Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posed a question for the fact that he suits our age group and is keen to prove himself away from Geelong.

We really should be aiming for speed and not more 190cm + mids.
We have three already and I'd sooner be developing them than loading up on more slowish, tall mids. Waste of time, money and space.

Have to get Setterfield up to speed who has the tools to add a lot more than Constable......and if we can't get Kennedy and Setterfield up to scratch, what makes us think we'll get someone else going?

Really want to see us add things we haven't got this trade period and if goals and X-factor come along with that, all the better.

Been spruiking Cutler for aaaages.

December last year:

Got my eye on Tom Cutler at Brisbane - not because of any whispers I've heard, but because he seems exactly the type of player we should be going after.

Victorian lad. Supported Brisbane as a kid, but might be able to dangle a contract and the pull of home. Out of contract next year.

Turns 24 in Feb next year.
191cm, 91kgs.
63 games already.
Midfielder who can play down back.
2018 avgs from 18 games: 20 disposals @74%, 6.5 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 430 metres gained.
2:1 kick to handball ratio.

Probably costs us a mid second rounder, which we'd need to create somehow (or perhaps use our 2020 second).

Might be a bit ambitious to think we can pry him out of an improving Lions side, but he's one I'd be working on.

Given he's been held out the Brisbane side due to their form and blessed lack of injuries, his price would have dropped for sure. Adelaide's third gets it done without any fuss, and is a price I'd be more than happy to pay. Might even get a little something (late pick swap) back as well.

Last edited:

Yes, by FAR these are the reasons we do not do well in free kicks, not some AFL conspiracy. Our young, weak players get ragdolled or fail to really stick tackles effectively, and do not have the game craft (good term!) to manipulate 50-50 calls in our favour. Trying to win every contest on pure talent and athletic ability is noble and all, but the good players and teams also make sure they get the umpire's assistance too.

Tigers are the Zen Masters of “game craft”.

They bend the rules to the absolute maximum.

Generally end up behind on the free kick count each week - but get away with many, many more than they get pinged for.

Eg Grimes against Charlie Cameron.

There are a few, for various reasons.

Parfitt
Menegola
Bews
Narkle
S Selwood

Parfitt you would think is the most unlikely to move, but he is a real favourite of mine, so would certainly ask the question.

The others might be gettable, many will disagree, but would look at them for sure.

Reasonable and of that list I would target in order Narkle, Parfitt, Bews, Menegola. A no to S. Selwood, as I believe we already have that type in Ed, but I do like his hardness

Good article on SEN regarding Daisy, speaks glowingly of Teague and how much fun he was having since his appointment, speaks of his disappointment of being cut and speaks highly of the club.
Interesting part was him talking about being disappointed, that after being there for the lean years and being a whipping boy that he gets cut, just as the side looks to be on the up.

Must be a frustrating place for him or any player.

I doubt Agresta would be interested unless he considered Cameron to be good.

Little titbit. Was talking to an old friend who has been heavily involved in list management across various levels in the AFL (TAC cup etc).

He was not a big fan of Paul Brodie (out to just build his reputation) but says Michael Agresta is an absolute gun recruiter.

Also couldn't speak highly enough of Cain Liddle - said he will go out and just recruit the best people for the various roles at the club.

Cutler leaves a bit to be desired with his foot skills. I'm not all that excited by it.

He's not an "exciting" pick, so that's not surprising. He's a good value pick-up, who'll be significantly underpriced for what he's capable of delivering.

Good insurance for Willo/Doc, can play taller in defence and provide coverage for Plowman and Marchbank as well, and has the tank to play out games on the wing as well. He'd be a Casboult-type player who covers blokes in that 186-194cm range, and probably surprises by playing 18+ solid games in a variety of roles.

Narkle would be a great great get. Might be entrenched now though. Menagola would be a good get too.
Cutler would also be a good get, a poor mans Isaac Smith but would be a handy player for us.
Absolutely LOVED watching Narkle in the last 3 games of the year. If he has a big finals series though, he may be locked down at the Cattery. Super talented kid who'd be a great recruit and wouldn't think would cost a lot. With the Cats' penchant for trying to target a few more experienced guys on reasonable coin, he could be someone that they say "yeah, okay" to if we stump up a solid pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me, the reasoning behind acquiring Darcy Cameron stems from the fact that we know what we have in Phillips.

If you replace Phillips with Cameron you most likely have the same thing, a VFL ruckman who can play 1's when Kreuzer is injured whilst TDK is still developing.

But there's also a sneaky chance that he could become more than that. For what is likely a free hit, I'd welcome it.

There are a few, for various reasons.

Parfitt
Menegola
Bews
Narkle
S Selwood

Parfitt you would think is the most unlikely to move, but he is a real favourite of mine, so would certainly ask the question.

The others might be gettable, many will disagree, but would look at them for sure.

You probably didn't name Cockatoo given his history of injuries, but if he could put those behind him.......he'd be the one.

A 23 year old that could give a club plenty.....if only....

depends on who you are refferring to. Jones at chb would break lines and chop off a lot more if Talia was left in the square. There's still spots for our other 4 defenders if Doc goes to the Midfield
Weitering is a better attacking option than Talia. Why would we use currency on Talia when we have Jones and weitering as locked in options with Levi, goddard and bsos as back ups?

You probably didn't name Cockatoo given his history of injuries, but if he could put those behind him.......he'd be the one.

A 23 year old that could give a club plenty.....if only....
I'm getting a bit tired of seeing Carlton recruit continually injured players with potential.

Nobody is infallible.

After all someone got Fasolo to the club even though fans said he was cooked and no good anymore at the time.

Alex was another cheap, no risk get on a 1 year contract.

Was worth the gamble.

He's not an "exciting" pick, so that's not surprising. He's a good value pick-up, who'll be significantly underpriced for what he's capable of delivering.

Good insurance for Willo/Doc, can play taller in defence and provide coverage for Plowman and Marchbank as well, and has the tank to play out games on the wing as well. He'd be a Casboult-type player who covers blokes in that 186-194cm range, and probably surprises by playing 18+ solid games in a variety of roles.
I know what he can do, I've seen plenty of him, that's why I'm not all that excited by him.

He probably would be in our team but would be a bottom 4 or 5 player imo and would be in and out a bit.

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing Carlton recruit continually injured players with potential.

I understand and I wasn't suggesting that we should reach for Cockatoo, but if we did know something others didn't......you'd look at it.

I don't know the extent of his issues, but at least someone like Cockatoo is exactly what we'd need.

Weitering is a better attacking option than Talia. Why would we use currency on Talia when we have Jones and weitering as locked in options with Levi, goddard and bsos as back ups?

Because Talia is a huge upgrade on all of those mentioned except for Weitering.

Weitering and Talia would be an unstoppable combination.

Little titbit. Was talking to an old friend who has been heavily involved in list management across various levels in the AFL (TAC cup etc).

He was not a big fan of Paul Brodie (out to just build his reputation) but says Michael Agresta is an absolute gun recruiter.

Also couldn't speak highly enough of Cain Liddle - said he will go out and just recruit the best people for the various roles at the club.

Liddle's actions preseason and mid season have proven he is a very proficient and shrewd operator.

Agresta with SOS's backing hopefully leads to a bounty this off season.

I'm excited where we are heading.

Been spruiking Cutler for aaaages.

December last year:

Given he's been held out the Brisbane side due to their form and blessed lack of injuries, his price would have dropped for sure. Adelaide's third gets it done without any fuss, and is a price I'd be more than happy to pay. Might even get a little something (late pick swap) back as well.

I remember the post, good call

I know what he can do, I've seen plenty of him, that's why I'm not all that excited by him.

He probably would be in our team but would be a bottom 4 or 5 player imo and would be in and out a bit.

Nailed it - and for a late draft pick that's not a bad return.

If he's replaced in a few years, so be it, but I reckon he improves us immediately and has the potential to be a solid long-term player.

Low cost, low risk, medium reward - value recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back