Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel it’s a good time to change the coach. I think we’re building a great squad but the gameplan is obviously flawed. New face, new game plan, new results hopefully. We’ve given Bolts unprecedented support and he’s beyond the designated refresh and things haven’t changed as far as results are concerned. I’d love Ratts to come home and reckon he would if asked, but I am open to immediate change as long as it’s not a newbie. We need positive strong vibes flowing through the club and quick.

I am looking for the sarcasm emoji. I cannot see it.

It is Bolts who is generating the positive vibe so sacking him would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Non intentional reference to Bolts height.

I feel it’s a good time to change the coach. I think we’re building a great squad but the gameplan is obviously flawed. New face, new game plan, new results hopefully. We’ve given Bolts unprecedented support and he’s beyond the designated refresh and things haven’t changed as far as results are concerned. I’d love Ratts to come home and reckon he would if asked, but I am open to immediate change as long as it’s not a newbie. We need positive strong vibes flowing through the club and quick.
I hear Malthouse is available.............:think:

Realistically, the whole competition was not open at all. Shiel wanted to come back to Victoria; that immediately rules out 7 clubs, and eliminated the possibility of staying at GWS. He's not a need at the Pies, and Richmond would want him to tackle; shocking state of affairs, wanting your white collar midfield with a decidedly working class attitude. Melbourne could've used his services, but they paid big to a few others and Lever, their cap was becoming somewhat unbalanced, and other contracts - specifically, from us and the Saints - looked more appetizing. Hawthorn are approaching North Melbourne-esque levels of 'Come to us, get in a contract well worth the having!', with the only difference being that they're more successful in getting good players over, and more willing to take a punt on an injury prone player than others are. They're still frantically gesticulating like mad, trying to convince people that their era is not done, not yet; they fail to realise that, short of a flash in the pan, the players that have left do not equal those who remain, and that their ignorance concerning anyone below the age of 25 (aside from Worpel, spruiked as a potential no.1 pick a year out, before falling due to attitude and fitness concerns; a very Hawthorn/Geelong pick indeed) is going to hurt them soon. Geelong have rebuilt subtly, but they're still old and still need their big players to fire for them to win when the heat is on them. All they've done to this point is win at home. And they couldn't have afforded Shiel anyway, not with the price ceiling they set for themselves.

So, the only real candidates for Shiel to go to - in terms of having what he wanted in terms of $$$ and in terms of prospects, short/medium/long - there were only really the three clubs; St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon. He was never going to St Kilda; their trajectory is still, even with their upswing, shaping to be worse than ours. Essendon were fortunate; they were able to tell him that all he'd have to provide was exactly what he already was and he'd have a place in their team. We - us and St Kilda (and Hawthorn) - would have wanted him to grow, to show leadership, to be responsible; in short, we'd need him to continue to improve with us. Instead of going somewhere in which he'd be challenged, Shiel chose instead to be comfortable with who and what he was, exactly as he is; as part of a list that will look gorgeous in attack, but brittle and easily dispatched in defence. It's a decision I can certainly sympathise with, even as it condemns him to forever wondering, after his career is over, if he made a different choice could he have been a better player with a better profile; could he have played in a premiership, instead of choosing to be the career footballer comfortable to exist rather than to attempt to climb to the peak of the sport.

Pretty sure his football afterlife was a big factor in getting him there. Property development training along the lines of ex player Welsh who is now worth 120mill. I really feel he didn't have a preference for the club just what the club could do for him after football.

Pretty sure his football afterlife was a big factor in getting him there. Property development training along the lines of ex player Welsh who is now worth 120mill. I really feel he didn't have a preference for the club just what the club could do for him after football.

Perhaps we should have given him the controls of the private jet. Spark an interest then offer to assist him to gain his commercial pilots licence.

24 - 28 years old with around 100 games plus is basic criteria. Has to be the focus. We have the young talent.

IMO every Pick has to be on the table this year.

You do realise we are obligated to take 3 in the draft? Would expect a couple of mature role players if we can't land a gun, but that would be about it.

Not sure if this has been posted or where I recall hearing it, but Andy Collins from Williamstown reckoned that Carlton were one of two sides that had been sniffing around Mitch Hibberd and Ben Kennedy from the Seagulls for the midseason draft. Liked Hibberd a lot in his draft year, outside mid with a fair kick, Kennedy I don’t know much about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Jack Martin even good?

He’s 24 now, so right in his prime. Stats are ok, reasonably consistent but he’s hardly a game changer.

I guess he fits the age profile and plays a position and role that we need, and if we are using pick 12-15 to get him that probably answers the quesiton

He’s 24 now, so right in his prime. Stats are ok, reasonably consistent but he’s hardly a game changer.

I guess he fits the age profile and plays a position and role that we need, and if we are using pick 12-15 to get him that probably answers the quesiton

He's a good player, not great. His advanced stats from this season are essentially identical to Cuningham's, whilst being 2 years older. Seems to have essentially peaked at what he is now.

I prefer we pursue Papley, although he's contracted and will probably cost a little more, but just a better fit in terms of being a better ground level player with speed.

Has all the talent in the world - we'd be banking on our system in trying to get the most out of him.

It would definitely cost us our Adelaide pick. FWIW - I don't think he plays as a small forward (more of a lead up, leaping forward) but would be a dangerous addition to our forward line!

He's a good player, not great. His advanced stats from this season are essentially identical to Cuningham's, whilst being 2 years older. Seems to have essentially peaked at what he is now.

I prefer we pursue Papley, although he's contracted and will probably cost a little more, but just a better fit in terms of being a better ground level player with speed.
Talented player, but I question if he has the drive to be a great player or if he is just happy being good.

IMO the last 12 months have seen him step up a lot. 24 and 76 games. Ready to go. Has rare ability and I reckon getting into a better system he would really shine.

Having Papley Martin & Cuningham up forward would be very dangerous
Age reporting we are leading the chase for Martin, he would be the perfect get for us.

Talented player, but I question if he has the drive to be a great player or if he is just happy being good.

Yeah, I wouldn't call him soft, but certainly wouldn't praise his intensity at the contest. Can frustrate since he has a lot of raw talent but doesn't seem to work hard enough from an external perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back