybe wrong though...

If i remember correctly, freo were struggling to get the right deal for Brisbane, so instead of going back to brisbane or the delisted route, he choose a club that could get the deal over the line.

I maybe wrong though...

Must admit, I can’t really remember but thought it was the homesick card that turned into not going where was “intended”.

Think I walked past Mitch the other day here in Perth (tall mofo).

Must admit, I can’t really remember but thought it was the homesick card that turned into not going where was “intended”.

Think I walked past Mitch the other day here in Perth (tall mofo).
Yeah he definitely claimed home sickness. But i feel he also had some family in the melbourne area. Think the freo/Brisbane trade hit a snag. He jumped to the next best option.

But yes, that is one instance.

I do hope we dont get shiel though. Just my preference

Its Newman v Kerridge.

They play different positions, not to mention key stats that highlight Newman as a HBF would be metres gained, intercepts per game, rebound 50's and 1 percenters. Kedge will rack up more touches and have more scoreboard pressure, sure. But won't match Newman on those stats that matter in his position of the ground. Funny how he gains more meterage than Kedge though, definitely wouldn't think it. His clangers would be higher this season than last i'm guessing, he was much more impressive in 2017.

At the end of the day he's another mature body coming in and provides depth to others in Williamson, Docherty, Simpson, Schumacher and even Lamb after his backend of last season. In fact he's probably 3rd in line in that list until Willo is 100%

I know another stat Kerridge would miles ahead in....Fumbles!!! Most underrated stat their is.

Yeah he definitely claimed home sickness. But i feel he also had some family in the melbourne area. Think the freo/Brisbane trade hit a snag. He jumped to the next best option.

But yes, that is one instance.

I do hope we dont get shiel though. Just my preference

Yep, a combo of the Dockers not coming to the party and omnipresent mega offer;
“Melbourne are set to offer Brisbane a much more attractive package for Clark compared to the Dockers, who initially tabled a late first-round pick and no players for the 23-year-old.

Fremantle are reluctant to offer their No.16 pick at November's national draft and a player for Clark. A high draft pick alone is not satisfactory for Brisbane.

But Melbourne are set to present the Lions with selection No.12 plus other compensation picks received by the Demons for Tom Scully moving to GWS.

Melbourne are also set to tempt Clark with a multimillion-dollar deal over four years to sweeten the trade”.

OR on TC:

I imagine most on here would be happy if we could get him for next year's 1st pick?

If bombers secure him it'll cost them.

GWS have contacted Blues to discuss options.

In the unlikely event it falls towards us it'll be next year's first with 4 clubs involved.
I don’t mind GWS using us to make sure Dodo pays up. Pretty much no chance we get him though.

Great way to put it in perspective.

Playing devil's advocate though, what if we had hung onto that pick #13...

2012 - Jesse Lonergan
2013 - Patrick Cripps
2014 - Lachie Weller
2015 - Matthew Kennedy
2016 - Daniel Venables
2017 - Jarrod Brander

Not a bad list...
I'm not all that impressed by that list tbh.

With 1 obvious exception...

I’m 50/50 on Shiel = on reflection from the below is prob more like 40/60..
Pro: improves the midfield now (wants to play inside), can break the lines - which is something we need
Cons: $$ cost is overs, he chose *, draft cost (next year’s 1st is ok with something back our way)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back