Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour as fact. 40yearblue was right and the majority of this board were wrong.

He had the foresight to see we were going down the wrong track with Malthouse and called for us to go down the modern route (new coach, embrace the draft etc). He got howled down on this board, and I believe even stopped re-newing his membership after 40 years.

I hope that he has made peace with the club, and is enjoying seeing us head in the right direction, even if he can't make peace with the Carlton BF board.

40yearblue... I remember him being a contrarian... and then he would tell you how many games he has attended.

He had the foresight to see we were going down the wrong track with Malthouse and called for us to go down the modern route (new coach, embrace the draft etc). He got howled down on this board, and I believe even stopped re-newing his membership after 40 years.
I hope that he has made peace with the club, and is enjoying seeing us head in the right direction, even if he can't make peace with the Carlton BF board.

I can't speak for 40 yearblue........or was it 50 yearblue, but many cynics are slowly buying back in..........slowly.
Happy that we've heard little of Trigg (I like the guy but it's great that he's kept his profile low) and next to nothing from the board (well done MLG)
Who knows.............we may actually be heading in the path of being a real football club again............Just imagine.

EDIT: What we have to remember is that it has taken a lot of people to change their ways and set us on a slow path to success. We're in no way there yet, but I'm thrilled for what i'm seeing and just as thrilled for what I'm not.
Maybe the baker is finally baking the bread. Is that possible for the CFC? Can we do it this time?

On field seems to be improving but off field we are still a basket case, in particular financially.

I think the Board are expecting the "build it and they will come" strategy, is going to woo back the members, and consequently improve our financial position, but the last seven weeks of success hasn't really resulted in an exceptional spike in membership.

On field seems to be improving but off field we are still a basket case, in particular financially.

I think the Board are expecting the "build it and they will come" strategy, is going to woo back the members, and consequently improve our financial position, but the last seven weeks of success hasn't really resulted in an exceptional spike in membership.
Yeah, should be fixed by now.

I can't speak for 40 yearblue........or was it 50 yearblue, but many cynics are slowly buying back in..........slowly.
Happy that we've heard little of Trigg (I like the guy but it's great that he's kept his profile low) and next to nothing from the board (well done MLG)
Who knows.............we may actually be heading in the path of being a real football club again............Just imagine.

EDIT: What we have to remember is that it has taken a lot of people to change their ways and set us on a slow path to success. We're in no way there yet, but I'm thrilled for what i'm seeing and just as thrilled for what I'm not.
Maybe the baker is finally baking the bread. Is that possible for the CFC? Can we do it this time?
The only positive thing that has come from the MM disaster is that he tore the place down and allowed Trigg a fresh start and hopefully build a modern club, with due process and no shortcuts.

Hopefully the next time Bruce rings up, Trigg will say "Remember the last time you got involved ? How did that work out for us? Leave it to me and SOS, We will brief the Board at the end of the month"

RIP old Carlton. Welcome to the 21st Century new Carlton (15 years after the rest of the comp).

49,100 members to date isn't too bad

Also.

We signed a no-name coach who hadn't even played at the top level.
We let go what many people considered were 3 of our best players.
We didn't sign a big name in FA
We didn't trade for a big name.
We were widely tipped to be last or second last.
Commentators giggled or rolled their eyes when talking about not just the list but the club.

The club didn't make any promises and didn't blow any trumpets.

The biggest thing we had to offer was a #1 pick,and people didn't see those as saviours anymore, and a pick in the 50's called Jack.

That we still might crack 50k is close to a miracle.

We were at risk of dropping under 45k , maybe worse.

Can you imagine what would have happened if we'd had another year of MM?

I can't look back ... I'm in a good place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40yearblue, like a lot of footy supporters on bigfooty, of all clubs... the louder they preach unconditional support of the club, the quicker they are to jump ship when the club does something not to their liking. he was exactly the same but with more words and better spelling.

40yearblue, like a lot of footy supporters on bigfooty, of all clubs... the louder they preach unconditional support of the club, the quicker they are to jump ship when the club does something not to their liking. he was exactly the same but with more words and better spelling.
I don't remember him preaching unconditional support of the club

Yeah it was more he demanded it .

And then the club sacked his man Ratten and out of the cot flew the toys .

Isn't missed .
Pretty sure you're just remembering him demanding supporters to stop whiteanting Ratten. Before, and certainly after, that happened he was a strong critic of the rich benefactors at Carlton.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you're just upset he was right & trying to revise history.

I couldn't handle his "I don't drink so I'm better than you" line, which he wheeled out in every second long winded post.

That's not why he was taken to task by many. Revision 101 I'm afraid.

Plenty of people did not like the Ratten sacking for Malthouse to come in. Plenty of people used constructive criticism regarding Malthouse as his tenure unfolded. His main beef was that we paid out yet another contract and went for the messiah fix. He wasn't on his own in that regard.

40 year old Blue is the only one that decided that he would use every single post to agitate against the club thereafter. He refused to see any good in any player, any game, anything, anytime. He just complained, agitated and popped up after losses to say I told you so.

I know this because of the hours we spent in PM discussions to this end.

Let's not martyr someone so that selling out 150 years of club history to relentlessly throw rocks and stop supporting the players and the Guernsey becomes a desirable thing to do. I'd much rather give a pat on the back to those that expressed their concerns constructively, recognised the club is bigger than one decision or period of time, still supported the players and the jumper and still gave up their hard earned if they could afford to in order to keep the club afloat.

There was nothing particularly sage or unique in the way he went about it. He just threw his toys out of the pram in a big way.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you're just remembering him demanding supporters to stop whiteanting Ratten. Before, and certainly after, that happened he was a strong critic of the rich benefactors at Carlton.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you're just upset he was right & trying to revise history.

My memory of that former poster is crystal clear thanks .
Like the last 15 years , he's now fish n chip wrapping .
Very happy with the new Carlton so onwards and upwards !!

Poor form to speak badly about posters who aren't around anymore for whatever reason ?

Perhaps but given it was raised to champion him at the expense of many who are still here ....

In forum terms ... 'To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth.'

I agreed with him on the whiteanting of Ratten. I agreed with him as far as criticising rich benefactors. In fact I was the first Carlton poster on BigFooty to criticise our benefactors because I did so when I first arrived and I was the second Carlton poster here.

There was nothing new under the sun but the way he went about it after the fact was just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back